Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much publicity ??  (Read 11534 times)
Debbie

« on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »

In the light of all the media attention on the £3.2 million hoard, can too much publicity be a burdon?

I was queueing in Clydach post office today, and could not help overhearing a conversation between a customer and the lady behind the counter.   The gist of it must have been about what the customer had in mind to by his young daughter for Christmas, and after hearing about the bike that he had bought her, he then followed on with "and we got her a metal detector - she wants to go out and dig up gold and silver herself".......

After the crackers have gone off with a bang and the turkey is stuffed, how many people do you think will be climbing over fences and gates and switching on their shiny new detectors hoping to find treasure just 4" under the surface  Shocked Shocked

The words  "tar" and "brush" come to mind. Sad

What does anyone else think ?
Deb
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:05:55 PM by Debbie » Logged
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 01:18:57 PM »

I agree Debbie.

i just wish that those who sell metal detectors, would also include a series of notes on

how to record the artefacts,
the importance of recording,
how one must seek permission to detect on land and beaches,
the work of the PAS

and above all else, info on the country code.

cheers

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Debbie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »

Spot on Alan - documentation on all the points you raised should be included as a matter of course, even with the 'cheap and cheerful' machines, starting at £19.99, from Maplins and the like.
150aceboy
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »

I agree with you both, the big publicity can be a bad thing for our hobby, in that a lot of people , not just youngsters, think thats what a metal detector is for "TREASURE".
If they only knew, that 99 % of the things we find are of no use to anyone, but to us i suppose their treasure.
Then there's the people who have never heard, you need permission and no you can't detect on ancient sites, etc, etc.
Then when we do find something good, still waiting though myself, then we do the right thing and get it recorded.
How many finds i wonder have not been recorded, and will never see the light of day, by so called wanna be Treasure Hunters  Huh Huh
Makes the mind Boggle  Undecided
Ace  Wink
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:58:50 PM by 150aceboy » Logged
detectordave

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

I don't understand why FID or the NCMD do not get any publicity when a find like this happens.Why don't the finders say something about this in the interviews because you can be dam sure if it was a FID or NCMD member who found it will be in their booklets and any paperwork that is sent out to members of their organizations also in any write ups in the two detecting mags.I also think that some people get into this hobby just to try and make a few quid out of it again this is the fault of the media, programmes likehen it will just carry o time team do not help in any way in fact they make it worse.Lets face it how many times have Tony Robinson and Mick Aston said that detectorists are theives stealing the countrys past.As long as the hobbies main two representives stay quiet and take no action over this then it will just carry on.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »

I couldn't agree more with you Debbie, so much so that I've just got off the phone to my friends who own and run Keens Guns, in Aberkenfig.
They also sell Bounty hunter and Viking Detectors (this is what got me started)
They have agreed that, if i can give them the info, they will in turn copy it and give it out with every Detector sold,
The Stuff they sell is exactly the target customer i think we are talking about.
To that end, can anyone help me compile this by Tomorrow? Shocked, as i need to go to the shop in the afternoon on other business.
Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
gafflad
Rally attendee

one step behind goldmaxx on tour

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »

i dont just see new people coming into the hobby some that have been in it for years need read the rule book again .
  i welcome anyone to the hobby its  up to them how they act if the right way or wrong way.
 everyone had to start somewhere .
 its sites like this that should help them to be put right on the right way and wrong way to do things its called helping .
  i think a bit more on the wrong and right way to do things on the site may help new comers more and some old that didt get the rules the first time round.

i have seen a lot in 30yrs i have been doing it boy i could right a book on it Mmmm idea there?

one step behind
 FID member
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »

salty

the PAS scheme have printed leaflets on the scheme, the recording process and treasure act.

contact your local FLo [Mark?] and aks for a few handouts and pass them onto your contact.

cheers

alan

Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »

Thanks Alan, I've done some digging and I've just about got it covered now.
This will get them going, I'll take your advice for the future though, I'll see Mark on Wednesday.
To be fair to the shop, they always warn people to get permission before they go searching, but the rest of the info will be news to them,after all, their main business is firearms and fishing tackle.
I know there are loads of shops in similar positions, the Detector manufacturers/Importers should be enclosing this info Sad

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:08:56 PM »

i totally agree Karl.

in fact perhaps handing out such information with detectors should be a legal requirement?

gafflad
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »

Phil if thats what you think why did you join the hobby people detecting at that time could have said that about you joining the hobby.
 it seems to me you want it for yourself . this hobby is for anyone .
 who knows they may behave better than some that have been detecting for years.
 who give people the right to say who or who not can join the hobby.
  yes they may need educating and showing the right way to do things but thats up to people that have been doing it longer to show them and talk to them .
 like i said everyone started somewhere and no one has the right to say who or who not can detect .

one step behind
 FID member
gafflad
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »

i can understand where you are coming from but dint you think educating them better in the hobby .
 if i talk to people even if i dint know them or its just someone who walked over to see what its about i find time to talk  .  most the time they walk off bored i talk them to death and they think i dint want to be doing that hobby and ending up like him lol

one step behind
 FID member
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:51:14 AM »

Hi Gaff

you make some good comments, but i would like to expand upon some of the generalisations you make, in order to help those newbies reading this thread.

you wrote  "yes they may need educating and showing the right way to do things but thats up to people that have been doing it longer to show them and talk to them" .

i agree with that comment, but it can only happen if those who purchase detectors actually make contact with clubs or fellow detectorists [Regretfully, very few do], i wouldn't want a newbie to pick up the bad habits of nighthawkers for example.

"like i said everyone started somewhere and no one has the right to say who or who can not detect"
i agree with the thrust of the comment, but there is actually legislation available to prevent people participating in such a hobby, if they have previous convictions that would put the hobby in jeopardy, if they were to participate.... we both know however, that it is very very very rarely used.

"i can understand where you are coming from but dint you think educating them better in the hobby
."

if we can get them into clubs or to make contact with relaible groups thro the FLO's knowledge, then i would agree with you. Regretfully many come into this hobby with the idea that it's a get rich quick scheme with not a blind bit of appreciation of our historical heritage and the value of recording finds.

cheers
Alan

gafflad
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »

yes thats my way of thinking getting them into clubs ect.

only thing is past times i have joined clubs the welcome was nill .
 i will not say what clubs but i find when i first started the clubs where great people talked to you but
 i tyred to join 5 clubs in the past 10years  and it felt like i was a man with two heads or guilty of something i just never went back .

i think the word is CLICKY .
 i think new people to the hobby after going to one of the clubs meets would not bother again and go there own way be it good or be it bad.
 please don't get me wrong i don't think all the clubs are like this i bet there are some great ones but i am still looking for it .
 the last one i went to the only word said to me was £1 please and near the end would you like to join its £12 or at the next meeting. i felt i was on show all night .
i think shops should point people in the right way by giving the address of the clubs and once a new person comes its up to the club to make them welcome and that way help them into the hobby the right way of doing things.

one step behind
 FID member
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »

"i think shops should point people in the right way"

i would agree that they have a role to play in passing on information, but its the detector manufacturers who must ensure that they place a higher emphasis than at present, on the value of recording artefacts.   They should also be promoting the PAS scheme big time.

i agree with your comments re: clubs and their 'cliqueness'. I'm not surprised that there is such suspicion of new members, particularly as one cannot be sure of their  motives!. Only time will reveal their true motivation.

i still think that all those newbies who purchase  a detector should be required to attend a course [either online, or evening class] on various aspects associated with detecting. maybe that is how we should be promoting the hobby and the responsibility expected of those who participate in it.

finally, in the local PAS report for our county, it reported that only 32 detectorists recorded finds with the scheme, yet we know of well over 700 detectorists attended clubs throughout  the year! [make of that statistic what you will!!]

cheers
alan

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal