Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ww2 - oxwich, gower  (Read 9393 times)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« on: March 04, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »

i came across this quote from a gower cottages site - and it set me thinking - as its the 1st time i've ever heard or read of such an event on the gower.

i'm fully aware of the various elaborate deception plans in many parts of england, but this is the first i've heard of this. can anyone share any more light on this?

cheers
alan

"During WWII Oxwich Bay dunes were lit to simulate Pembrey 'Munition works' and other sites of military interest around Llanelli thus attracting some heavy Luftwaffe bombing raids, hence the dunes are rather disjointed to this day".

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/27/a4494927.shtml

this link provides one persons memories, but it doesn't tally in with the initial question that i posed.

the reason for posting is that those who search on the gower, may like the  references and locations mentioned and of course the shell ID info at the bottom of the article.

enjoy the read

cheers

zorro
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »

Good story Alan. purely coincidental but  Beachboy and myself went to oxwich today, he''s down there throughout the  year,. i picked up 3 bullets (not sure if B'Boy had any) and a george V penny but WAY too much sand on top of beach to be productive.
The posts of the jetty that the landing crafts used during WWll were visible the the year before last, Beachboy had a pocket full of pre-decimal coins that day all around the wooden legs that were above the sand. a local told us that they hadnt been seen in decades. no sign of them today though sadly .
The yankee base was on top of the hill, on the point past the castle.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

They used to hang lights in the trees of Ely Woods during the Second World War to make the Luftwaffe think it was Cardiff Docks. As a kid I can remember spending weeks on end playing in those woods and finding several oil lamps - one of which in particular I remember was still hanging in the trees. My mother used to send me to the woods to play as a 8 year old when I was getting under her feet! Can you ever imagine doing that in todays society?

I feel sorry for the kids of today, they have lost the freedom of childhood that we all enjoyed. I would be coming home in about an hours time today if I was aged 8 on a Friday night in the late 70's. These days I wouldn't dream of sending an 8 year old to the postbox after daylight! How society has changed!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Bob

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »

Not sure if this is true, but I've always understood that there was a wrecked sub just off the beach past the rocks on the right hand side. True or just an urban myth?
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »

thx for the replies guys

Bob - i have come across several references to a sunken uboat off oxwich. some reference refer to it as a ww1, 1917 sinking.

Kev - thx for the info, try and take a look on the base of the bullets to see if theres an american reference as stated in the article in my 2nd post. it would be interesting to see if it is an american issue.

thx for the reference re yankee base, that ties in with the ladies memories. my cousins family farm close to Pitt, and the old lady recalls how americans camped on her smallholding.

neil - again an interesting input into the deception tactics used and the artefacts that still abound. though the ladies memories in the article does indicate the possibility of booby traps!!!  one wonders if there are any in ely woods.

keep the info coming guys.

cheers

beachboy (viv)

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

hello alan,one story i have been told is that a load of millitary vehicles were buried under the sand dunes which is now under the national trust i believe,also there has been a huge landslide just passed the church and some of the rocks are the size of a house to big to even climb,the americans where also based on fairwood common.viv
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »

hi Viv

thx for the input, there are lots of references to the americans camping/based all over the gower, and close to king arthurs stone.

the ww2 gower grass airfields may be worth researching.

re the landslide passed the church, my relatives have made comment about them, but nothing that i can't add to what you have written.

re the vehicles buried in the dunes, i've only come across one reference to the possibility of a buried vehicle and that was a car that was tested for its speed, prior to the land speed record being attempted, a few yrs later,  at pendine. [mid 1920's i think]

beachboy (viv)

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »

hi alan,some of the boys who clean the beach for the penrice estates was telling me about the dunes.viv
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »

thx viv -- i'll ask my relatives to ask around.

Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »

hi Viv
re the vehicles buried in the dunes, i've only come across one reference to the possibility of a buried vehicle and that was a car that was tested for its speed, prior to the land speed record being attempted, a few yrs later,  at pendine. [mid 1920's i think]
There was A car buried at Pendine ..the driver was killed during a landspeed attempt on the sands..It was unearthed a few years ago and fully restored and now can be seen in the speed museum at Pendine (It still gets run occasionally)
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »

hi ian,the car on pendine was called babs,as you said it crashed,the bloke that told me about the dunes in oxwich could have been talking porkies i don't know, you not allowed in them anyway,but i can tell you the landslide they had down there was huge some of the rocks are the size of a house.viv
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »

Speaking of Pendine the next Bay over, Morfa Buchan bay was used by the RN for ship to shore target practice
 I wonder how many unexploded shells are in the hills around there lol
zorro
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »

with regard to the oxwich wreck. ive dived it a few times. pretty shallow for a wreck dive. big plates laying on sea bed with a few very large congers inhabitating, though im pretty sure it wasnt a u-boat.
there may be one further out in the bay though i dont know.
as for the bullets you mostly find the bullet heads not the cases, but if i do find any cases in future i'll have a look and let you know.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal