Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Poll
Question: Would you like a rally that all could attend, without travelling miles ?
Between Cardiff / Swansea - 15 (75%)
Travel across bridge - 2 (10%)
Other - 3 (15%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you like a Local Rally  (Read 7188 times)
150aceboy
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

Just wondering if there would be any chance of a local rally Huh, say Llantwit Major, or in between Cardiff or Swansea, as some of us can't manage to travel to the other rallies etc., as being too far away.
What do you think guys  Wink
Ace  Wink
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »

I thought the point of us travelling some distance for rallies is that there isn't much around here to find, lol. But who knows, maybe someone knows better. Wink

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:30:03 PM »

hard one to answer this one aint it seem as a few weeks ago most people were voting for rallys further afield,,so im going to abstain my vote as i dont live near cardiff/swansea or over the bridge for that matter

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »

i know i cant detect for a good while ,what about Abergavenny or Brecon area ???ask FARMERPHIL Grin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:37:26 PM by CASA-DOS (kev) » Logged
cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »

I dont mind where they, are but local always helps with fuel costs etc... Grin

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »

I think theres not really any such thing as a local rally as we have members  North South East and West , though theres nothing wrong with Rotating the areas around so that its localish to all  members occasionally. I am currently working on the diary of land for the year I will try and work on some land between the Vale and Swansea.

We've got a definate between cardiff and Swansea around September time I cannot be any more precise than that as other forums have caused us a few problems and as such our return journey to bristol that would have been week Sunday is now cancelled.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »

cancelled :(an i was looking foreward detecting them nice ploughed fields that we were on on the first visit to yatton. Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »

i don't think people voted purely to travel long distances to detect,they were asked if they would be prepared to travel up to a certain distance if land was found.viv
waltonbasinman
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »

Thing Is with A local rally as Rob say,s members and regular contributers of this site are based in Somerset, Northampton, Scotland, Berkshire, Herefordshire, etc, etc, etc and a damn fine bunch of people they are to. Last year I asked about a short notice rally near Hereford as A rally had fallen through for Rob and got the go ahead to which it spent the next two weeks hammering down and put the fields under water. It took five months for the water to go to the point that I was able to drive back on the field that would have been the parking. This is just one of the sort of problems that may arise and the sites that are usually used for rallies are the result of months of hard work usually by Rob Tafflaff. He can,t please all the people all the time and his criteria I am sure is getting land that is undetected and has a history. I have found it extremely difficult to obtain fields where the land owner feels comfortable with eighty people at once so Rob must of had this a thousand times. Maybe some members could offer up some fields to Rob.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »

hi everyone

Some of the key features of a rally is its location, it's history and of course its accessibility. Combine this with the willingness of the landowner to allow such a rally to happen and there you have the immense problems that Taff and the DW team have to overcome when assessing a sites potential.

For people attending a rally, cost is a major issue. DW Rallies provide great value for money, if one just considers the rally fee.

The only choice people have to make is do i attend or do i not. There is no pleasing all of the people all of the time.

There have been many occasions when we have been disappointed that we couldn't attend a DW rally. So we just grit our teeth and look forward to the next one.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
zorro
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »

frankly i'd travel anywhere for a DW rally..great crowd, great friends,great vibe.
and if i find something its a bonus.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »

So would I Kev. Would love to get Into the Cotswolds or a 2 Dayer in East Anglia or the Sussex Downs. Anglesey or the Cheshire plain. Hadrians Wall, Lincolnshire or Pembrokshire. All attractive locations with loads of history and with the company we had at Claverham what a lot of brilliant rallies we would have. Only thing missing is Casa Dos Kev, It will be great to see you back mate.
nomad

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »

the farmer here would have a rally but i dont know if there are a great deal of finds to be had,rob has done a eccy here and he has to take this into consideration as if members came and found sod all ,rob and the team would get their ears bent,so to speak...i would travel anywhere to detect mind..
nomad

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »

maybe i could get together with wendover and find some land in bucks to search and we could take abus load up there..
waltonbasinman
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »

Great points Nomad. We have had heated discussion before on here about sites that promise a lot and give little. Would members prefer to have totally undetected land and Detect blind as you,d say. Trouble is three or four rallies finding nothing I think there would be anarchy on DW. I think some knowledge of whats there is to be had. Just so we can have an idea.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal