Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you going to the Foxham or Bushton rally? You bus load of Welsh people. LOL  (Read 15358 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: April 12, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »

Well you have got to laugh (or cry)

http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/metal-detecting-more-wiltshire-local-history-being-flogged-off-to-strangers-for-charity/
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »

Quote:

“The church flogged it to a busload of Welsh people for a few pounds each and it’s no longer here."

Well, if these people are so concerned about us "Welsh people" digging up their history, then why aren't they organising their own archaeological digs to find it and put it on display for their own community? They seem quite happy to leave things rotting in the ground, until we, the descendants of Owain Glyndwr decide to cross the border and take it for ourselves as compensation for centuries of English tyranny.

I'm just glad that these little weenies don't represent the attitudes of the vast majority of English folk who are, in my experience, a bloody nice bunch of people.

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:51:05 PM »

the author of the article is Nigel Swift,  Chair of the UK-wide group Heritage Action. In a reply to an article written on their website on the 26/03.09, he writes
"We are not archaeologists Mr ********, we are ordinary people".
this brought about a response which was followed soon after another by a supportive comment to Swift's post written by a 'paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants'

Coincidentally, he works very closely with another anti-detectorist - paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants,  collaborating as co-writer to wite a book entitled "Britain's Portable Antiquity Heritage: Artefact Collecting and the Archaeological Record (Hardcover)  by Paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants (Author), Nigel Swift (Author)" -

note the similarity to the portable antiquity scheme title and how this was used as a subtle means to confuse the buyer into thinking it was a work produced by the PAS.

the blurb used to advertise this book [£55 a time] states
"In recent years the discourse on artefact hunting and portable antiquity collection, and their relationship to archaeology in Britain, has become dominated by a particular blend of ideas grown up around the ethos of 'liaison'.

These have had a far-reaching impact and are reflected in almost anything that is currently being written about artefact hunting and portable antiquity collection. This book takes as its starting point an examination of some of the fundamental assumptions on which this model is based and subjects the rhetoric of this discourse to careful analysis.

As a result, a somewhat disturbing alternative picture emerges. After a historical chapter, artefact hunting and collecting are discussed with reference to basic principles of archaeological practice and ethics. The phenomenon is also examined against the background of portable antiquity collecting and the antiquities trade.

The authors then move on to consider justifications offered by the advocates of collecting both in the hobby itself and the profession; the role of the media in forming public opinion; the part played by metal detecting; the use of personal collections as a means of curating Britain's archaeological record; and the role of the Treasure Process and export licences in creating a national heritage from the finds of artefact hunters. Alternative proposals for dealing with the problem are also presented.

basically, they are 2 men invovled on a mission, which fails to acknowledge the fantastic work that detectorists do, in recording, researching and recovering artefacts - [more than most archies come to think of it!]

one good point, is that he is allegedly, quite an expert on stained glass
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:18:16 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
waltonbasinman
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »

Quote:

“The church flogged it to a busload of Welsh people for a few pounds each and it’s no longer here."

Well, if these people are so concerned about us "Welsh people" digging up their history, then why aren't they organising their own archaeological digs to find it and put it on display for their own community? They seem quite happy to leave things rotting in the ground, until we, the descendants of Owain Glyndwr decide to cross the border and take it for ourselves as compensation for centuries of English tyranny.

I'm just glad that these little weenies don't represent the attitudes of the vast majority of English folk who are, in my experience, a bloody nice bunch of people.

Not strictly true Leighton. Although that side of the border is called England it has strictly speaking not been run by a English monarch ever. The borders we recognise today are only a remnant of the unification of the kingdoms of the late Saxon period. Since this unification we have had no true English bloodline and it is well documented that the most native of all the Home peoples are the Walea ( Foreigners) or Welsh as they were called and I may be wrong but the DNA study of the last millennium has shown that most Welsh Would appear to be Irish and Scandinavian in Origin. True Welsh would account for less than 1% of the population. It made me laugh tonight on BBC Wales at Aberaeron Yacht Club and what the election wants for that part of Wales. Everyone they spoke to had a English accent.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »

The Welsh -Irish connection is not that we came from Ireland but rather both sets of ancestors came from Northern Spain, The Welsh branch absorbing and slightly changing the language while the Irish settlers seem to have brought their language with them. Both speak a Celtic language with a common ancestor, the Welsh speaking Brythonic, a language spoken in Britain and Gaul and the Irish speak a Goidelic language which is Iberian (spain).
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »

Oh, I already knew some of that, Paul. I was just having a rant.

Good info though, mate.

Roll Eyes

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »

as they obviously read our threads, i have a message for Mr.the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants and co.....i will be on the bus...please come along and have a chat to me , face to face, instead of sniping behind your computer....you will learn that i, and my colleagues, are not the villians you like to make out we are.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »

The best is Byron he can't, he lives in Poland Undecided. He's a long range sniper of the cowardly sort Cheesy
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »

I too have a message for mr the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants, I cant actualy say what i want to, but here is a Pre Watershed version

UP YOURS !!! YOU BRAIN DEAD SELF OPINIONATED RACIST BIGOT!!!!
And further more, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits (assuming they already dont!)

Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »

The best is Byron he can't, he lives in Poland Undecided. He's a long range sniper of the cowardly sort Cheesy
[/quote     well is'nt that just typical....tut......byron]

minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »

So even though he's quite happy to be the self appointed advocate of the British people for protecting their heritage, he doesn't wish to actually live amongst those people or their heritage.

Anyone have details on his tax status?

Roll Eyes

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »

tax status = DODGER !

minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »

Ive deleted my last post because it might have made me look a bit Childish lol

seeker

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:05 AM »

"This guy is VILE...........
He will NEVER be swayed. He is a one man crusade against detecting.
Fortunately the pro detecting archaeologists think he is a PRAT, but he is SERIOUSLY against detecting and will do anything in his power, mainly through his blog to discredit us."
but he can only do this if we let him . im fast thining the biggest thret to metaldetecting ive seen in my over 30 years in the hobby is the internet  Undecided

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »

Your right he is on a crusade of hate for metal detecting, but part of me is thinking his blog is his only way to fame which he is enjoying, I think that if every detectorist stopped logging on to his blog for 6 month he would cease to exist.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal