Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: minelab explorer xs on the beach settings?  (Read 7504 times)
kaister

« on: March 09, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »

Hi i have a xplorer xs and had about 10 hours on land with the quick start settings. I am going to the beach for a weekend, its golden sand on one beach and slate ish stones on the other,
i want to hunt for jewlery and modern decimal, is the quick start going to do the job or will it sruggle with gold rings etc?

any help on this would be appricated as its only a weekend and want it set up before i go and not have to spend hours setting it up on the beach when i could be finding the goodys.

P.s i havnt got my head around the advanced settings yet.

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.
OzzyHeadSteve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, R.A.R.E, FID, BRECON MDC

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »

Forget about different settings for the beach.Or land for that matter. here are my settings i use wherever i detect.

From the menue go into Advanced settings

Display Smart
>
SELECT. Clear the screen and then scroll down and reject NAILS only.
( This gives you a small area blacked out in top left corner)

AUDIO.
RESPONSE.....................Normal
>
AUDIO.......Sounds.........Ferrous
AUDIO.......TH vol...........10
AUDIO.......Variability...... 6
AUDIO.......Limits............ 6
>
AUDIO.......Volume.........10
AUDIO.......Gain...............8
>
OPTIONS....Recovery......Deep.. On
OPTIONS....Recovery......Fast.... Off
( this can be reversed if in particularly noisy conditions) It is also possible to run with both these off but never both on together.
>
SENSITIVITY....Function.....Manual...(for maximum depth)
SENSITIVITY....Value.........1 - 32......Fix to maintain stability
It is a good idea to start off with manual threshold set in the low twenties initially then raise or lower to suit.
>
Auto Sensitivity can be used if preferred but set at maximum so that the Explorer can search the whole range from 1 - 32. Using Auto may affect maximum depth achieved.
>
THRESHOLD TONE....... Set at a level to suit ( usually just audible)
>
IRON MASK....... If preferred Iron Mask can be used instead of the nails setting above.....Press the Iron mask button and set the value to suit the level you require. I normally set mine on 28 - 29 on the SE which gives a thin narrow black line down the left hand side of the screen.
The thinner the black line the more Iron you will detect but the thicker the line the more good stuff you may discrim out.
>
You can switch between the IRON MASK setting and NAILS by simply hitting the Iron Mask button three times.
>
This programme does not use Variable tones which will help in the learning process because a single tone is less confusing. On detecting a metallic target a good repeatable signal with a solid tone will be heard. You will also have to rely on the cross hair position to help in deciding what type of signal you have.
In general most good non ferrous metals show in the right 2/3rds of the screen, top or bottom. Signals bouncing around with the cross hair tending to show to the left are generally Iron.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VARIABLE TONES PROGRAMME.
(less suitable for beginners because of all the different sounds)
>
Change the following settings to
>
AUDIO.... Response....... Normal........Pitch hold..... Long.... or Smooth
............................(to suit ones preference)
>
AUDIO....TH..Volume.............1
AUDIO....Variability...............10
AUDIO........Limits..................9
>
AUDIO.......Sounds................Conduct......or Ferrous....(to suit)
>
SENSITIVITY, RECOVERY, VOLUMES etc all stay the same as the first programme to suit conditions.
>
>
>
CONDUCT TONES set will give you LOW tones on the bottom of the screen and high tones at the top. By using Conduct sounds Hammered coins for instance will generally give a lower deeper tone depending on their make up off the bottom to middle of the screen. Silver paper or foil will always show with a deep tone, with the cross hair right on or half way under the bottom of the screen.
Similarly an old victorian penny or a Roman silver Denarii will generally show top right of screen and give off a nice high tone.
>
>
>
FERROUS TONES in this programme will still give variability to the sounds but will now alter to show Iron on the left of the screen having the Deep Low tones and anything on the right of the screen having a high tone. This suits some people depending what they are hunting I prefer to have the low tones down on the bottom of the screen where Hammered and bronze Celtic and Romans start to show.
>
>
>
This second programme is probably the best to use if you like Variable tones. It can be altered very quickly in the field from Conduct to Ferrous
or Normal response to say Smooth or Pitch Hold. These are the main settings that alter the way you hear the Explorer. Sensitivity affects the depth but this must be kept at a level to keep things stable
>
>
The Above Programmes are suitable for any scenario. Field, Woods, Beach etc, etc. The first is set to keep things simple the second is for use where Variable tones are preferred and also the ability to change things with the minimum of fuss in the menue easily & quickly whilst in the field detecting.

LIVE FROM THE LAND OF THE OZ

kaister

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »

awsome, i have just printed them and will go and set it up now. thanks alot

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

Im very sorry i sold my Explorer for the beach
its an awesome tool on wet sand

But i dont miss the painfully slow recovery speeds  or the wieght ;0)
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »

Agree about the weight...but have no probs with recovery times depends how much
info/noise you are prepared to accept when you set up the machine.

I use the Explorer II with the S.E.F. 15 X 12" Coil and think its probs the best combo
i have ever used on wet sand beaches.

The other machine that does almost as good is the sovereign range esp. the Elite.

But again quite a heavy machine.

Good luck with your beach hunting and as long as you are finding can ring pulls
then if you walk over it you will find bling....H.H. PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal