Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A day out near Abergavenny.  (Read 6079 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »

Well the weather promised good and the troops were keen, so after the call had gone out from Farmer Phil a small gathering was arranged at location five minutes from ABERGAVENNY. The sun did indeed shine but a sharp chilled breeze took the edge of any warmth but we all stood our ground and wrapped up well. Phil had found some pasture near his home that had a remarkable history. Moated homestead, Saxon Church, Saxon Battle, Medieval stone castle to name but a few known pieces of local history. As the day progressed the finds did indeed start arriving with myself striking silver first with a George V silver one shilling that had been reused as a pendant or charm, dated 1913. Next find of note was the only Hammered of the day. We believe it is a James 1 sixpence. This fell to Melonhead who produced some more odd finds the most notable being his Instructor badge. Outlaw had a smattering of coins but all coppers, late on he did turn up a nice thimble made off copper I think. Richy had to leave early and not sure what he turned up but Phil I am sure can update later. Our host Phil had a few bits and bobs til late on when he had a run of coins. The pick of which was a Viccy young head threepence and an Austrian 1 something dated 1881 along with a few coppers. Our host had raided Tescos and proceeded to produce a selection of cakes at a elongated lunch break triumphed with the visit of Casa Dos Kev and his good lady Ann. So good to see them but as it was a short visit we all had a chat and some picture opportunities before he had to go. Thanks for the visit Kev you are well missed and keep on the mend mate and you will soon be back out with us. As a foot note to this excellent day out is the trip home by me. Should have been a half hour cruise but finally got home at 19.15, two and a half hours later. Ten minutes  into the journey I hit a pot hole and the electrics on my jeep went mad. No lights, indicators and intermitant open and shut windows and a load of other things. finally managed to work out it was the passenger door window playing up and disconnected it with my mobile phone as my torch. After such a good day not what I wanted really but these things happen. Thanks folks for a great day out.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:02:38 PM by Waltonbasinman (Paul) » Logged
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »

Nice report Basinman,
Sorry to hear your misfortune on the way home.
Yes, great day out, did find about 5 coins in the last hour,sorry guys for chatting too much in the day...great company!
Paul,where's the photo's then.  Huh Huh ???Your shilling was a bit unusual, wondered if anyone else on DW as found one like it? We think Melonheads hammy was a James shilling (we checked the size against one I had in the car- like one has?)

Farmer Cool  ps remember your hats...sun or wind burnt noggin..Mark , call me beetroot head!!!!!
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »

Melonheads  hammered James 1st
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

Enjoyable day out had by all and the chat Phil was interesting too  Grin
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »

Waltonbasinmans shilling. Note the attempt at scratching initials into the coin. JMI possibly or was it a man called jim
melonhead

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »

heres one of kev still smiling
melonhead

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »

Smiley
waltonbasinman
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:12 PM »

Nice one fella. Here he is with the supporters club.
melonhead

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »

and one with his security guard (thats you paul)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »

Great to see Casa out and about guys , well done on the finds.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »

Im sure ive seen some of those faces on crime watch !lol

Looks like you all had a good days detecting in Abergavenny

And Kev i can get you a good Hayabusa engine for your wheel chair  Tongue
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »

a good day out fellas...but the best bit is seeing kev out there with you !!.... Grin...as it was so cold you could have lent him a blanket for his bare legs..... Grin...keep on the recovery road mate...all the best...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »

Must be something wrong with the camera or the lens....don't look that fat in MY mirror I bought from that car boot sale Hall of mirrors surplus stock.
Bymatt - Thought Kev had a frilly white skirt on...didn't like to ask?  These valley boys are hard, anyway it was in sunny Abergavenny - Gods country
Farmer   Cool
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »

thanks for your comments all. Wink
zorro
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »

Great to see you out and about kev. you  get bigger wheels on that chair and the "good lady" can push you are the fields mate  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal