Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have give up the fags.....I hope  (Read 3202 times)
adesace

If I was a rich man

« on: March 15, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »

I have smoked for 24 years and today was the day i gave up. I worked it out that we spend 5400.00 a year on fags. Oh my god how many metal detectors would that buy. But most of all Ive done it for my kids. The reason i have put this up is there must be some ex smokers out there and i would like to here how you got over the urge to have a cigarette

Ade
detectordave

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:30:39 PM »

Best of luck to you on giving up.When my wifes aunty give up she put the money that she would have spent on fags into a bottle by the end of the year she had saved enough to pay for a family holiday to the states.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

Hi Adesace, I smoked for ten years and have been a non smoker for a year and three months.  I didn't use patches, gum or anything else to give up I just did it, but It took many attempts.  The last attempt I didn't feel the urge to smoke at all, which I thought odd at the time as every time before that I couldn't go long without a cigarette, but I took that as a sign and stuck with it.  It took a while to accept that I was a non smoker and get used to abandoning my routine of fag breaks, especailly when out metal detecting, but I soon overcame it.  It helps if you are stubborn too  Wink giving up smoking aint easy but if you really have the will to do it then you will succeed, I hope you stick with it  Smiley

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »

I have been taking champix tablets off the doctor ive stopped smoking now for 3wks these tablets are brilliant you dont crave for a fag you just think now and again you fancy a fag but then after a couple of seconds it goes  i was a heavy smoker it wouldnt be nothing to me to smoke 60 a day you have a few side affects off the tablets headaches etc but thats nothing compared to your life if you keep smoking you will have more than a headache i used to use pumps for my chest now i dont i walk better breathe better and smell better i do fancy chewing a chewing gum helps a lot or a sweet lolly with a plastic stick with a hole going through it when the lolly is gone keep the stick to put in your mouth and use like a fag but you wont need this for long good luck let us know how you are doing  Grin

OzzyHeadSteve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, R.A.R.E, FID, BRECON MDC

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

Congratulations for making the decision to give up I gave up 7 yrs ago after smoking for 22 years at roughly 20-30 a day I would recommend going to the doctors and asking for patches as that is what I done and from the day I put my first patch on I didnt want to smoke at all and now the smell turns me sick.
Also founf that chewing gum helped and also eating polo mints.
Good luck and let us know how you are getting on.
Before I went to the doctors I had tried giving up myself loas of times but never stuck to it for more than a couple of days
good luck
debs

bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »

well done ade..... Wink...you wont regret it mate....i used to smoke 50 a day !!..but i gave up many years ago.....i feel you have to go cold turkey to give up...no other way......keep at it and you will soon realise the benefits of not smoking.....your health will improve..you wont smell like an ashtray...and you will have more money in your pocket.... you wont be treated like a second class citizen in todays non-smoking society !......no more standing out in the cold, just to have a drag....good luck...i wish you success !....  ps..   i still eat loads of polos !.... Grin....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »

Congrats Ace !

I should imagine giving up is hard work
Ive never smoked and never really been into drinking
I was going to make starting  Drinking and smoking my new years reselution this year,
Just so id have something to give up the following year   Tongue
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:01 AM »

"  FAGS ARE DRAGS "
    well done on giving it up ............. stick to it  Wink
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:53:13 AM by CASA-DOS (kev) » Logged
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »

Well done |Ade.  i hope you beat it,  darn old dried out compost heaps hey,
 must try again myself one day,
 Best of Luck with it,
Alan

Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »

yeah your right too Molefink,  been too much going on for me this year,  the time will come and iv'e got the patches and false fag at the ready for when  things calb down here,  must get some lollies and chewing gums in too then,

beachboy (viv)

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

ace, keep it up you will feel the benefits of it,i packed it up 30 years ago,put the money away every day counted  it every day,had enough to buy a video, never counted it again just looked at the video,that was my insentive and to me i am alive today.viv
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:34:51 PM »

hows the non smoking going fella well i hope, my missus is giving up tomorow {time to hide} last time she gave up i was hiding in my sons bedroom for the first 2 months{it was like living with dr jeckle lol}she did pack up for 5 years though........ i soppose i will be glared at for having a fag tomorow might build a potting shed to hide in.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »

Thanks for all your support folks. I am still not smoking and i feel great. Yesterday was a bad day for me I was right grumpy git. But today i feel wonderful. I decided not to have any help. I said to myself everyday IT WILL NOT BEAT ME. I am stubburn bugger when i want to be.
Cheers

Ade
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

well done ade, on getting this far. it only takes about a week for the body to adjust to no nicotine, but it will take a month or so, to reject the surplus tar within.

i think its great what you have done, if u can go one day without, you can go forever without. enjoy the extra money in your pocket.

i'm backing you all the way.

cheers
alan

ps  - going sunday??

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »

Well done Ace !

When my Ex father in law give up in his late 60s he put the money he would have spent on fags in a pot with in 2 years he had enough to by newish car .
He only had another year to enjoy it mind he died of lung cancer.

your doing the right thing ;0)

all the best
phil

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal