Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you going to the Foxham or Bushton rally? You bus load of Welsh people. LOL  (Read 15318 times)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »

1.  I believe there will be people of all nationalities at the rally so to single out WELSH people smacks of racial
     hatred. If your spouting out racial remarks then if belies that you have a small intellectual capacity and
     clarity of thinking.

2.  As for the remarks that detectorists steal heritage then I would say this:

How do you think that the Staffordshire Hoard and the Wantage hoard came to light to be enjoyed by
     the British peoples? The Middleham jewel, etc etc etc.

3.  The plain fact is that detectorists have done more for and to preserve the heritage of The UK than
     archeologists. Don't believe me? Just look at the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) database.

4.  The rally will raise quite a bit of money for the church. I don't see National Heritage or similar fund rushing
     to help with cash to preserve our "heritage".

I would say, don't besmirch people who are forking out their cash for a good cause plus having the expense
     of travelling to and from the event. I'm even losing money by taking a day off work to attend.

5.  The finds from the event will be recorded by government Finds Liaison Officers (FLO) onto the UK database
     along with photo's and so will not be 'lost'. It is simply impractical to display all minor finds in museums.
     Infact many national treasures are not on display but stored away in the cellars of museums. This isn't a lot
     different than a detectorist putting his finds in a display case at home except more people will see it at the
     detectorists home.

6.  Most detectorists don't make any money from the hobby when you take out fees, fuel, buying and selling
     their machines, etc. Most of us do it for the love of it and not to make money.

7.  Not legalising detectoring encourages "underground" activities. Isn't it better to have finds declared and
     recorded rather than hidden because the hobby is illegal such as in Ireland?

8.  If you can't find anything to moan about than a well organised and legal village event,, Mr Barton, then
     you would have, in my opinion, a very low quality of life.

9.  Mr Barton:  Are you making a cash donation to the church? I guess not. All mouth and no substinence. There's
     lots of people like you, unfortunately. It's a good job the UK is blessed with people who will get off their backsides
     and contribute rather than just moan about things.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:16:09 AM by rjm » Logged

Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »

Very Nicely put young Bob Smiley Its a shame it will probably be lost on Mr Barton's one remaining brain cell that will no doubt soon die of loneliness Roll Eyes
However slightly more tactful that what i have written Lol.
Interestingly i often visit Poland on Business, Perhaps i'll look him up and invite him out for glass of lemonade next time i'm out there Roll Eyes Wink

Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »

as a metal detectorist that lives in the real world i can see two sides to a argument ,, yes this is a great hobby, no there are some of us that nighthawk and therefore encourage mr bartons comments but on the whole to take a group of people and label them in the same catergory is not really english {or welsh if you prefer} the best thing to do is ignore such individuals the more you bite the more you will antagonise and for the small amount of us that do operate outside the law ,,,,,all detectorists do not need the bad press.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »

Just a point of note

the website heritage action is allegedly run by a nigel swift. The contact details for this organisation are on their website. He appears to be the mouthpiece on this side of the channel. One 'misguided' article form their website is below, i'll leave it to you to form your opinion of this website.

Farming as a threat to heritage places

It is widely recognised that deep ploughing and modern intensive farming methods are wreaking havoc with much of our ancient heritage.

In the past few decades our society has been collectively responsible for the destruction of many of our oldest visible monuments, as it is due to the demands of our society that these methods are used.

In some places every trace of our ancient ancestors has been stripped from the landscape. Today there are nearly 3000 nationally important heritage places, often fragile and irreplaceable, that are in danger of being progressively destroyed through ploughing.

These places are scheduled and legally protected. But there is often no real power to regulate or prevent the damage caused by 'routine' cultivation.

For these reasons we strongly support the "Ripping up History" initiative by English Heritage. This aims to bring about an overhaul of current laws to give better practical protection for archaeology, in full co-operation with

finally, a useful analogy is "they are to our heritage what the BNP are to british politics".

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »

How will we know which farms can be ploughed or not without some form of survey.

I suggest that metal detecting the top soil is a good place to start. The archaeologits are too
expensive to do their surveys!  Grin

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »

the best thing to do is ignore such individuals the more you bite the more you will antagonise

Like we used to say on another forum I've frequented...

DNFTT!

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

Smiley

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »

the best thing to do is ignore such individuals the more you bite the more you will antagonise

Like we used to say on another forum I've frequented...

DNFTT!

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

Smiley

You are suggesting we do a Gordon Brown and ignore the electorate when they ask a question you don't like?  Grin

I say do a Cameron: Smile and give an informed answer.

If you lay down and allow yourself to be kicked you'll be kicked even more. Angry

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »

If you lay down and allow yourself to be kicked you'll be kicked even more. Angry

Neh!

I'm simply saying this guy is nobody, and should be treated as such.

Smiley

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »

hear hear ,,there are always 2 sides to every argument and we all like to think we know best,,,would like to be a fly on the wall if a detectorist and this guy ever sit down to talk, i think it will just turn into a slanging match as we both sit either side of the fence. 

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 07:24:10 AM »

ha ha,  very well said all you peoples 

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »

I didnt like the away the blog was written.
It made out that a bus full of welsh grave robberys were coming to rape the land of all its riches.

1. He should have a look at my finds pouch.........  he wont find anything coz Id have sold everything on Ebay   Tongue lol
2. There,ll be english People and locals detecting as well as us 40 plus Plunders of the english heritage.

I think some already said "Are we our own worst enemy"
I think thats probably correct.
We dont know whos checking out all the Detecting forums, and to anyone that doesnt detect it must look as if you all making a fortune !
You only have to look at ebay to see how much money Detectorits are making.

Dont give people who wants to harm us, the rope to hang us with !

ancientpat

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »

I've heard about the Bushton rally but not the Foxham one?? When and where please!!

Pat. Wink Wink
waltonbasinman
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »

I didnt like the away the blog was written.
It made out that a bus full of welsh grave robberys were coming to rape the land of all its riches.

1. He should have a look at my finds pouch.........  he wont find anything coz Id have sold everything on Ebay   Tongue lol
2. There,ll be english People and locals detecting as well as us 40 plus Plunders of the english heritage.

I think some already said "Are we our own worst enemy"
I think thats probably correct.
We dont know whos checking out all the Detecting forums, and to anyone that doesnt detect it must look as if you all making a fortune !
You only have to look at ebay to see how much money Detectorits are making.

Dont give people who wants to harm us, the rope to hang us with !

Agree with you Phil, you just don,t know who is watching. I have seen enough evidence this last few months that suggests we even have to be wary of our own kind. Mud sticks and some totally irresponsible behaviour from other metal detectorists has made me question once again if I would like to consider a different hobby. All I want to do is be with my family , earn a crust and have some enjoyable days out with friendly like minded detectorists in my spare time. Thankfully I have met some thanks to Detecting Wales but believe me when Mud sticks it can take an awful long time to clean off.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »

I've heard about the Bushton rally but not the Foxham one?? When and where please!!

Pat. Wink Wink

Pat

The Foxham rally is this Fri, Sat & Sun and as I understand is fully booked. It is also in Wiltshire.

Bob

ancientpat

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »

Thanks Bob,

Pat.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal