Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Headphones????  (Read 34039 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »

Hi all, well I have been asked several times, by email and PM about headphones, about different makes and models, which are the best and what to look for when choosing.
So I thought I would pass on some thoughts and observations on the different types of headphones which I hope will help you when deciding on the headphones for you.

Firstly are there a pair of headphones that are perfect for metal detecting? …...Here a should say, yes the Chef-Phones, but in truth there aren't a pair that are perfect. This is for a few reasons, not the least being that there are so many detectors with  different audio circuits, thus the best we can hope for is a “good” match.
Also the hobby of metal detecting is relatively small ( there are 27 times as many bell ringers in the UK than regular detectorists) and because of this the “top” headphone companies will not invest the time and money into developing detecting headphones.

What makes a good pair of detecting headphones?........ Many people will have there own view of on this answer, as headphones are a personal thing, for example if you have invested you hard earned £1 on a pair of plastic headphones in the local pound shop, then gone out and found 12 hammered coins, then who am I to say your headphones are no good.
Also if you are using a multi tone machine, and you use a pair of headphones with it for a few months then to you that is how that machine is meant to sound.

No headphones are going to get you better finds (unless the ones you have are really really bad).
Once again certain machines work better with speakers that enhance the machines particular response. The Chef-Phones CP1 (Koss copy) work well with most machines especially the Minelab range because of there extended bass response. Whereas the Super Lights CP2 work at a higher frequency range and are better with the XP and even the Xterra range.
I have found that I can match speakers to certain models but this would be so costly, that no one would buy them.

The American makes ie Grey Ghosts, Black Widows, Nugget busters, Sun-Ray Pro Gold, are general purpose and once again work well with a wide range of detectors. One point to remember here is that all the above USA  headphones are exactly the same, the same speakers, the same controls, their slight difference in tone is achieved by the different shape of the headphone shell's, so don't be fooled by the add's.

People often look for loud headphones, as if this will help them find things, Please, please remember that the safe audio level is only 80 db and no signal is going to be quieter than the threshold, so if you can run your threshold as low as is normal then you are going to hear everything above that.

So what makes a good pair of headphones? Basically it comes down to 3 important points, 1/ TONES the speakers should have good tonal separation (any headphone above say £20 will have this).  2/ COMFORT, remember you are going to be wearing them for hours on end, bad fitting will result in Headaches, sore ears or even pressure sores.
3/ And most importantly is SOUND ISOLATION, not what you can hear inside from the machine but what you can't hear from outside. A good test is to turn a radio on with people talking (radio 4) turn the volume onto normal listening (not loud, not quiet) and put it at the other end of the room now pop your headphones on if you can still hear the radio easily, then get some new ones. Now plug them into your machine and turn the threshold on, if you can still follow the conversation. Take them off, jump up and down on them, throw them in the fire, then go and get some new ones.

Most of you will already know most of the above but I hope it may unravel some of the mystic and hype for all those new to the hobby.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:40:52 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »

Some good points there Chef its all personal preference at the end of the day
I go for the loudest i can find because I'm easily distracted by outside noise being a nosey sort of person lol.

I wont name any names but I bought a pair with very good sound insulation (they were more like ear defenders)
But the band was to tight for my Big head (NO Comments Please lol) so it gave me headaches and the volume wasn't has good at my Trusty Koss UK30,s I will say The UR 30s are the ugliest Headphones on the market today lol
Im not thinking of ditching my pair of UR30s anytime soon but could you tell me the difference,s and price between your Chef phones and the Koss UR30.s  ?

all the best
Phil Jones
1morecoin
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »

thanks for that info Geoff, it certainly helped me.

Steve.
cronge (richard)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »

i have had quite a few sets of phones,and find that the leads stretch on the curly leads,they catch on branches etc,and after a bit you are tripping over the leads,so you have to buy a new set of phones,
but to give you credit geoff the phones you sell are the best i have had so far,they work really well with my dfx,and should i stretch the leads i can just replace the leads instead of the whole set up.
many thanks cronge
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »

Hi cronge

I take it chef,s leads are the ...2 one at both ends type ?
Thats a big advantage over the UR30s (fixed lead) ive had to repair mine 3 times this year ;0(
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:17:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply Chef how much would a Chef-Phones Cp1 set me back ?
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:29:31 PM »

Hi Chef

I know this wasnt an avert some great info for newbies and old timers alike on your thread.

When the time comes to get a new pair of phones I,ll defo contact you

all the best
phil
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »

Sorry to resurrect this after so long folks but its response to a pm from a member Undecided
ysbytymike

Bliss V3, Headhunter Pro, Teknetic T2, C-Scope CS7

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:01:57 AM »

Bought a pair of CP2 off Chef and they're brill. Can spend all day in them and still not know I'm wearing them (no pressure points).
The lead is pluggable on both ends so if you do damage it, you only have to replace the lead not the whole set-up.

Can highly recommend Chef-Phones.

Life is all about questions - Death brings all the answers   (md)
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »

Chef's phone are brill i listen my jaque brel with it too , no serious good piece of kit and very robust . must have one .Nap
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:08 PM »

hi have a pair of chef's phones and find them really good in sound and comfort and highly recommend them.viv
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »

hi have a pair of chef's phones and find them really good in sound and comfort and highly recommend them.viv

ditto

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
bajero

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »

aye, matter of personal taste; however i have a set of cp3's from chef and find them to b very good phones with good quality leads, good sound isolation and if u ever have any probs with them, chef will sort it out, diolch yn fawr
foody
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »

hi folks.
i'm very new to all this, but what about gaming headphones? i do a lot of pc gaming and some of the headphones i've tried are very comfortable,have a built in volume control and because of the sensitivty needed in gaming to detect the sneaky bad guys coming up behind you, they tend to have very good tonal response.a plus side is you can get a good set for under twenty quid, although you may have to remove the mic, which is easy enough.

why do bad things happen straight away whilst good things come to those who wait?
Johnboy25

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »

Still pleased with after18 months. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal