Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 silver iteams found in half a hour on worked out patch in dry ground  (Read 1738 times)
kaister

« on: May 18, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »

if you read the topic on wet or dry conditions, you will know how i found these, it was dry ground using my xp goldmaxx power with the standard coil. i have being over the patch many times in damp and wet conditions and considered it worked out, the shilling was about 3" and the other 3 about 5/6 inches. That was all i found there that day and nothing scince, the settings were the same, its really odd. hence my interest in wet/dry soil.
there was a pretty picture of a lady behaind the bit of glass on the broach thing but i tried to clean it and it fell appart. it lookes like her dress was made from tiny bits of opel.
  a really surprising day for me it was during the 1st volcanic ash issue,

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.
ORDOVIC
Rally attendee

DFX & MXT user

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »

Yes, it is very interesting how moisture in soil  affects finds rate.

I go on some fields where there is a lot of Iron on them and it is very hard to produce any finds when the field is damp or wet, these also have been worked hard by detectorists but when they are dry like now, I always seem to pull something out with my Whites MXT.

I reckon when the moisture content in the soil is high the Iron becomes more conductive than normal hence masking good targets,we all know that Iron masks good targets anyway but moisture just aggravates the situation, where a dry field does not make the Iron as conductive and giving a detector with a fast recovery a chance to find a non ferrous target amongst the Iron but one noticeable thing is that the finds are retrieved from depths no more than 4-6" so there is a definite loss of depth in these conditions.There are other fields I detect on which seem to produce better when they are damp or wet but these seem to have not so much Iron on them.

Bye the way,nice finds!

ORDOVIC

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:16:51 AM by ORDOVIC » Logged

Dig it all !.......Explain to the wife where you been later.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:09 AM »

All these theories are food for thought and all make perfect sense when you think about it. I can't ever remember reading of any research that has gone into this subject above the usual "damp soil is more conductive" thus better scenario.
I wonder also if the frequency of the machine has some bearing on the results?
coinhunter

Garrett Ace 150 - User

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »

Nice finds m8 well done Smiley

2010 Finds

1 x Silver Hammered Coin
1 x Georgian Silver Coin
4 x Post Victorian Silver Coins

Josh
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »

A very interesting subject , and one we should all give thought to, I've always seemed to have had good finds in damp conditions ( But saying that have taken much notice ) Probably not but I will from now on .
Anyway super finds well done Wink Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal