Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: commercial rallies  (Read 13995 times)
llanelli club
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »

i agree there dave in principle we would see who posts but due to many people not being able to use a computer or gain access to one who are good  detectorists like ourselves .they only have little time to post and therefore must only give short answers or say hello , they are all willing to share information this is why many people may only post before rallies but they share information  at sites .
you know full well several people in our metal detecting club are not internet friendly but are great detectorists that hold a wealth of knowledge some they keep to thierselves some they will share.
so i feel many people are better passing on info at rallies where they feel happy speaking face to face .
16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »

many posts are about detecting here some posts only require a yes or no .
but if they don't the screening would be so difficult to exclude these people that it would need a sophisticated program built .do you fancy writting it then Detectordave.?
think of it this way most people here post varrious things .so why bother.

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »

This is an interesting thread and I agree with the minimum post idea.  I personally wouldn’t be offended (as someone who doesn’t post on a regular basis) or feel discriminated against if I was asked to achieve a certain membership status to attend Detecting Wales rallies: after all, the whole idea of being a Detecting Wales member is to contribute to the forum and talk to other like minded people, even if it is every now and then.  Joining just to attend rallies is lame!

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
zorro
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »

some interesting points here, which i suppose is meeting the criteria of a forum itself. the issue i have with  the "minimum number of posts" suggestion is that the focus will be on quantity. 10 posts of "hi welcome" shouldn't constitute a "worthy member" for the next rally. i myself ,spend a lot of time surfing this forum gaining tips and general info without feeling the need to post something.
Surely, to only have people on this site who are interested in keeping it friendly, informative and helpful all you have to do is ask for a nominal joining fee. That way:-
1.   the site benefits financially.
2.   you're less likely to have people who post derogatory posts (as they would be banned and lose their money)
3.  and people won't feel obliged to rack-up their "count" with trivial posts.
thats my opinion anyway.
hey just noticed i've "racked up another post" Roll Eyes
sorry i had to......
altinkum

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »

i'm not in favor of post count but i dont have a better answer.  at the moment i'm keeping a eye on a few people who have singed up for the 1st rally not visited the site since and now signed up for this rally.  so if it was'nt for detecting wales holding rally's they would not bother with the site. if you read back through this thread a few member's seem happy with this situation personaly i cant wait for the rally of 40 acres and 70-80 members put their names down who's going to say you can come you cant.  mike

explorers, my arse
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 12:25:15 AM »

altinkum read my post in part 3 tell me what you think  DES
hedgehog
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »

Maybe it will come to the point that the numbers attending any rally would be limited. When I attended the 1st rally I had been posting but didn't know anyone on the site. I spoke to a few at the rally (not enough , and not for long enough) and would just like to say thank you to , Geoff , Neil , Phil and Dickle for giving me a nice welcome (and thank you to Phil for better directions home!).
I suppose what I am saying is if I hadn't posted before going to the rally , then I would have felt an affinity with the site and the people on it and would have been happy to post after the rally.
It is a difficult situation but as i have said before when you are a lone detectorist not part of any club, it does take a little courage and time to break the ice.
Maybe there are people who haven't yet joined or posted who will make a big difference to the site, it has certainly changed since Rob became involved and become more active (well done Rob, you are a hero too!).
I know there are people who are just getting on for the rallies but feel that they will be the minority, who knows , at the next rally you might meet a mate for life  Smiley
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »

hi mike, i think that the people that organise a rally earn there money, for the time and effort thay they put in so good luck to them, it cannot be easy to ask a stranger to let forty plus people, he has never met before walk all over his land swinging sticks with a disc on the end, plus the round fancy  ear warmers, in all colours. then dig up his crops to replant them for him," WORTH EVERY PENNY"  a very big well done to all the organisers thankyou

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
altinkum

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »

hi des i just read your post again and it seem's fair enough. if people are only joining for the rally's it's giving them the choice to muck in or not bother.  mike

explorers, my arse
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »

yea mike thought it might go some way to helping to solve the problem   all the best DES
Jeffc

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »

I think that we are missing the point that ultimately logistics will first dictate how many can come i.e. there has to be sufficient space for car parking and the farmer will need to decide how many he wants. He might be happy with 40 but not a hundred! Minimum posting is fine in theory but anyone can push their number up by posting "great find" or similar so you would then need to start assessing post quality which would be a minefield. Personally I don't post unless I feel I have something worth saying that hasn't already been said but I do visit the site several times a week and have been detecting and an active club member for over 25 years.
StumbledUpon

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »

All good comments, Smiley I like your suggestion millsy  Smiley
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »

hi millsy..i agree with your suggestion of missing the first rally after joining the site...seems the fairest way thats been put forward so far.......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »

I have another theory Mike,

Our club have a very productive site and the landowner has now had about 3 rallies on his land and reluctantly we have not a lot of choice but to organise one when he wants one!

Thankfully the land is very productive and he has a lot of it but we are trying to convince him that if he wants another rally then he will need to come up with a fresh farm!

Sometimes organisers hands are tied and they can risk the possibility of loosing land!

Just a thought

Burp

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
ronniedigs
Rally attendee

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »

i have had many an outing travelling the rallies more bad than good but it's luck of the draw with any land if ploughed this time might be good nextime bad but the time after super who know what may turn up

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal