Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: NO DESCENT FINDS  (Read 4294 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: February 21, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »

think a good few of us have gone through this not finding any descent finds of any coins, artifacts ???it can be a very frustrating hobby on times  Grin have many members gone a good while without finding something half descent................ i know i have but you stick with it and you get a good run again Wink
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »

I used to find loads in the 1970s. But for every one detectorist then there are now at least one hundred I expect. I daresay many of the places I detected had never seen a detector before! Not many like that now. Plus the archies seem to schedule land for fun. 

Nowadays i get excited with a Victorian copper! Lovely just to see the finds other people make though. I have been priveleged to see coins and artefacts that span the centuries come out of the ground. I don't mind if its not me that finds it. My time will come....MWWWAAaaaahahahahah

waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »

Just stick at it Jon and finds will come. I had a real long 5 months where I found rubbish then boom a bronze age arrow head quickly followed by my first hammered. Stick at it Jon you deserve it mate.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »

I think we all experience these spells - I know I certailnly have. Theres other times though when you seem to not stop finding decent stuff - I call them Purple Patches.  I know some people say its down to having the right land, slowing down, knowing you machine, hours spent, lucky rabbits foots, etc and granted these all do play a part, but it all boils down to the fact you got to be lucky enough in the first place to actually walk over it! Wink

Things will improve mate - just stick at it!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
willow tree

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »

i been out detecting hundreds of times and come home empty handed like neil said if you don,t walk over it you aint gonna find it .if your luck is in make the most of it   Wink
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

I found nothing of interest today. Like Willow Tree just said, if you don't walk over it you won't find it. Today, once the word got around that a hammered had been found in the car park field, loads of people went to that little corner for a look. But it wasn't until later on in the day that Viv found that gold hammered. People must have gone very near that spot many times, but if you just miss it, then you miss it.  Cry

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »

I'm going through a lean time at the moment. I've found all sorts over the years and have piles of 'good' stuff but don't think I've gone as long without finding a hammered. Found Roman grots and old Georgie coins and a bit of silver.

I know it's not the machine as I'm getting ring pulls and small aluminium, very small bit's n' pieces, thickish foil etc
that are similar. It's a lot to do with if you walk over it and having a positive attitude.

I remember going through such a period a few years ago. Had been detecting all day and found nowt, then found a silver Denarius. The very next signal was a Roman brooch!!! Weird. Huh

For me though, I just love getting out and if I find something it's a bonus.

Junkman

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

There is also the problem of the 'excitement slump' that comes after a year or 2 in the hobby. When you are new, a Victorian penny makes you pee your pants with excitement but then after a while it's a case of " oh, another Victorian penny" so you hanker for better things to find. Then you blame the machine and go into "upgrade mode" in the hope that things improve...but they probably don't so you change machine 3 or 4 times until you settle on one you get on with.

Then you find your first Roman and it makes you pee your pants with excitement but then after a while it's a case of "oh, another Roman grot" and you hanker after some thing Celtic..........................spot a pattern emerging??

Then, after a lot of frustration, numerous machines and highs and lows you end up just happy with whatever you find as its a "day out" and you have finaly found Metal Detecting Nirvana Cool Cool Cool

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »

There is also the problem of the 'excitement slump' that comes after a year or 2 in the hobby. When you are new, a Victorian penny makes you pee your pants with excitement but then after a while it's a case of " oh, another Victorian penny" so you hanker for better things to find. Then you blame the machine and go into "upgrade mode" in the hope that things improve...but they probably don't so you change machine 3 or 4 times until you settle on one you get on with.

Then you find your first Roman and it makes you pee your pants with excitement but then after a while it's a case of "oh, another Roman grot" and you hanker after some thing Celtic..........................spot a pattern emerging??

Then, after a lot of frustration, numerous machines and highs and lows you end up just happy with whatever you find as its a "day out" and you have finaly found Metal Detecting Nirvana Cool Cool Cool

That's brilliantly put............and you're quite right too!

I had a few machines then got the XLT which I had for 7 years. Sold it to get something better. Dozens of machines later I'm with the V3. I look back and wish I'd kept the XLT.  I'm going to keep with what I've got and not be a detecting gypsy.  It's as you said, I'm now happy for a good day out and any finds are a bonus as I've found most stuff over the years.

Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »

I was about to quote that as you did Bob Lol, I agree, very nicely expressed, I'm quite pleased because i seem to have compacted all those emotions into my first 12 months detecting Grin (no wonder i'm skint Lol).
Salty Smiley

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »

Karl, you've achieved more than most in 12 months!

The luck you have must come from all the iron horse shoes you find with the E Trac !!!   Grin

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:31:13 PM »

I think that was a complement Grin Roll Eyes

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »

Have you considered a career as a farrier, Karl? Wink

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »

Don't you start picking on me as well, i just like horseshoes Grin Wink

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »

It is ironic though, Karl. You'd think a guy who finds so many horse shoes would have all the luck in the world.

Wink  Wink  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal