Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: commercial rallies  (Read 13734 times)
altinkum

« on: March 02, 2009, 08:40:19 AM »

do you think the big commercial rallies are money spinner's for the organiser or offer value for money.  your thought's please   mike

explorers, my arse
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:36:13 AM »

I think rally organisers should get more credit for the time they put in on behalf of hobby. They spend hundreds of
  hours organising rallies and  if they make £10,000 on a rally good luck to them. They are a big social occasion and
I think the  hobby needs them.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »

Went to the King Alfred Rally near Wantage in Oxfordshire a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the people, the chat and the scenery. I genned up on the location and Hedgehog and i had a good days detecting. Trouble is i think there must have been 400 plus people and after the event i felt like the organisers had chosen the land to make the money, did,nt tell us everything and i went away feeling disappointed. Don,t get me wrong the fellow detectorists were brilliant, some good finds were made but not that many considering the land was undetected. Food and facilities were excellent. But later found out that it had been detected a lot over the years and it kinda made me not want to go again though my main reason was one of the finds obviously did not come out of the ground at the rally site ( how often does this happen). I think a rally should be kept small 150- 200 max and more about the people detecting than making money (other than to cover costs). I noticed with the detecting Wales forum how when you organised the first rally suddenly the members go up. then level off. now number two is announced the member numbers go up again but its still the same posters on the web site. I live in the middle of nowhere and my nearest club that i am aware of is a round trip of 45 miles if i went to a club meeting and become a member. Not a very viable option with the hours i work. So i have to find my own land as most people do but to see a rally in Wales is a great oppotunity for me to meet fellow welsh detectorists so i hope my experiance with a commercial rally does not scar my views for long. Just hope we are all honest, enter a field with empty pockets and a love of detecting and a willingness to make friends and  share knowledege with like minded people. Sorry if i upset people but i am just telling it like it is. Sad                             
Charles Cater

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »

Millsy is right, small can be good.
Although the organisers of the Caerleon dig will make a little profit, all the money collected after all expenses have been seen to will go to the upkeep of this site.

Others do it for the money they an keep.
Good on all members that support this wonderful rally, and not only that you will be able to see who so and so looks like and so on you will make friends you never knew before. I think it is marvellous.
Well done, I say.

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
altinkum

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »

good point about people joining for the rally's never to be heard of again until the next one. if people keep joining at this rate were going to have to limit the number's or get bigger fields.  mike

explorers, my arse
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »

All valid points gents.

We have discussed the "Johnny Come Latelys" before and came to the conclusion that we may soon have to add a "minimum number of postings or length of membership" for Rally qualification, if things get out of hand.

The whole idea of Detectingwales rallies are to give something back to the members who make the site what it is, and not just to provide a day out for someone who does not frequent the web.

We only had two turn up at the last Rally who were not members and it was explained to each of them that if they wanted to come in future they need to be active members of this site. The next one will be Members Only!

Interesting debate

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »

I agree with the points you've all made as well , And i think a regular visit to the website is a must and participation essencial.... No website ------- No Detecting Wales rallys .

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »

HI all i think that if fellow members dont get innvolved with the forum or any aspect of it they should not be allowed to enter any rally untill they do there should be a fixed quoter of post they should adhere to first   all the best to everybody  DES
altinkum

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »

every one has a valid point on the member's subject but people are only now hearing about this site from the advertising neil has been doing lately so we cant judge everyone who join's between now and the next rally as only useing the site to go on local rally's. give it a few month's and the user's will stand out a mile.  mike

explorers, my arse
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »

YEA i agree with mike people should be given a few months to settle then if they have shown no activity they should then be dropped DES
Charles Cater

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »

All this has been discussed before, particularly the numbers of so called members who don't post anything at all.

I know of one who has found a Charles 1st Half Crown in beautiful condition and is too lazy to put it on here he asked me to do it.

Perhaps Geoff will put on a Poll asking if any regular members want them? I for one don't, I think they are a waste of his time, but that is only my opinion..
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:35:47 PM by Charles Cater » Logged

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »

well said charles i agree  DES
hedgehog
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »

Good post Mike. Because it's a relatively new forum a lot are probably not aware that it is here. I was only fortunate enough to find out because I read a post on the ukdn on the day it was posted, otherwise I would still be blissfully unaware that it existed.
For those of us that are not a member of a club you are out in no man's land a little, not knowing what is going on where, other than the information in hobby magazines.
There are probably quite a number out there who are not aware of this site and how good and appreciated it is.
There will be those signing up just to go to the current rally, hopefully they will meet and speak to people there and be regular contributors , but give 'em a chance!
Some may be from some distance away just wishing to see what is going on and what is being found, maybe in the same postion as you Charles but not having anything to show.
Possibly it might be useful to Geoff for the future to give people a tick box to fill in on sign up! Geoff would then be aware of what their interest in the site is and can make admin decisions from there?
It would be nice if we could move away from the guilty until proved innocent and give the site time to mature, also hope that people will have the confidence to start posting on any subject.
P.S. The subject was commercial rallies
Been to a few , know that they are profit making for leisure promotions, they are well organised and it is worth going to at least one
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:25:09 PM by hedgehog » Logged
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »

You find on most detector forums at least 50percent of the membership never post, but they are reading the posts.
Also they take part in most of polls.
altinkum

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »

another thing i find on some forum's are their very cliquey if someone said they stepped in dog s**t there would be 5 pages of oh sorry to hear that where as anyone else put it up they'ed be lucky to get 3 reply's. i hope this site never get's like that as it put's people off posting.  mike

explorers, my arse

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal