Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Foot assisted Sand Scoop  (Read 10962 times)
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« on: April 02, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »

There seems to be a lack of good stainless steel foot assisted sand scoops for use on sand and in the water.

I'm looking for a travel one (two piece handle).

There's plenty of web sites doing them in USA but not much here.

Anyone any ideas?

Tarot (Bob)
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »

Hi RJM

I am also looking for a long handled sand scoop, but as you say they are hard to find. The only one I can find in the UK is from Detecnicks priced at £149, although this is a one piece handle.

I have been considering converting a hand scoop. The one below is from Staffordshire MD, and costs £39. It would be quite easy to remove the handle, and replace it with a longer one. In your case, you could use an aluminium telescopic pole like decorators use.

SPEEDY SAND SCOOP
The scoop has 5/8" diameter holes punched into the sides and the back of the scoop, and is made from aluminium The bucket of the sand scoop is 5" in diameter by 7" long. The handle is welded to the top of the sand scoop. The handle is curved for easy digging. Very lightweight, weighs less than 12 ounces.

The new pole could be welded on at the correct angle (about 20 degrees) and braced, or bolted on using strong brackets.

Just and idea.

Regards Tarot (Bob)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:04:03 PM by Tarot » Logged

Invenire Et Conservare
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

Yes I saw the Detecnicks one but it's a bit steep at £149 !

They seem to be dozens of websites in the USA doing various one in stainless steel, aluminium and steel with various designs and the prices are a lot cheaper too!

I have a prototype made which I am going to take to a factory next week to see if they can do me one in stainless steel with a two piece handle, and if so the price.

Depending on the price I might have a few made and sell them on as they are virtually unobtainable in the UK. I believe the one Detecnicks have is an American import.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Tarot (Bob)
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »

Depending on the price I might have a few made and sell them on as they are virtually unobtainable in the UK. I believe the one Detecnicks have is an American import.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Great idea, I look forward to hearing how you get on. I would certainly consider buying one, depending on the price.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Invenire Et Conservare
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »

I think it's a bad idea to pay £39 for a hand one only to modify it.

I found the foot assisted scoop needs to be about 10 inches long and 6 inches circular minimum to be effective.

Looking at the hand one in your picture, I don't think it's big enough to work efficiently.

Foot assisted is the way to go as it saves a lot of bending and stress on the hand. You can scoop, check and move on a lot quicker than working with a hand scoop.

Tarot (Bob)
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »

The modification was just an idea, I would much prefer the real thing. Have you got any details or pictures of your prototype (size etc)

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Invenire Et Conservare
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »

Photo attached (copyright applies) Grin

I will put a kick plate on the back..........and the handle will be two piece.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:05:30 PM by rjm » Logged

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »

I made a sand scoop out of a Green plastic fuel can a few years ago
That worked really well

I cut a sand scoop shape out with an angle grinder retaining the handle of cause.
and  then used an cordless drill and perforated it

I found i was spending so must time sieving out the pebbles just to find a ring pull I binned it.lol

Tarot (Bob)
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

Wow, for the prototype that looks great. Good luck on your visit to the factory, it will be interesting how they cost the project.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Invenire Et Conservare
zorro
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »

Here's the home made sand scoop that myself and beachboy have used for years.
It's made from 4" plastic drainage pipe, cut 10" long. heated with blow torch and flattened slightly in front, 5mm holes drilled through, and a brush handle used  heat and bend the side sedges just enough for your fingers to fit.
Advantages are its very strong, will easily take my weight..just tried, and because there are no metal parts you can hold it over your coil to see whether find is in scoop. I have tried foot assisted scoops that i have found way too heavy. although if you plan on detecting in water they are a must.
ORDOVIC
Rally attendee

DFX & MXT user

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »

Great idea Zorro !

I have seen detector shops selling plastic scoops for £15-£19, If you got to any boat chandlers you can buy a plastic boat bailer for £3.00 and drill some holes in it, which I suspect that,s what the detector shops are selling.

ORDOVIC

Dig it all !.......Explain to the wife where you been later.
zorro
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

probably mate, just be wary of the thickness of the plastic. the drainage pipes are quite thick, which means it doesn't buckle when being pushed into wet sand unlike some so-called proffesional ones.
Tarot (Bob)
Rally attendee

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

Hi Zorro (kev)

What did you use for the end cap on the 4" drainage pipe, and where did you get it from.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Invenire Et Conservare
SEAHAWK

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »

there is a good video on youtube show's you how to make one it look's good enough and strong to 

SeaHawk
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »

hi bob (tarot) he bought it from a builders merchant i think it was travis perkins it works really great.viv

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal