Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Thirteen - The first of 2010!  (Read 22362 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 31, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »

As the title says this was the first Rally of 2010 and the troops were massed at a secret location somewhere between Caerwent and Chepstow. Lots of history around here and I am happy to report that we found a fair bit of it! Grin

Well over 50 die hard Detectingwales members turned up, all itching to get out and into the fields. After the usual talk and the award of a Years Free Rallies going to Roman Ray for guessing the weight competition we were off!

The first find was literally within feet of the cars and fell to Benny from Hereford. Its a long way to drive and he was rewarded rightfully so with an Edward hamster in good nick.

Next find of any note fell to me for a change  Shocked in the form of some silver filigree work that has been hand etched. Probably off a walking can or riding crop -  a bit battered but I'll take it. After finding this I bumped into Benny again who by now was the owner of a partifact from a Roman brooch. This was only 20 minutes in so the it looked like it was going to be a good day.

Next I bumped into my old mate and detecting buddy Mark sporting a George III sixpence - which turned out to be one of three found today.

Quite a few Roman grots were coming out and I must have seen about 8 or so belonging to Admin, Bob, Kiwi and a few other people. I then had a decent condition one from the reign of Claudius which bizzarely I found exactly where a group were having a chat after they moved off.

I was in the woodlands when I had a chat with a guy who asked me about a toggle he found. Upon seeing it my first thoughts were "Thats no toggle mate - its a Roman ring!" He had cleaned it a bit so I am not sure its metal probably bronze, but looking at the photos I would get a second opinion my friend as it may well be of the precious metal we all dream about.  Roll Eyes

A lovely medieval buckle surfaced, quickly followed by a stunning Roman fibula found by The Doc It still has the spring intact, but is missing the pin -  a nice find in anyones book - well done Doc! Can anyone ID it for him!!! Grin Grin Grin

Richard 16.5DD had an interesting item that his mate promptly snapped in two whilst trying to straighted - the verdicts out at the moment, but it has an age. Any ideas?

The day was quickly moving on when all at once everyone I spoke to seemed to have either a hammered or a milled silver. There was a Henry short cross to Kasiter, another ham to Gadget, one to Beepy, and at least another four to various people. My brain was a tad pickled by now so I forget who found what.

A cracking Hawking Ring turned up with a stone set into it and some etching around it. At least thats what we think it is. Anyone have any ideas. The stone reminds me of a yellow saphire -which are quite rare stones, as they are normally blue. I know a little about yellow saphires as I bought one for the wife last year! I may be miles out, but thats my guess.

The day was coming to a close and I still kept hearing about more hammies including a Lizzy penny and a sixpence and some silver milleds including two joeys, and Mark with a William III vitually blank sixpence. Unfortunatley I missed a few of these as for once I was detecting.

The find of the day in my opinion belongs to Ozzyhead (Jo} who was over the moon with a cracking 1700 William copper in stunning condition. Well done to her - its a real beauty Wink

A big THANK YOU needs to go to Rob (TaffLaff} for getting the land once again. Without him we would all have spent the day at home more than likely. Well done Rob - you are invaluable mate!

Also thanks to Geoff for the Vision to start this website in what was a wilderness time in Welsh Detecting. We all owe you a huge thanks for the friendships we have formed. Lets face it without Detectingwales a lot of us would be complete strangers.

Thats it for now - apologies if I got names wrong or missed out finds, but I am well and truley shattered! Tongue Until the next one all I can say is "Happy Hunting"

Get comfy because here come the photos!

Neil

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:25:42 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »

And some more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »

Still more!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »

You still comfy?

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

zorro
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »

Neil,Geoff,Rob Byron and all involved thanks for a great day out.Saw a few hammered brought up and had a lovely roman myself, will post pic probably tomorrow going straight to bed with v large brandy now and try and shake this cold.
just in case you are unaware, Dennis had lost his pinpoint probe in one of the fields. I'd like to think, as we are all good friends here, that who ever found it will be in touch with you or geoff asap.
once again a well run and attended rally.
many thanks
kev
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »

They keep coming!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »

I am not finished Zorro! Grin

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

The end for now

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

shunggav

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »

great report thanks and well done neil Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
Sexy Legs (Leighton)

Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett Ace 150

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »

I heard there was a ring found and a few Roman coins, but I had no idea about that lot! All I really found was a nice little Viccy toy coin. Haven't taken a picture, but I found an identical image online (but mine doesn't have the awful punched hole):

Junkman

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »

Wow, I never knew that little lot came out the ground Shocked Shocked

Some really nice finds there Cool Cool

Can I make a suggestion??

Would it be an idea to have a finds Table/Cabinet for the next rally so people can (if they want) lay thier finds out for all to see. I love looking at other peoples finds as much as my own and when you see some decent finds like the ones here, it spurs you on and keeps the perseverence up. I got the impression that not a lot had been found but I was wrong.

Teknetics T2 - C Scope R1 - Laser Trident 2 - Pinpoint Probe - Spade - Wellies
One man on a mission to find and record the history of our great nations last 60 years of discarded,useless metallic Junk. So far i'm doing really really well.
Gadget(Ian)

R.A.R.E. & F.I.D.Member.E trac User

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »

nice one neil.great write up again and some lovely pictures.

A bad days detecting is better than a good day at work.
Debbie

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »

Another great day out - well done Rob, Neil and Geoff.
My first coin was a little Roman bronze. After that, just the usual faceless coins, buttons, buckles, a musket ball and a bag seal, along with the usual metallic 'it's whatever you want it to be' assortment  Cheesy
Brew loved meeting and greeting everyone - he has a terrific tail-wagging technique but he sure has a long way to go in learning how to sniff out the hammies  Grin
Looking forward to the next rally.
Deb
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »

Absolutely great to meet members New and Old again. Nice to see some good finds come up. Congrats to Kaister who not only had his first ever hammered today but also had his Second ever hammered as well  Wink  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:06:21 PM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal