Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dont call me chicken!  (Read 6766 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: February 13, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »

A couple of days ago I was google earthing farms in my area, not really much to get excited about , however a couple of farms  in the Neath area attracted my attention, they had some interesting features close to them so I gave one of the farmers a ring. I spoke to a very nice lady on the phone, she said it would be fine with her for me to detect, but for me to double check with her husband first. I phoned back the next day , introduced myself and the farmer was most accomidating. Really decent guy to speak to, he said there'd been some interesting finds found by workers on the farm and I could have the run of the farm no problems... brilliant. He then asked me a favour. He asked if I would look for his Wedding ring that he had lost some 5 months back, I said no problem ...I was only to fglad to help. He then went on to explain where he thought it may be..... Underneath 2 tons of chicken manure.. Shocked . Ermmmmm......

Today I went over the farm , cold cloudy day but fine , so after buying a new pair of anti chicken poop wellington boots I made my way to Neath.

Got to the farm and was greeted by the lady i spoke to on the phone. She showed me around, told me which fields were they'rs and introduced me to the pile of chicken excrement. Wow that was a load of shit .

She left me to it and i made a few quick sweeps of the outside yard. Impossible to detect it was ful of fragments my detector was going haywire, so i made my way to the poop pile......slowly got within 10 ft of it and picked up a signal, quite shallow, dug it, Cartwheel penny, another couple of yards and a belt buckle. Then the chicken poop, It was a good 3 foot deep. I raked and raked to try and flatten bits of it ..god the stench was awful , I will never moan about changing the babies nappy again! I scanned what i could but it was impossible, the pile was surrounded by zincs and again it was too much interference. After an hour of gut wrenching , retina burning nasal hair scorching fumes I decided to have a break and do some detecting where the air didnt hurt my eyes.

I detected in the pasture around the farmhouse for a couple of hours. brought up a couple of thrupennys a couple of 1907 pennys a 1694 halfpenny or penny? a pendant with a biblical verse on it, and the normal buckles and buttons. Followed by two dogs and a nutty black sheep I worked my way back to the farmhouse and was greeted by the farmer that had lost his wedding ring.He pointed out the areas he'd been on the day his ring was lost he also said it would be fine for me to check the chicken runs as there'd once been a really old farm building on there.

Now I've never been surrounded by that many chickens before, and they all wanted to "help", every hole I dug they were in there pecking my wellys pecking my detector...give in!...lol.

A bit earlier the farmer had showed me where he had taken manure over to a herb garden so I searched the garden but nothing. There was a small pasture... garden size around the herb garden, half heartedly I decided to check this garden, by now my back was killing and I was cold I'd had enough! I searched up one side of the garden, turned around andstopped straightened by back and turned, as I turned my detector gave the sweetest signal I'd had all day. Iooked down and there nestled amongst the grass was the guys wedidng ring!!!!!!!!  I... could...not...belive...it. What a result. To say the couple was over the moon was an understatment the look of relief in their faces was self evident. They offered me a reward which I declined, they were good enough to allow me to search their land , I said that was reward in itself. But I did accept some lovely fresh chicken eggs!! I've now got permission to detect, whenever I want and the farmer is going to show me around the other farms in the area that I can detect on.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »

Well Done Rob - that is a quality Post mate.

Nice to give something back and you can be assured that the word of mouth recommendation they will give for you to other farmers will be second to none!

As a newbie to this game (I think) congratulations - you've just scored a shed load of land!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »

Well done Rob, a true ambassador of our sport. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Looking at the size of that wedding ring the farmer must have hands like shovels. lol.

Richy.

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

Brilliant story that Rob, well done mate they must have been chuffed to bits.

Lets's hope that the farmer tells all his farming mates & maybe lots more land as a result.

Top Marks

BB

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »

*Bump* for charles , thanks fella.

waltonbasinman
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »

You be all right for a roast when you want one then Rob.  Grin Grin Grin
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »

*Bump*  for Jonola

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »

I enjoyed reading that Rob whilst giggling,well done for finding the ring in the end & getting all that land. Grin

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:53 PM »

well done robo Wink

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »

No shit that was a great post Rob...well done m8t.....PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
onehorseAl( Al)

FID,Explorer !! & Deus User

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »

Well done Rob on finding the ring and on a rally good read.!
Al Smiley Smiley Smiley

Let the world go away 'cos I'm Bleeping today.
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »

Spot on Geezer ! I bet when you had that sweetest of signals you was well Egg-cited !  Grin

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »

old post , happened back in Feb. Bumped in for Jonola  Wink

ROMAN STEVE
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »

Well done a good story nice
to see it paid off for you in the
end

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »

bump for Napolean

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal