Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detector for newbie  (Read 4399 times)
I will find it

« on: February 20, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

Hi everyone Smiley

I am a newbie and am joining Cardiff Scan club next month so looking for a good second hand deal of a lightweight detector with accessories.  Heard the Ace 250 is good. As soon as I get one I can get scanning for my first find and join the rallies , so if you have anything suitable, please let me know.

I will find it Smiley
150aceboy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »

Hiya mate, you won't go wrong with the Ace range by Garrett mate, i use the 150, really starting to find some nice stuff now.
Today i had my first hammered coin ( Elizabeth I Half Groat ), just goes to show you don't have to spend the earth to start off.
Their also simple to use mate, lightweight and reliable, just turn on and go, so if you get offered one then grab it mate if i was you.
Hope you get your detector soon fella
All the best Ace  Wink
I will find it

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »

Hi Ace boy Smiley  Many thanks for the confirmation of the Garrett.  Congrats on your first hammered coin.  Lets hope the next thing is a OMG moment, not saying the hammered wasnt!  I hope I can get my detector soon.  Will let you know if I do.

Once again many thanks for the vote of confidence.

Happy finds

Marjie

Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »

Hi, Marjie. Welcome to DW.

I second Aceboy's suggestion. I've got a 150 and have found some nice stuff with it. Nothing today though, sob.

Cry  Cry  Cry

16.5DD (richard)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »

maybe the 250 ace is worth upping the money to get .
good for dry sand and pasture plough but not wet sand.
if you feel like risking a little more the several options spring to mind but that could go on all day pro's and cons.
first think where you want to detect , will you go very often?
is this  a passion or a hobby ?
if you feel you will want to detect for a good while regularlly then my advice contact your nearest club see if you can loan a detector of one of them for the day.

you never know what lies below......

dreaming of detecting whilst............
detecting as there nothing else i would rather dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »

hi margie welcome to the forum ,thats a good choice to start detecting,
i would say go for it.
  DES
I will find it

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »

maybe the 250 ace is worth upping the money to get .
good for dry sand and pasture plough but not wet sand.
if you feel like risking a little more the several options spring to mind but that could go on all day pro's and cons.
first think where you want to detect , will you go very often?
is this  a passion or a hobby ?
if you feel you will want to detect for a good while regularlly then my advice contact your nearest club see if you can loan a detector of one of them for the day.

Smiley Hi Richard
Am happy to get something worthwhile to start with for a hobby at present, always been interested in detecting since I went down the beach (scratching) with my dad when younger ~ No detectors then, he just used a knife and trowel.  Cleaned and shined up the money with vinegar and a wire brush and off to the shops. I have other hobbies which are obsessive when I have the time,  but this one will get me out and about.  Hope to go out with my grandson (Cool.  Great suggestion about borrowing one. Will put it to Cardiff Scan club when I meet March 10th. Any suggestions on where to get a new one and all the bits, if I cant get a second hand.  Would like to get a second hand one from a club member rather than ebay, dont want to get stung, ouch!!   Cry
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »

Hi marjie, I have a laser hawkeye that im umming and arring to sell, its a good mid range machine if you have a look at my posts on the hawkeye it is  a good easy to use machine. Im not bothered if i sell it or not TBH but seeing as its just sitting here doing nothing if someone wanted it then im open to offers.
Cheers
Paul
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »

Hi i have a tesoro laser rapier for sale ideal first machine. Just switch on and go. This machine is not complicated at all and i have found some great stuff with it.Looking for 150 pound witch i have already been offered from a detecting shop and they will make profit on that. So if your interested iplease P.M me.

Ade
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:26:29 PM »

Marjie, if you want to hold on until you join the Scan Club, Come on a rally with us, and i'll arrange for you to borrow The wife's ACE 250 to see how you get on with it. All you'll need is a spade, a bag and some enthusiasm Smiley You can even borrow my nine year old if you like, he'll show you how to use it Grin (he's handy for carrying the spade too Wink )
seriously, there dead simple to use, good depth but totally useless on wet sand!, fine on the dry stuff though Wink
If you don't mind hanging around with a strange man you've never met before, i'll happily accompany you if your not sure what to do on a rally Smiley
Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
adesace

If I was a rich man

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »

Just seen a garrett 150 for 95 pound and the Garrett 250  for 125 pound at staffordshire detectors good price.

Ade
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »

That is a good price ade, i paid nearly that second hand for the wife's. Kevin at Staffs is a true gent to deal with too.

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
I will find it

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »

Smiley Hi Lisa/Paul/Ade/Salty

Wow many thanks for your help and the info on sale items. All these choices.    Undecided At this stage, I think I will go with Salty's suggestion and wait until I join the Scan club and then go on a rally before I commit.  Smiley Cant wait. I may bring my grandson along and see how he likes it, could then look for something suitable for him (needs not to be a whim though, you know what kids are like). Many thanks Salty and Mandy for the offer for me to borrow and show me around and the offer of 9 yr old to show the ropes.  ::)Brilliant. Excited I am indeedeeee!

So guys and gals, if you have an offer on your detectors, dont let me hold you up. If I decide to go the the Garrett then I can look later on when I know more about them and their coils and pinpointers, sounds I though I know what I am talking about already, ha ha.

I am full up with a cold today arghhh, poor me, Cry ahhh and brain not in gear boo hoo.  It was too overactive the other day and now time to recharge it.  Going to see X factor tomorrow if well enough.

Off to the land of nod now, will probably be mind detecting. Catch up again, soon.  Once again many thanks you certainly help to get one enthused....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal