Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miconta 4003  (Read 2167 times)
bigwig
Rally attendee

« on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »

Hi all

First post so here goes...

I have been thinking of getting into this for some time but never done anything about it, however i have just come across a Micronta 4003 in a box in my attic and was wondering whether this would actually be of any use to get started with, or would i be wasting my time (is this just a toy) and should i buy something better?
Sorry if this seems like an stupid question but just was wondering before i spend unnecessarily without having to just yet.
Thanks John
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »

Welcome to the site, bigwig. I'm a relative newcomer to detecting too, but I'm confident some of the more experienced members will be familiar with your machine and can tell you all about it. Smiley

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »

Not a stupid question , a very valid question. Looking at the specs and price of it and it does look like an entry level detector. Why not take it out in your garden for a spin. Read the instruction carefully first though. Even if you have to bury a few coins at different depths to test its ability. If you get hooked (And people that join Detecting Wales normally do)  You may want to upgrade to a higher spec. You can get some decent second hand machines for around £200.

Hope this helps good look and welcome to the Best metal detecting site in the World  Wink

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
gafflad
Rally attendee

one step behind goldmaxx on tour

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:10:04 AM »

i had one it is just a toy but saying that if you go over and its in the reach of the detector it will find it.
              if i was you bang it on ebay then buy a Garrett 250 ace
              this is a great detector easy to use and are a very good price

one step behind
 FID member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:47 AM »

Hi Big wig

Welcome to The Detecting Wales Forum !
My advice would be take your Detector to the beach for your 1st outing,
the diggings easier and you stand a good change of finding something worthwhile

As have been said before your Tandy detector is an entry level machine but should do ok on the beach and after the thrill of finding your 1st coins/Jewellery you,ll be hooked for life  ;0)

Good luck with your new hobbie/Pastime Big wig   Grin

all the best
Phil
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:07:18 AM by Phil Ynysboeth(RARE) » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:34:46 AM »

welcome to the site bigwig. may all your finds be nice ones!!.

if you do decide to go to the beach, make sure that you download a beach permit from the crown estate site.

the link is on this site, search it out.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »

Dont be too despondent, inside that machine the electronics are made by the same people as make Bounty hunter, It's capable of better results than people give it credit for.

I bought one cheap that needed repairing for my youngest son, It will find coins up to 4" deep as good as anything if you set it up right, get some practise with it, then as the others have said, pop it on e-bay and get an ACE  Wink

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
bigwig
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »

Hi

Thanks for all the replies guys, I've have also now been given a Lone Star detector so just need to print off the manual in work and pick up some batteries tomorrow and I think that may be a bit better (certainly looks better/newer)?
I think I'll have a play in the garden first and then maybe down to Porthcawl or Barry for a wander on the beach once I've got the hang (have had my permit emailed from the Crown).

Does anyone now what the rules would be with trying Caerphilly or Rudry mountain as they are only a stones throw from here? Are they common ground, can you just detect on common ground?

Sorry, it seems as though all I'm doing is asking questions Huh
Many thanks
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »

ahh, common land+ can of worms Shocked, you need to find out for sure who owns the land, you risk getting done for going equipped to steal if it ever got nasty.
The best thing to do, if you haven't already, is join a club,you get land to detect on and you'll have insurance, something else that's vital, just imagine not quite shutting a gate properly and 100 cows ending up on the M4!!, it's happened ! thats why you need insurance Wink

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
kaister

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:44 AM »

I had a micronta 2001 when i was younger, and found a small hoard of mixed coins in a garden in france, and found lots of money on a beach in cornwall. they work pretty well if you ask me, but you can proberbly get £30 or more on ebay for it, i saw one go recently for over £100. It would be a good idea to get used to it, see what it can do! Then upgrade to a garret ace 250, or a c.scope non motion(similar but better than the micronta). best of luck to you.

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal