Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Next step up?  (Read 6666 times)
Big E

« on: March 27, 2010, 07:33:28 PM »

Ladies and gents

I have an Ace 250 at present (about 4 weeks) but looking at possibly upgrading now.

So, what do you chaps think I should be looking at?
I am hoping to have around £400.

Cheers Ian
Big E

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

forgot to say, mainly used for fields/woods and very occasionally for beach work Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:53:20 PM »

I would advise looking at a nearly new Minelab Xtera 705, it's still not the greatest wet sand machine but does have a beach setting and on land there are not many machines that can better it.
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »

I'm tempted to say look at the Minelab and Whites machines, But don't under rate the ACE, its a very good machine, no use on wet sand but very capable on the dry stuff.
Light as a feather and cheap to run, well worth hanging on to as a back up machine Wink
The fishers are also very popular at the moment. Minelab multi frequency machines are very stable on wet sand and mineralised ground, they also ignore hot rocks Wink
See if you can borrow a machine, are you a member of any clubs?
Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »

ah, posted together Geoff Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:07:14 PM »

I'll second Karl's 'try before you buy' suggestion. I started off with the Ace 150 and recently upgraded to a Minelab X-Terra 705. Before I settled on my final choice, I was lucky enough to be offered a try out of a few other machines to see how I got on with them (thanks, guys). So, if you are in a club, or have detecting buddies who would be willing to lend you a machine, then by all means, ask. The worst they can say is no.

Also, remember that there's more to a good detector than its functions. If you're going to be out for several hours detecting, you need a machine that you are comfortable carrying, so things like weight, balance and grip should be considered.

And don't forget, you don't have to buy new. If you look around, there are always quality second-hand detectors on sale, which means you can get a high end machine for a fraction of the cost of buying it new.

Hope that helps. Smiley

zorro
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »

big E, whilst the advice given here is very sound i'd agree with the "try before you buy" theory. if you going on the 2 day rally ask about, im sure there'll be plenty of guys who are happy to let you borrow their detector for an hour or so.
i use a minelab myself but that doesnt mean they are right for everyone. try a few first if you get a chance, you got nothing to loose.....except money.
OzzyHeadSteve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, R.A.R.E, FID, BRECON MDC

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »

Mate try as many machines as you can before you buy one for yourself  Smiley Smiley

Grin Grin OZZYHEADSTEVE  Grin Grin

Big E

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »

thanks guys. I appreciated all your advice.

Not in any clubs as none near me, but will ask at a couple of dealers and see what they offer.

I must admit I was looking at Minelab SE/Explorer as they have a good write up and seem very popular, but also buying second hand rather than new as you tend to get some really good bargains, and possibly a few of those valuable extras.

Cheers
Ian
OzzyHeadSteve

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »

Ian mate if you buy an explorer SE and need a programme drop me a PM  Grin Steve Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin OZZYHEADSTEVE  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Big E

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:34 AM »

Thanks Steve that would be greatly appreciated.

I am keeping an eye out for a 705 to go and have a look at but they are a bit elusive near me at the moment.
I am going to view/try an Explorer SE Pro and a Sovereign XS2 soon.
Any preferences on either of these two?

Cheers Ian
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »

The Sovereign range has been and are great detectors, on pasture and the beach there are still very few that can touch there depth, but I think after coming from the Ace 250 you may find it a bit frustrating not having any VDU and having to go entirely by the tones. the SE is a more "modern" machine and when you have mastered it you will not want for another for many years (baring new inventions) but I think you will be hard pushed to find one for under £600.
With the 705 please remember that it predecessor  the XT70 has exactly the same performance and the only "improvements" have been the addition of a backlight and some short cuts to already available functions, oh and a colour change, so check out the 70 as well.
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:23:18 AM by Chef (Geoff) » Logged
OzzyHeadSteve

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »

Hello Ian mate Smiley I agree with Geoff about the above i first started out with an ace 250 then upgraded to the sovereign gt. the gt was great on the sand but i could not get on with it on pasture. it seemed to slow to recover from signal to signal. so i sold it for an xp goldmax power i did not have a clue what to do with it then i joined a club and bought a second hand explorer se pro and never looked back.
My partner has the 705 and i have to say it seems to be every bit as good as the SE
now i have been on a few rallies i see people using the sovereign gt with no problems at all i just did not know how to use it.  Wink MAKE SURE YOU TRY BEFORE YOU BUY Wink

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin OZZYHEADSTEVE  Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:45:23 PM by OzzyHeadSteve » Logged

Big E

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »

Guys
Many thanks for all your help and advise. I have decided to hang on a few more weeks to make sure this is something I want to stick with and not just one of those whims, that my wife keeps going on about  Roll Eyes  Grin

I have just been given permission for a couple of farms that have not been searched (to the farmers knowledge), so I am going to buy a Propointer which will hopefully speed the digging/locating bit up a little bit, and just hopefully make things a little easier.

If all well and good I will sell my laptop and al my fishing gear to upgrade where necessary.

Once again, thanks  Smiley

Ian
Pipster
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Minelab E-trac & Deus user

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »

Hi Ian,
I have a whites prizm 5 that you are more than welcome to try if you are local to Caldicot.
Phil

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal