Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Rocks/Coke or Meteorites??  (Read 4391 times)
Junkman

« on: February 27, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »

Hmm, this got me thinking. Hot rocks and coke. We simply discard them without giving them much thought BUT I was watching a programme on 2 meteorite hunters using Metal Detectors out in the desert to find really big meteorites.

I wonder how many mud covered HotRocks/Coke we just chuck away are actually meteorites??. They have peppered earth since it was formed and are indiscriminate where they land so it could be the Arizona desert or Chepstow Huh.

Has anyone actually found a definite Meteorite??
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:19:26 PM by Junkman » Logged

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »

Interesting thought there Junkman, I was only thinking this after the last rally where I got two strong audio signals but no visual signal on the Explorer, when I dug them up it was a large piece of what looked like slag/coke but the minelab's don't generally detect coke and the signal was off the bottom of the screen. Makes you think.
Junkman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »

Interesting thought there Junkman, I was only thinking this after the last rally where I got two strong audio signals but no visual signal on the Explorer, when I dug them up it was a large piece of what looked like slag/coke but the minelab's don't generally detect coke and the signal was off the bottom of the screen. Makes you think.

Same here. My Trident 2 gives a double 'hit' on coke and I was spread around the site but not in any qty. It's the old question of how did it get there??.

Some people say from Victorian Nightsoil dumping but there was non of the other items associated with nightsoil dumping

Some people say its from Steam Traction engines used for ploughing but I can't see them being used on that site as it was pasture not arable.

I'm damn sure they are small bits of space junk...........

One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »

I think it was arable not to long ago but the pieces I found didn't look like the normal coke, unfortunately I hedged the two bits I found but Taff had a piece that was similar.
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »

I too have been interested in this apparently the best place to find them is the salt flats in america because they stand out so much against the white ground. I have struggled a bit with the T2 and hot rocks if im honest, so used to the se not picking them up i do get the good signal one way rubbish the other but i have also read somewhere that with the T2 even if its a good signal one way then i should dig it. Saying  that everytime i have its been a hotrock.
Junkman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »

I too have been interested in this apparently the best place to find them is the salt flats in america because they stand out so much against the white ground. I have struggled a bit with the T2 and hot rocks if im honest, so used to the se not picking them up i do get the good signal one way rubbish the other but i have also read somewhere that with the T2 even if its a good signal one way then i should dig it. Saying  that everytime i have its been a hotrock.

My T2 ignore them (or should I say- I ignore them). After a while you get a good feel for the Audio and visual ID for them and ignore them.

Re hotrocks and coke, I never bother to really look at them at they are covered in mud but the next few will be taken home for a closer look. Having just seen some google images of Meteorites, they do look suspiciousley similar Cool Cool

Junkman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »

This IS a meteorite. Now, If I dug that in a field I would just discard it as Coke Huh

Here is an interesting website on detecting for Meteorites.

http://www.meteoritesusa.com/how-to-find-meteorites.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:03:59 PM by Junkman » Logged

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:26:13 PM »

I might have to ask Admin If I can go back and retrieve my hedge fodder Grin
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »

i notice that coke is light is a meteorite heavy? also im sure u can tell with a magnet but not 100% sure
benny

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »

I was talking to a farmer about the amount of coke I found on his land and he said his father used to have a coke house where basically he put soil in a big metal tray and would burn coke underneath it. This was to sterilise the soil and kill off any weed seeds then he'd use this soil for starting off seedlings which would be weed/disease free. Afterwards the ashes(with some unburnt lumps of coke)would be scattered around the fields as ash is supposed to sweeten the soil. Makes sense how it gets there now or maybe martians have been dumping it here!
duggypuggy

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »

On the last chepstow rally I found 2 pieces of so called coke.They both gave me a strong positive signal on my explorer.The Ist one I dug up I still got in my coat pocket(I will clean it as soon as I have time)The second one I put in the edge(I know where it is if needed).
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »

i had an ore off swansea beach which ways a ton boys but dont seem to be meteorite  are yours magnetic or not?Huh??
any rust?Huh

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »

usually a hot rock will lose it's signal after being out of the ground for a while.....if it's a meteorite,shud it still give a signal for ever?......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »

I have struggled a bit with the T2 and hot rocks if im honest, so used to the se not picking them up

In cornwall recently, me se pro was picking up in one area of a fields loads of hot rocks ? hmmmmmmmmmm unless i presume there is  different sorts of these hot rocks ?

Signal usually top right hand corner !
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:12:53 AM by outlaw » Logged
Junkman

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »

I'm sure that 'some' of the hotrocks/Coke we dig are small meteorites. Why would Explorers identify them with a signal when Explorers don't 'do' coke??

I'm going to keep my next lot I find and take them home for cleaning and further investigation.

It's funny isn';t it, we get excited about finding a broken in half buckle that's 500 years old when we could be throwing away bits from outer space that are Millions and millions of years old Huh Huh Huh Huh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal