Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I often wonder!  (Read 2670 times)
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« on: February 14, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »

I went out on a club today & the total Hammered count was 5 that I know of.

Even though this was held on an exceptionally large field this in my book should be classed as a Hoard, also what happens when an individual finds let's say a hammered coin in field A one week then he/she finds another couple in the same field a few weeks later?

Surely this should also be reported as a Hoard but how many of us do?

I know I don't but It hasn't really crossed my mind until today.

Makes me wonder Huh

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »

But see this extract from the Treasure Act Code of Practice BB:

So far as concerns finds consisting exclusively of coins, again any decision will be for the coroner, but only the following three categories will usually be considered treasure: (a) hoards, which have been deliberately hidden; (b) groups such as the contents of purses, which may have been dropped or lost and (c) votive or ritual deposits. In the case of votive deposits, the ‘same place’ (see paragraph 14) may include deposition in a well or sacred spring or within a temple precinct, or within a similar location judged to be of ritual purpose. (All groups of fewer than ten base metal coins found on their own are excluded.) Assemblages of coins that may reasonably be interpreted as individual losses accumulated over a period of time and that were in all probability never deposited in physical association (for example those found on settlement sites or on fair sites) should not normally be considered treasure.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:31:56 AM »

Cheers for that Peter, I guess it must be a fine line between a "casual loss" and maybe a "Scattered Hoard".

It just crossed my mind as every time we go out we normally find at lease 3 or 4 Hammered in each field and they certainlt add up after a few months!

Regards

BB

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
llanelli club
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:16 PM »

if same king /queen reigns or side by side say maybe hoard especially higher mint coins .
it is very possible if you find 10 lizzies within a few yards square but  20 in a field is not uncommon and being casual losses you wouldn't call a scatering of modern coins near a path way a hoard so treat it that way....
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:57:01 PM »

yes a hoard may be split amungst the area of over 50 yards  but they are usually classed only if same monarchy

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simon c

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »

Not sure what should really be called a hoard,but as the above post's state if two or more coins of a similar date,are found near or could have been at one time together then they would qualify as treasuer,but if it was a fair site several coins of the same age could still be casual losses,i remember a local detectorist finding a small hoard recently in a glased pot and they included 40 coins dating from Mary,Elisabeth 1,James 1 and Charles 1 so they don't nessesarily need to be the same monarch,personally i would say that most small hoards are in fact purse losses,and i would love to know how with out the evidence of a pot or container, you tell the differance between a purse loss where the purse has rotted away and a scattered hoard with no pot ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal