Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How I got into detecting - courtesy of Grampy Bill!  (Read 10928 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 04, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »

This may seem an odd one to post in this section, but all will become clear.

When I was 7 years old {1978} I had a Viking metal detector off my Grampy Bill about a year before he died and made a few finds along Ely River (I intend to go to the same spot again soon), but could never afford the batteries - we were properly skint in those days. Anyway I had always had an interest in "old stuff" so Grampy shuffled off round the corner in the Docks and bought me the best machine he could afford. As you can imagine I was delighted.

Grampy Bill was the spit of me and 6 foot tall (big for those days) with a mop of curly hair when we buried him a few years later. He lived on the streets of Cardiff during the 1920's until he was about 7 or 8 years old when a kindly woman took him in (Mrs Woollacott)and treated him as his own, so we know very little about his background. He then went to sea at about the age of 12 and  spent the rest of his life below deck as an Engine master on various tug boats in Cardiff Dock and around the World and was sunk three times - once by a U-Boat and once by a Stuka during the Second World War. The final time was due to an engine fire in Cardiff dock and each time he managed to get out of the Hell that is the Engine room despite numerous of his ship mates not surviving.

Anyway when I was about 5 he made me a copy of the U-Boat that sank his ship from wood and lead that I would float in the bath and probably inadvertently poison myself! It now sits on my wash stand. I also still have an oil painting of his last ship on the wall at home.

No reason really to share this, just thought you may be interested.

Neil

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:13:05 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »

a lovely tale -- thx for sharing it neil.

it does remind me tho of a tale i heard about u boats knowing of the fresh water supply at port eynon  would, , allegedly, often stop and replenish their water supplies from the stream.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »

really good story, sentimental and intresting ,,,wish i had a intresting story of how i got into detecting but the reality is ,, ive always been intrested in history and 1 day decided to buy a detector{vk30}and thats about it, hope to encourage my 6 year old son into the hobby{alredy knows what a tombac button is..... Smiley

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »

Nice story neil and nice you got something to remember him by

willow tree

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »

facinating story neil i like hearing about cardiff,s past by the way i first started detecting on the banks of the ely river .i still detect it now and again as it is close to my house and still find a few coins cheers mate   Wink
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »

hi neil.
yes it was an interesting story my friend,
i enjoyed reading that neil.
great story mate.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »

Good story Neil,My family are from Tiger bay, i spent a lot of time there as a young boy,and although i'm only 45 now, times were very tight for us back then too, so i can associate with your grampies experiences, it was a rough place but a good place to grow up, you new who your friends were, I used to go sieving for coal off the foreshore with my dad at about 5 years old, chopping up driftwood for firewood, and rabbiting for food, not fun. The area was full of characters just like your grampy, lived and seen some terrible things, often fearsome characters from the outside but most had a solid heart of gold and loved to share their tales if you gave them the chance, Reading your story took me right back to my childhood, including being chased from the  Bailey's dry dock for nicking tins of Red lead Wink

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »

Lovely story Neil.

But if you had a metal detector at that age you weren't that poor!

I'm from Grangetown (next to Tiger bay) where Men were men and even the women looked like men. We had a tin bath infront of the open hearth fire and if you were lucky you got to have the first bath. (Before that I shared it with my brothers and sister until I started big school).

I had a newspaper round after school which I did for years as well as being a Pools collector (the only way of getting rich before the National Lottery).

Life was so hard I used to get up two hours before I went to bed.  Grin

My dad was a Royal Navy man and my mum a W.R.E.N. What was nice was that I was born in wedlock 12 months after they married. My dad then collected rent from council tennants around Cardiff using his motorcycle and side car. He then got a Ford Anglia when things improved which was a bugger to push up Caerphilly mountain when it stopped three quarters of the way up.

I went to The Bishop of Llandaff High School at the time the Bishop got caught performing indecent acts in the public toilets at Llandaff Fields. Llandaff tech then followed where lectures were in a wooden hut at the back.

My dad then bought me a moped for my sixteenth birthday but as we were still poor I ended up with a Puch 49cc whilst all my mates had a Yamaha FS1E. Me and my moped were the butt of jokes. I was forever putting in new piston rings as they wore out trying to keep up with FS1E's.

.........And that was only the first part of my life.  Cry

But things could have been worse. I was never torpedoed  Grin
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:06:46 PM by rjm » Logged

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »

Ps. Forgot to mention I was no angel back then.

We used to break into the yard of the Social club on Penarth road and nick the crates of empty pop bottles. Then take them around the shops to get the refund money!  Grin

Boots profits went down in Cardiff City Centre due to organised shoplifting sprees. I would expand on this but I was leaned on 40 years ago that if I ever divulged details I would have my fingers broken. So I can't say who was with me. Lips sealed

Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »

ah, the old pop bottle scam Grin our corner shop thought they'd be clever and put a "W" on the label of all their Lowes bottles that had 2p deposit on them, we used to get them from the off license yard down the road, we then mad a perfect replica "W" stamp out of a potato and stamp them up to get our 2p deposits Grin Grin
Them were the days, then there was the protection rackets and brothels Grin Grin but that's another story  Shocked Grin Grin

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »

yeah  they realy had it bad back then Neil, but it makes us  think thank god times have changed,  you got some nice memories there too and some souviner keep peices,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal