Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A year in the life of DetectingWales.com  (Read 26972 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 04, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »

As our first calender year as a Detecting Website is drawing to a close, I thought it would be apt to have a quick review of the past year and touch upon some of the highlights and the occasional lowlights of what has been a very eventful year.

The 15th February 2009 saw the the inaugural Detectingwales.com rally located in the Ancient Vale of Glamorgan courtesy of Altinkum. It was an absolute success and started the ball rolling on the rally front. For that we owe Altinkum a debt of thanks as he brought our Rally plans hurtling forward by several months with his kind offer of land. It was an eventful day, with a smattering of hammered and milled silver coins and a small coin shaped piece of gold than soon started us off speculating that Mickycoin may have found the Worlds first Welsh stater! No matter what the report was back from the Museum, I personally am still convinced it is a coin!

Into mid March and TaffLaff has recently joined the site full of enthusiasm and provided us the land for our 2nd Rally. The numbers were swollen for this one following a media campaign which sees Detectingwales.com securing a regular slot in Treasure Hunting magazine. We have managed to attract members to the rally from West Wales, Hereford and Bristol - all of whom make some decent finds. Ancient Pat steals the day for the first and not the last time with a 22ct gold ring. Borderfox found a fake Charles 1st Halfcrown and James 2nd aptly found a James 1st shilling amongst other silver coins.

At the end of March we ventured into Caerleon - home of the Romans and also as it turned out home of Suspect Devices! This was certainly not the most relaxing rally for myself as shortly into the day I think it was DetectorDave who informed me that a suspect device had been found. I still laugh now when I think of the alarm on the wpc voice when I rang the police station to tell them that we had found a suspected bomb. She calmly asked were there many people around the area. When I replied "Yeah, theres about 30 people leaning over the hole as we speak!" She literally screamed and yelled at me to make a 100 metre exclusion zone! To cut a long story short Newports finest came out and were shortly followed by Herefords Army Bomb Disposal Squad. The result two hours later was one industrial animal feed trough! Still it must rate as the funniest rally to date, as we virtually found bugger all apart from the trough!

Its early May and a rally that went down in the history of Detectingwales.com rallies as Hammerdfest 2009! It was our first raid over the bridge and once everyone had secured their passports, and said goodbyes to loved ones on fear of not returning, we were in the fields! At least 14 hammered coins and numerous milled coins, buckles, Roman dice, and other finds appeared. Some of the stand out finds went to Chef in the form of a virtually unmarked Groat and Ancient Pat again who had three hammered coins. Barry also found and then lost again a medieval buckle. The only other downside was the pile of Human excrement which was destined for the fields. I  think it was Adie who remarked that his car had stunk for weeks later! Well gents as they say "Where theres muck, theres brass!"

Rally Number 5 and we venture to Basseleg to land supplied by Millsy. I only briefly attended this one as I had a prior engagement on an all day Stag Doo! (what a suprise Roll Eyes). Geoff supplied the report and photos with the main finds being Colegwent with a gold and diamond ring and Shungav with a hammered sixpence.

We were back over to England for Rally number 6, which became known as The Sunburnt Rally as it was officially scorchio! Tongue It was a strange rally as not a lot of any age came out, although Terry did managed to find a gold coloured two dollar New Zealand coin, which is where he got the Kiwi Terry name he now goes by!

Over to Blackwood for Rally number 7 supplied by Digga which became known as the Meshak Memorial Rally following the unfortunate passing away of Detectingwales member Derek who was a close friend and neighbour to Phil Ynysboeth. The first find of the day was an infamous stair rod holder which led to much amusement all round following an ongoing debate as to their purpose! More importantly Ancient Pat was at it once again with two groats and a hammered gold coin. The first hammered gold to appear on one of our rallies and may there be many more!

The summer saw our long awaited Two Day Rally Event held in the glorious Vale of Glamorgan. There were numerous highlights that included:
TaffLaff's mansion of a tent, Gazza flying in from Spain, Gazza's cooking and his cabaret (the £1.70 joke! Grin), Marks gold sovereign, Beepy's Republican Denari, Casa Dos's bee hive thimble, Numerous hammered coins, Steven Kings Bronze Age gouge, TaffLaff's Roman button Wink (he knows what I mean), oh and the repeated requests at night time to keep the laughter down! Roll Eyes

Day two of the summer event saw us all rise a bit the worse for wear from our sleeping bags and back in the fields for more of the same. The stand out find was Willowtrees spoon. Once again though we were treated to numerous other items and the largest laugh of the day must have been amongst myself, Casa Dos, Adie, Richy etc as we sat watching TaffLaff, Melonhead, Phil Ynysboeth, Borderfox and others dig the biggest hole to date seen on a Detectingwales Rally. They were at it for nearly an hour and still none the wiser as to what they were digging for!

Rally number 10 was kindly provided by OneMoreCoin and turned out to unearth the rally finds of the year which fell luckily to Steven King in the shape of two socketed Bronze Age Axe Heads. Numerous members played a part in the digging and Melonhead recorded it all for posterity in digital video.  A truly great moment in our brief history as Detecting Wales.

October 4th saw a return to Caerleon and the addition of new members for as far as Northampton and Wolverhampton. We really have spread our wings since such humble beginnings. The finds of the day fell to Dennis Long with a gold and diamond ring and Earth24 who had a nice groat.

The final rally so far this year was held over the bridge again with a return to one of our previous sites, minus the human excrement now though! Not quite as successful as the first visit but that was due to the land not being available that we wanted. We still saw a smattering of hamsters though, with Benny having the coin of the day in the form of a James 1st shilling.

Apart from the finds on the rallies, we have been treated to some outstanding personal finds including Collegwent's stunning Roman Buckle, TaffLaffs Templar Ring and recently Rays Stater. Its not just the special finds though that make this site what it is. We all enjoy reading peoples accounts of their days detecting and seeing whats they have discovered.

As I touched upon earlier there have been times when it hasn't been an easy year for some of us, with a member passing away, and on another occasion a member being there for someone as they left this World. On a less serious note there was also the issue with a few ex-members that was a testing time for the DW admin team, which we have now moved on from and will not be revisiting.

I think after everything this year, the site has come out stronger than ever and this is perhaps best highlighted by the recent joining of our 500th member!

For the forthcoming year we have a few ideas in the pipeline, including a Rally location the likes of which we have never attempted before, and with any luck another two day summer event. So keep visiting the site and making it what it is.

Thanks you for your support over the past 12 months.

Neil, Geoff, Rob and the Detecting Wales team.

P.S. I'll be launching the Christmas Competition next week. Thanks go to Gazza for supplying a cracking prize. More on that later!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:18:18 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »

More photos from the year

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

The bomb!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »

Still more

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »

Rally 7 onwards!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

Rallies 8 and 9

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »

Rally 10 onwards

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »

Last photos for now!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »

very good report neil on a year with d.w.com ive injoyed is a under statement dont time fly met alot of new freinds you one of them  Wink and a number of very good detectorists this year as been such a sucsess with the thanks of (jellybelly taffy) neil dundee) jeff the terrier) and last but not least (phillis phil ) and hope how new mods will join in and do the same this year not being a a-- licker  Tongue i think a big thankyou is more than in order credit were credit is dew and of corse a big thankyou from me for letting me be a part of it all the best for 2010 (phil)

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

Great end of year report Neil  Grin

Wow That a year !

Ive got a lots of good memorys from all the DW rallys i was lucky enough to attend

Cant wait to do it all again Next Year ?
150aceboy
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »

Great report Neil, nice to see the finds and finders, well done Neil and DW members Smiley
Ace  Wink
cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »

Thanks to DW i have got a great introduction into this hobby, and met some great people. May it continue for a long, long time. Grin
Thanks

Bats Smiley

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »

what an exellent post .... really enjoyed that  Wink  some stunning pics too, well done  Smiley

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

Cracking Post that Neil excellent fella.

Yeah a big well done to all the Detecting Wales members.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 05:19:46 PM »

excellent report, well done neil and the DW team.

look forward to meeting u all again in 2010.

well done everyone involved with DW.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal