Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 250  (Read 6521 times)
Big E

« on: March 13, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »

I have read a few bits where people say that the 250 is good in dry sand but poor in wet sand. Does anyone know if this also relates to shallow stream and gravel beds?

I trundled down a small stream today and got the reading bouncing all over the place. I did do a couple of test digs but found nothing  Roll Eyes

Ian
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »

Good question, Ian. Garrett do say that the coil is fully submersible, so I took that to mean you could detect in fresh water. I was always told it was the salt in the sea water that gives detectors the trouble they have on wet sand. I'd be interested to hear an explanation for this.

badboy
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »

dont know ive got the 250 but never been to the beach i cant use it on farm land any one got a good program for it
Techony

Research - Recover - Record

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:07:16 AM »

Badboy, after a couple of days hunting in serious rain with my Garrett 1500, it became very unstable, despite having a control box cover. Bouncing, as you say, all over the place. To fix this, I took out the batteriies, gave the machine a good clean down, and then dried it in the airing cupboard for a good 24 hours. I don't know if it was the coil that had become damp or the control box, but the drying out definitely seemed to cure the problem.

Good Luck

Tony
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:15:42 AM by Techony » Logged

NARC.org.uk                "You can have my Deus when you prise it from my cold dead hand"
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:44:35 AM »

hallo fella, i use the 250 and havent had any trouble using it in small streams and the occassional river bed but on wet sand it can be a bit jumpy. To stop this though i just turn the sensitivity down to around 4 bars and it seems to solve the problem. Oviously you wont get the same depth then but ya will still find stuff mate. hope that helps  Wink  What colour is the silt on the stream you was in mate ? if its a shitty orange colour there will be alot of iron in the water i think  Undecided

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:37:35 AM »

What colour is the silt on the stream you was in mate ? if its a shitty orange colour there will be alot of iron in the water i think  Undecided

and if you see green, dig all two way signals, could be a sign of bronze age activity  Wink
SEAHAWK

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »

SeaHawk
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »

Hi Ian

Generally its the minerals in wet sand that gives Single frequency machine problems,
Ive never owned an Ace 250 but there might be a way or using it on wet sand.
Try not being so greedy with the sensitivity, you might loose a bit of depth but it might give your ears a rest lol
Ive got a Fisher F75 SE and they say they are the worst machines for wet sand, and i would have been the 1st to agree until i had some advice off seasoned F75 users, just need a bit of fine tuning to make them usable.
Im not getting far off the depth i was getting with my Explorer but its much quicker over the sand and 2 ton lighter  lol

Atb
Phil

SEAHAWK

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »

i shall take on board what you have said and thank's for you'r reply regards seahawk

SeaHawk
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »

Nice video , well  what the video said is completly right low discrim and its still good on wet sand.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »

The new euro ace 250 should sort out some of the problems with salt wet sand and I think raise a few concerns with the competition.
It's nice to see a USA manufacturer put some thought into making a machine for Europ's contaminated soils. Well done Garrett.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal