Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: BOTTLE DIGGING  (Read 21872 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: November 22, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »

as we all have other hobbies and talking to COLEGGWENT yesterday about his other hobby of bottle digging and looking at some off COLEGGWENT bottles he as found and very nice old ones as well , always wondered what it would be like to do this hobby of bottle digging so i will put a link on here for us who are intrested and to see this fascinating hobby, i think a few other D.W.members on here do it as well ,by the way COLEGGWENT went out today bottle digging wonder how he got on Huh Roll Eyes, hope you let us know MR CCCCOOOGGGLLLEEEE Grin
  ( the photo is just a example what can be found )Grin

http://www.diggersdiary.co.uk/Diggingmainpage.htm
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:33:36 PM by CASA-DOS (kev) » Logged
150aceboy
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »

Strange that Kev, i also used to do Bottle Digging, spent hours at it, and moved tons of ash over the years. Made up quite a collection too. Don't do it know though to much hard work on the old shoulders and back  Cheesy.
Eventually sold 99% of my collection, including Ginger beers, Pot Lids etc,etc. as they took so much room.
Good fun though mate, the same thrill as metal detecting, you never know what you'll dig up  Huh
Ace  Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:16:13 PM by 150aceboy » Logged
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »

hi  me too, moved tons of earth looking for them, old maps of victorian tips is a must for the seriouse diggers, my best find was a cheery blossom boot polish lid with coloured cherries on it, long gone but have heard they are very rare?? still have some bottles, gave some away not long ago. same as detecting once you start.. you have had it  good post thanks  mickycoin   mick

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
mel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »

Yep been there got the T shirt  many moons ago with my brother,  come to think about it theres a cracking old tip
not far from me i should pay it a visit  theres bottles n jars every where you walk.
seeker

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »

me too  Smiley love a bit of bottle digging and bottles are only the tip of the iceberg of what you can find when you get in to a rich vain   Smiley

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »

I'd love to go boittle digging. Dont think I'd be able to walk for a month though with my spinal athritis Embarrassed.  I  got a Victorian dump on one of my farms maybe we can sort something out one day to incorporate using it.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
detectordave

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »

Rob i would be well up for that but not till i had my back op Wink

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »

I thought Most detectorists where either fisherman or where fishermen at one time.
turns out your all mostly bottle diggers

Few years ago during a very dry summer I went detecing the woods near the Upper Neuadd Reservoir in the Brecon Beacons when i noticed complete bottles sticking out of the mud at the sides of the dry reservoir.
I collected up 20/30 bottles mostly with turned necks or the class marble stopper type
I think they could have been left by the navvies working on the reservoir
some were maked Birmingham and Bradford
Might be worth a trip if your into collecting
all the best
phil
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »

I also used to "Bottle-Dig" Great fun !  Smiley

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
zorro
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »

still got 2 buckets of bottles found by myself and kids from a site near where i live. amongst the debris the kids also found a pair of false teeth !, unfortunatley no gold fillings tho  Sad
a couple of nice old perfume bottles but nothing of any value i dont think. a freind found an old LLANELLY bee bottle with glass marble in which he sold for £15.
never done it more than the once tho, land was cleared for new homes.
was good fun while it lasted tho and gave my kids a " taste" of archeaology.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:13:17 PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley not for the guys with bad backs it will kill you thats for sure  Undecided just a bit of advice guys alot of guys have died doing it the best stuff is allways on the bottom and the bottom can be 12ft down so so be very carefull if your not when you under mine the sides it can cave in on you thats the end of that (brown bread) its not earth as the guys have said in there posts its black ash from the old fires and dont compact very well but its a great hobby and i love it my wife hates me going on my own she knows the risks here today gone tomorrow i say  Cheesy

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
150aceboy
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Hey Phil, that actually happened to my son-in-law a few years ago now. We were digging away on top of a banking, waist deep lucky enough,  when all of a sudden the ash give way.
I managed to jump out of the way, but my son-in-law, was stuck fast from the waist down Shocked .
Sounds awefull i know, but i PMSL Grin Grin, could'nt help him, the more he struggled the more i laughed Grin.
After i cooled down , had a smoke and a cup of tea, my son and i dug him out, and thats a true story  Smiley Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin
Ace  Wink
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »

yes ace it do happen and some are not so lucky i know five guys that got killed from it  Undecided but i love it so if you dont dig any more and know for some tips i would be more that gratefull if you would give me some infow on them allways looking for new tips  Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
150aceboy
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »

Phil, as i said its been years now mate, both of the main tips i used to dig on, one is under a factory site now, and the other has a housing estate built on it.
But on my travels, i'll have a good look for you , to see if there are any tips still around the borough, there's bound to be some still around,  if i find any mate, , i will let you know of them straight away.
you got me racking my old swede now Grin
Cheers Ace  Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:10:44 PM by 150aceboy » Logged
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »

Been interested in bottles since the 70s, when I discovered a load of old bottles that a farmer had uncovered on his land. Never done the really deep hole-digging myself, but would like to have a go if a good site turned up.

I still have a small collection of GBs and commoner patents packed away in boxes. I lived in the village of Nelson at the time and I have a few GBs from the local firms of EM Jones, EM Peters and Peters & Osborne. Anyone seen any of these on their travels?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal