Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Team - How many people does it take to detect a spoil heap?  (Read 4237 times)
Junkman

« on: May 17, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »

This always makes me laugh.

Has anyone noticed there is ALWAYS a detectorist searching a spoil heap in Time Team whenever the camera is around. On last nights programme there were TWO of them Cheesy Cheesy

Now, I don't know about you but it doesn't take long to swing your machine over a fresh bucket of soil as it arrives so why are they always detecting the whole spoil heap all the time?. Camera Vanity methinks Grin Grin

On a serious note, Archaeologists are always going on about detecting takes an object out of it's archaeological context, which is a bit riseable in respect of random finds in a fields, but last night, the detectorist found a large Gold hammered in the spoil heap. How did the archaeologists not spot that as they took it out of context??. Surely the detectorists should be in the trench detecting things whilst they are still in context?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:22:32 AM by Junkman » Logged

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »

ha ha,  yes i saw that,  nice coin,  james wasn't it.  he wanted to hang in front of the carmera half the time lol

davtec (dave)

davtec

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:57:39 AM »

yes no headphones bep bep just for the camera Cool Cool Cool

A wise man changes his mind: a fool never will.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:58:59 AM »

ohh yes,  he he,  good Morning Dave,

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:35 AM »

Hi Junkman

I think i seen that program a few years ago,
Was the coin found in a castle moat ?

If i remember correctly the Detectorist was shaking like a leaf with excitement.
They,d have to call an Ambulance if id found a Gold coin lol
Junkman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:25:23 AM »

Hi Junkman

I think i seen that program a few years ago,
Was the coin found in a castle moat ?

If i remember correctly the Detectorist was shaking like a leaf with excitement.
They,d have to call an Ambulance if id found a Gold coin lol

No, this is another Gold hammered found in another spoil heap. That makes 2 now. The damned things are hard enough to find at the best of times but Archaeologists just chuck them out with the rubbish Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:05 AM »

i asked if i could be part of there team when the program first started . i wrote to them pointing out that they were missing a  whole part of the picture by not having a detector working the spoil heap , even said id fit right in with my dreads n beads  Grin Grin and id stay in a tent so no cost to them ,,
as you can guess they said no  Huh but at least i got a reply  Smiley
it is funny how over and over they take a find out of the plough soil and say " its a lovely object but has no achy" value as its from the top soil and out of context then bang on else where how  are robbing "our" history for doing the same thing  Huh Huh Huh
still enjoy the show  Grin and good to see the attitude towards detecting on the show seems better  Grin Grin

geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »

I always used to laugh in the early programs when Mick Aston( hes the one that had all the bright stripy jumpers Grin )used to bang on how people with metal detectors were robbing our history Shocked . And that we only wanted the metal items, how we damaged pottery etc digging through them to get to the coins  Shocked. Then it was OK  Phil  bring in the digger  we want a  trench through here. Huh Huh OK to dig  4ft trench's across the sites with a JCB though that wasn't doing any harm. Grin.

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:04 PM »

He he he he Grin

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

this topic should be called how many people want to dig a spoil heap,,what with fabled hammered gold lying in it  Cheesy Cheesy

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
waltonbasinman
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »

Has anyone noticed there is ALWAYS a detectorist searching a spoil heap in Time Team whenever the camera is around. On last nights programme there were TWO of them Cheesy Cheesy

Now, I don't know about you but it doesn't take long to swing your machine over a fresh bucket of soil as it arrives so why are they always detecting the whole spoil heap all the time?. Camera Vanity methinks Grin Grin

On a serious note, Archaeologists are always going on about detecting takes an object out of it's archaeological context, which is a bit riseable in respect of random finds in a fields, but last night, the detectorist found a large Gold hammered in the spoil heap. How did the archaeologists not spot that as they took it out of context??. Surely the detectorists should be in the trench detecting things whilst they are still in context?

Junkman the coin was found not in an archaeological context. It came from dumped soil that helped fill the moat. The moat was dug around the twelfth century some of the metal finds below the gold coin find were Georgian. Someone at sometime after the house and castle had gone out of use had placed the soil there to level the ground. I know this as I was one of the diggers on the site. This was the same with the Gold coin that was found the first time. Found out of context in dumped soil to level a site.
As for metal detecting for the Time Team. This would be done by a local detectorist known to the local archaeologist and FLO. He or she would be a recorder of there finds with the PAS and would have been doing this for years. If anybody rolls up who no body knows nothing about how do they know when they are gone you were,nt the local nighthawker casing the site.
Junkman

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »

Junkman the coin was found not in an archaeological context. It came from dumped soil that helped fill the moat. The moat was dug around the twelfth century some of the metal finds below the gold coin find were Georgian. Someone at sometime after the house and castle had gone out of use had placed the soil there to level the ground. I know this as I was one of the diggers on the site. This was the same with the Gold coin that was found the first time. Found out of context in dumped soil to level a site.
As for metal detecting for the Time Team. This would be done by a local detectorist known to the local archaeologist and FLO. He or she would be a recorder of there finds with the PAS and would have been doing this for years. If anybody rolls up who no body knows nothing about how do they know when they are gone you were,nt the local nighthawker casing the site.

True, in respect of the programme but the fact still remains, a rather large and rather gold looking coin was dug out and ended up on a spoil heap. How the coin came to be there (in the backfill) is irrelevent as even if it was not in the backfill then it would still have been missed.

waltonbasinman
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

Sorry Junkman the point I was trying to make which I did not make clear was that the coin was found for the second time of that day. The camera did not happen to be there when it was found. It was found in the spoil heap ( again ) just for the camera.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal