Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting frustrated - Pin-pointer, good idea?  (Read 7049 times)
Dusty

« on: March 21, 2010, 02:11:53 AM »

Hey guys.

Had a few hours out over the past few days with the SE, still 'trying' to get to grips with it, only seem to be finding gun shells and deformed bullets.

The one things that's really getting on my t£ts just now is how deep I'm digging and the length of time its taking to recover a target. Some people have been saying there is not need for a Pin-pointer the detector will do that job better than most which is fair comment for the pro detectorist but I'm not  Angry   Grin

DID think about getting a Bounty Hunter but reports are they is pooh - build quality etc... Apart from the Sun-ray coming in at anywhere between £130 and £199 the only other good alternative is the Garrett at a 'kick in the balls, eye watering' £85 sheets...

So guys, does it warrant the price tag for us lot in the field?
OzzyHeadSteve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, R.A.R.E, FID, BRECON MDC

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:01:40 AM »

Dusty as far as i concerned  even a pro detectorist could use a pin  point probe. look at it this way the quicker you recover a target the quicker you move on to the next one. you say you are finding gun shells and deformed bullets these are brass and lead and you will find that these give the same responce as other good targets. i have a Garrett pro pointer i have tried loads of others but these are the best and well worth the money mate

OZZYHEADSTEVE

detectordave

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:45:12 AM »

A pinpointer is a very good bit of kit and will always come in handy when detecting,the garret is about the best there is.Having read some of your past posts you seem to be having some problems so i hope you dont mind if i ask a couple of questions
how long have you been detecting?
are you in a club?
The reason i ask are if you joined a club if that is poss you would get a lot of help and also get out onto land where the members can show what youre doing wrong ( if anything )

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
Dusty

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »

how long have you been detecting?
are you in a club?

Hey Dave, not in a club just yet but am seriously considering it. Free advise is almost invaluable in using this detector and land to detect on etc..

Ive probably been detecting for just over a year on and off with my trusty 250. I sold that when I wanted to upgrade and found this SE. Its a step learning curve but I'm determined to stick with it and just wanted some advise on the Garrett. Ill probably end up getting one, something that make recovery more swift can only be a winner!

Gonna get my ass out today and have an hour in a park or playing field - the more i get out the more I will learn!!!!!

Thanks chaps  Wink
OzzyHeadSteve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, R.A.R.E, FID, BRECON MDC

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »

Hi Dusty
|I swear by the Garrett pin point probe i have tried numerous others and these are the best

Give these people a ring and ask for Laura

http://www.detecnicks.co.uk/

mention that you are a detecting wales member and want the discount that Karl has arranged with her and you will get a discount.

Hope this helps

OZZYHEADSTEVE

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »

hi guys,,,, garett probe eh,,, what can i say,,, i wouldent be without it definately a good piece of kit and worth 85 squid if i lost mine tomorow would buy another asap.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »

dusty...the explorer will find the smallest of targets.....it is a problem...i found at least four minute bits today...but...it also finds the goodies.....as the old adage goes..".you have to walk over it to find it "....dont give up mate...perservere...you have one of the best machines there is.....keep swinging....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
Dusty

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »

dusty...the explorer will find the smallest of targets.....it is a problem...i found at least four minute bits today...but...it also finds the goodies.....as the old adage goes..".you have to walk over it to find it "....dont give up mate...perservere...you have one of the best machines there is.....keep swinging....byron

Ha, wont let myself give up Byron, this detector cost me 500 sheets - its gonna work for me now  Grin

Thanks mate.....
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:38:36 AM »

You need a good Pinpointer like a Garrett with the Explorer range there not known for there pinpointing ability's
I have no trouble at all with my Fisher
I only use mine on very small items thats been dug out and in the spoil
I did  spend more time than normal yesterday  looking for a target though I think i just wasn't concentrating
A Big thanks to Benny helping me find a cartridge end ;0( grrrrrrr lol
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:22:53 AM by PHIL YNYSBOETH (R.A.R.E) » Logged
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »

Hey guys.

The one things that's really getting on my t£ts just now is how deep I'm digging and the length of time its taking to recover a target
So guys, does it warrant the price tag for us lot in the field?

I use an se pro, and find even after a few years use, if you begin to dig deep as you state, you need to check that the target might be in the side walls of the hole, or isnt falling down as you dig.
 Generally using pin point is accurate, the target should be centre of coil, it does take practice though. Before shelling out £85 I would practice 1st using the pin point and get it right, i dont agree that teccting is a race, time taken to retrieve a target stops it becoming damaged ! The use of any probe aids finding very small targets, that the coil sees but you cannot. Hope this helps.  Grin
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »

I use a Minelab Quattro and to be honest the pinpointing is complete rubbish with it. I have an old C Scope that pinpoints accurately every time. I use a probe and have found it excellent. Wouldn't be without it.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »

I dont know if it was because i had a standard coil on my EXP 11 but i found pinpoining very hit and Miss
I found differant soil conditions played a huge part.

I cant talk for the whole Minelab range but I would have loved a Garrett pin pointer with the 2 that ive owned.
Having depth is great but even with good Target Id, 80-95 of your finds will be trash (depending on the site)
A pin pointer is a must if you want to find the item and move onto the next swiftly,
Nothing more frustrating then scaring into a deep dark hole,thinking should i leave this one or keep looking 
Id love a Garrett pinpointer but im happy with my cheapy now ive got a machine thats good at pinpointing.

all the best
Phil

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56:54 AM »

I ended up investing in the Garrett - expensive bit of kit I know but I ain't fond of digging for ten minutes trying to find something and running the coil over every bit of dug up soil. I want to detect, dig, probe, find and move on.... It'll keep me interested and not much time is lost arsing around....

Do I lack patience lol  Grin
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »

lol Dusty

Im very impatient
Ive left things in the ground and walked away before now
And i wonder why i havnt found a hoard yet lol

all the best
Buddy !
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord