Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (HELP) A Few Things To Clear Up :D  (Read 4358 times)
flipper
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:43:08 PM by flipper (phil) » Logged
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »

do you have any dimensions off the cartridge casings ? they look .303 but are quite old and could well be WW1 vintage.
Also on the back end will be some markings, if you can read and post these i should be able to i.d these for you.
Cheers
Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
willow tree

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

bullets are 303 looks like ww1 judging what i can see on the bottom for sure nice find mate
willow tree

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »

the arrow is called a military broad arrow used to identify army property during ww1 and ww2 and some military property is still has the broad arrow today ...the letters on the bullets are from the armoury which made them also the rifle which fired them during both world wars was a lee enfield 303 hope that helps cheers willow tree

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »

as willow tree says, I've checked the case dimensions, defo .303
i'm 99% sure they are WW1 due to the lack of stampings on the base.
It was most likely fired by the S.M.L.E. No.1 Mk.3. if that's the case.
I will say whatever rifle fired them gave the primer a nice hard central strike, i rifle i'd have been happy to take into battle Smiley

Legacy Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »

that is great info
debs
simon c

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

Flipper,i think the silver coin is either a love token or token,not sure what the marks mean though,looks like its made from possibly a William 3rd six pence or shilling,the other love token could be a Georgian half penny.Good bit of info on the .303's Karl the indentation from the firing pin is different on some of the .303's I've found is that due to different models or earlier Enfields?
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:08:14 PM »

If the colour in the picture is a true representation, then it's Bristol blue glass, 18th/19th century.

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:13:59 PM »

Hi Simon, as the hammer spring wears (and indeed the firing pin itself) the srike will get lighter and the indentation less, this will eventually lead to failure to discharge. you will also notice the indentation will not always be central, this is due to manufacturing tolerances and wear in the chamber and in the bolt action, again the more off center, the higher the chance of a poor strike.Military Ammo tend to have hard primers anyway, and the cases have two flash holes inside to transfer the initall flame front from the primer to the propellant more efficiently, these are known as Berdan primers, hunting ammo just has one flash hole inside (that was just a bit of useless info really don't know why i included that Huh) oh yes hard primers, that's why i like to see a good central strike on a military rifle Wink Smiley

simon c

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »

Thanks Karl,some very interesting info Smiley
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »

that is very interesting info
debs
simon c

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

I think the stamps are deliberate Flipper,but i can't see 7 different stamps being used just to prove it used to be a coin,the letters could be initials,the two symbols which are the same I'm fairly sure I've seen somewhere before,just can't remember where lol Huh.And to be honest the best conditioned George 3rd six pence I've found has been stamped with initials,which must have been done when the coin was fairly new.Some people like the idea that the stamping of coins was done to measure work completed and used as a means to collect payment .
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »

Symbols, design(s) or lettering were punched on a coin to change its value, usage or purpose. Also known as a counterstamp.  Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »

love tokens were used before engagement rings.....if a fella was going to ask his girl friend to marry him,he would rub a coin on stone to remove all markings, then put a bend on one side ( probably using his teeth )..if his girl friend accepted his proposal he would put a bend on the other side and in the opposite direction...so the coin looked like a letter "S"....the girl would carry this with her......they got lost...or thrown away if they finished.....thats how so many are found......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal