Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Ancestors v Mother In-laws  (Read 2311 times)
Steve
Rally attendee

« on: January 22, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »

Whenever we visit the mother in law (I know its a dirty job but needs must) we are treated to her latest ancestors found while doing her family tree. According to her, she is related to Robert the Bruce because some Scottish lady of the manor eloped from Scotland and ended up in Cardiff. Which is true but where Robert the Bruce came from who knows. Then the father in law according to her is related to Captain Morgan the pirate. So far though the only connection I have heard off the father in law is that the surnames the same and he used to have long lost uncle on the banana boats (thats enough proof for the Mother in-law).
Any way have now managed to shut her up. I have an unusual surname and thought I would see what I could find out about it and the earliest records of it recorded. I have been told my surname means mercenary in Danish so that was a start the next time I saw her. You could see the look of fear in her eyes (and the father inlaws light up) when she thought her daughter could be married to somebody who would kill for money. Unfortunately it didn't stop her. Nor did she stop when I told her that Hector in Troy had a friend with the same name. The last connection did finish her and it is no longer mentioned anymore. When I told her that Julius Caesar's sister was married to one and her name was Germana and guess what country he gave her for a wedding present. The Father in law and I used (hes passed away now) to always have a laugh about it. As he reckons in 40 years of marriage it was the only time she had been shut up. I know the link is rather frail but I thought it was a funny story.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:33:52 PM by Steve » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal