Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the Vale with Jaydogg - Saturday 8th May 2010 - Big silver!  (Read 4481 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: May 08, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

Johnny Lovetoken aka Jaydogg and I headed to the murky Vale of Glamorgan in South Wales this morning in search of ancient finds.

The first few farms we visited were not available due to either crop being in place or farmers generally not being around to ask. So with heavy hearts we headed off to one of the first farms I ever secured. Back in those days we were both using the Muskateers, so we thought it would be worth visiting 4 years later with our Explorers.

On arriving at the farm - the farmer treated me like a prodical son returning and reminded me " You never need to knock - just go on" I asked him if we could go in the field which had his quite a substantial herd of cows in? He replied in his normal cheery manner "Don't ask me. Ask the cows!"  Job done.

We skirted around the side of the cows and ended up in a smallish paddock to the side of the beef steaks. After what seemed to be only a few minutes Johnny is shouting to me and doing what looked like star jumps in the distance. I hurried over to him and found an elated Johnny with a Queen Mary (1553-1558) hammered coin in his hand in fantastic condition. We initial thought it was a groat, but are leaning more towards a sixpence. It turned out that it was a good 12 inches down and the signal intermittent - so well done mate on persevering with it and justly rewarded! A stunning find in fantastic condition.  Grin

I returned to my machine, took a few steps and out popped my first ever Georgian fob seal - I was well pleased as its one to cross off my list. Next up popped a strip of silver filigree with some flowers carved into it.

The rest of the morning was spent digging pidgeon rings, Georgian coppers, musker balls, buttons etc. I also found A Pwhelli 1950 Butlins Badge that was unusal.

We left the farm after a few hours vowing not to leave it so long next time and headed to another one we have nearby. Again a mixture of copper coins and I had an interesting guilded brooch.

I left my most unusual find though to the end of the day and thank God I did as it was pretty heavy. I received a signal near a hedge entrance between fields and dug down and down and then even further down, with the signal getting stronger all the time. By now I had visions of a hoard - particularly when I could see some green bronze sticking through. It turned out to be quite an old bridal bit that is complete. Anyone have any idea on its age. I am guessing pre Georgian, but I may be wrong - bloody heavy and my largest find to date!

Cheers
A knackered Neil
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:05:13 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »

more

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 06:01:47 PM »

Horse bit - bronze and copper alloy?

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »

hi neil.
welldone on the day out boys.
looks like you.ve had a cracking day down the vale.
some very interesting artefacts there guys.
and welldone jaydogg with the hammered.great stuff.
great report neil.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »

well done boys,you had a cracking day out with some great finds.viv
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »

Great finds for you both and a nice report Neil Smiley

The Mary is a groat, Spink 2492.

The bit is I think a Liverpool driving bit, probably from the team pulling the plough. Not sure of date - probably Victorian.

And the little fob seal is a great little find - early 19th century.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »

Cheers Peter - I knew I could rely on you. Wink

Johnny initially thought it was a groat, but we are more used to seeing them clipped to Hell and back - hence our uncertainty!

Thanks for the info on the horse bit - I intend to clean it up a bit and hang it in the kitchen.

I am well pleased with the fob seal - we thought it might be georgian or there abouts.

Thanks again
Neil

Cheers Viv and Ray as well!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:42:50 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »

Lovely finds there, Neil. Good on you!

Smiley

mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »

Nice finds Smiley there Neil and Jaydog !! bet that horse bit gave one hell of a signal  Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
Romansue

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »

Smiley Smiley Lovely finds Neil & Jaydog! Well worth getting out of bed for! Romansue Smiley
Mark

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »

Well done guys, sounds like I missed out on a good day!!   Grin

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:08 PM »

excellent finds guys - -well done indeed. Thats the 3rd mary thats been posted in as many weeks.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »

ace finds m8 well done Wink

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »