Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoards found by Detectorists part 1 - The Hoxne Hoard . . .  (Read 37641 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 27, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »

I know most of you will already know about this Roman hoard that was found by a detectorist, but I thought a few of our newer members might like to see what literally was found just a few inches below the soil!

The Hoxne Hoard, found in 1992 by a metal detectorist and has been described as the finest Roman hoard ever discovered in Britain. Its items are not of the impressive size of those from Mildenhall, but their shear numbers and exquisite quality make them stand out. Around 200 gold and silver objects along with 14,780 (mostly silver) coins - the accumulated wealth of an important Roman family - were carefully wrapped in cloth and packed in wooden boxes, some with tiny silver padlocks, in the very last days of the Roman occupation of Britain (after AD 407). Both jewellery and plate are represented, as well as more personal items such as a golden body chain and ear cleaners! There are 19 gold bracelets, 78 silver spoons, 20 ladles and a series of modelled figures, four of them silver gilt pepperpots in the shape of an Empress (possibly Helen), an ibex, a hound chasing a hare and Hercules wrestling with Antaeus. Exceptional is the inlaid prancing tigress, once part of a large silver vase. There are several inscriptions and one of the main owners appears to have been a man named Aurelius Ursicinus.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:58:36 AM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Legacy Hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »

They are lovely great finds
debs
1morecoin
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

That is one of my favourite Hoards, I saw some of the coins and artefacts on display a few years back, absolutely fantastic.

Makes my Hoard look like a purse loss Cry
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »

magnificent !!..oh to be so lucky..... Wink.....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »

Hell Neil it does leave you drooling. I have looked at pics of the hoard a few times over the years and what a fantastic find for any body and you would not complain if you found just half of that. Thanks for the inspiration Neil and even though I can hardly walk at the moment It just makes you want to be out there.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »

geez what a find ,imagine the buzz of finding that peice of history,quality!

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
adrian wall

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

just come back from the british museum and I saw the hoard displayed, fantastic.
Metalmickey

Fisher F75 User.Some Men are Wise, Some Otherwise!

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »

You can view the Hoard here : http://www.hoxne.net/history/hoard.html

If you want to understand today, you have to search for yesterday !!
Pon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »

I had the pleasure of meeting Eric a few years ago whilst working in Suffolk, i was not a million miles away from Hoxne driving down a country lane between jobs when i spotted a detectorist in a field. Well, you just have to go and say hello..it rude not too!, so off I set across the field to introduce myself.
He was a great guy to talk to showing me what he had found that day...He had about 3 3rd/4th Century roman grots and looked really pleased with his finds, It was whilst looking at these coins I suddenly realised I knew this guys face and said "your names not Eric is it"? He looked at me with a little smile and said "yes"
It was like meeting a national hero for me, as he was one of the main reasons I got into detecting in the first place and my reason for choosing a Tesoro Silver Sabre.
30 mins later we are still stood in the same spot talking about anything and everything (mainly about a certain little find he had a few years previous).  
Made my day and I'm pleased to say hes a great guy and never once looked bored at all the questions I asked him which I'm sure hes probably had to answer a thousand times before.

Oh..forgot to say, one thing he did put me right on was my pronunciation of the name "Hoxne" I used to say it as its spelt, like "Hoxknee". All the locals however pronounce it "Hoxon"....well when in Rome as they say Smiley  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:17:35 PM by Pon » Logged

You can always tell a Black Country kid. You just can't tell him much!
Al
Rally attendee

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »

I have just read with great interest the articles from Pon and Neil, This is what detecting is all about friendship, discovery and a story to tell.
Regards
Alan

Garrott Ace 250

Finds to Date:
Coins £5.24
Ring Modern =1 (Nice)
nonker10

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »

i dont know how right it is but i read that eric had gone into the feild to try and find a hammer for the farmer.apparently eric had only found a couple of geo 5th coins before this amazing find came to light.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »

Heres the images of some of the finds that have disappeared since the original posty.

Its nice to dream  Roll Eyes

Neil

* k108326_l.jpg (271.07 KB, 600x600 - viewed 1270 times.)

* ps316618_l.jpg (96.39 KB, 600x600 - viewed 1303 times.)

* ps265455_l.jpg (110.78 KB, 600x600 - viewed 1267 times.)

* ps265737_l.jpg (57.86 KB, 600x600 - viewed 1372 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »

Wow what a hoard, look at the work what's gone into the spoons, each bowl is highly decorated!

Cheers for the pics Neil Wink
M111kca
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »

Know I would of love to see his face when he dug that up bet he was smiling for days,probably going to make myself look dumb here but was he the same guy who made detectors?
Digitall
Rally attendee

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »

I'm going to be detecting this weekend in a field about a 1/2 of a mile from where the Hoxne Hoard was found, last time I was in the area, all I found was a Levi's jeans button!   Embarrassed

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal