Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold hammered coin found in Powys sparks legal row.  (Read 4151 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 14, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »

Courtesy of BBC Online 14th November 2009

The discovery of a rare 15th Century gold coin in Powys has triggered a legal row.
The coin, from the reign of Henry IV, was unearthed by contractor Shaun Bufton on 28 April while he was working on a new water pipeline in Newtown. But archaeologists failed to return it to him.

Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust said it had made a mistake in not returning the coin and it regretted not having told him what was happening. When it was minted in about 1400, Henry IV had just become king and Owain Glyndwr's rebellion was under way in Wales. Wafer-thin, it weighs only as much as a modern penny, but is the size of a 50p.

It is known as a noble coin and would have been used by international traders, the gentry or nobility. Shaun Bufton said he found it near a hedge on the site of a pipeline in Newtown.

He added: "A couple of gentlemen working for Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust took it away from me to investigate what it was."

Mr Bufton said he signed a form confirming he had found the ornate coin and was given a written promise by archaeologists would return it, but he has not seen it since. Mr Bufton said his solicitors in Newtown had written to the trust, but he had received no response.

"I've had nothing whatsoever," he added. "I'm a bit cheesed off basically.

"I want it to be returned. It's my coin as far as I'm concerned."

The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust said it made a "mistake" in not returning the coin to the finder and "regrets" not telling him what was happening to it. The coin was passed on to the owners of an industrial estate, Ashtenne, where it was found.

Ashtenne said it knew nothing about the coin until July when the trust told it the coin could be collected. Its now in Cardiff's National Museum of Wales while the company decides what to do with it.

Mr Bufton's solicitors, Robert Hanratty and Co, said a single coin was not treasure trove so legal ownership was unclear.

David Stephenson, a research fellow in medieval history at Bangor University, said the coin was known as a noble.

"It's probably a noble from the early part of the reign of Henry IV, let's say around 1400," he added.

"It's interesting because gold coins are something special.

"Although hundreds of thousands were made they only got used by very high value people." Mr Stephenson said not many of the coins survived.

"I think the coins tell us something and closer analysis may reveal what it tells us about the history of mid Wales at an interesting and rather mysterious time," he said.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:49:50 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Debbie

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »

Just look at the fantastic condition that coin is in - no wonder the guy who found it wants it back!!
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »

wow,  thats a cracker that,   i know someone that found one years ago,  don't know what condition it was in though i bet it wasn't that good,

mark barrett

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »

what a beut this coin is, lucky sod

swing low, aim high
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »

is'nt that typical of some archeologists who do'nt show any regard or respect for the general public(us included) who hand things to them recording...did'nt they even think of telling him what they intend doing with it?....byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
150aceboy
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »

Wow, wish i'd found it   Grin Grin
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »

yeah  looks like they didn't want him to have it back Byron hey, lol.   looks like he don;'t realise he has to share it with the landowner though, could be more probs ahead mate,

detectordave

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »

I might be wrong but i think i read somewhere that found items can be returned to the landowner and not to the finder can someone please tell me if this is correct? But that is a hell of a coin and i would be well peeved if that had happened to me.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »

And they call us thieves Huh

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »

There must be masses of stuff missing. Even on Time Team they admit they go to museums looking for pieces that were deposited there...and they are gone!
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

hi jonola

your last post made me recall a position of our local museum. this was closed 3 years ago and the stuff put into storage somewhere in the county.

last year a group of volunteers re-opened a museum, but only a few artefacts were released from storage into their care.

just recently they were told that the items in storage would be disposed within the next 4 weeks as it was proving to costly to keep them in there. they were offered the collection, but they were also told in the converstaion that they had 4 weeks to move out of their current council premises and to find somewhere else.

the current perception is that the council will now dispose of the entire museum collection -- probably thro auction. [yet most of the items were donated to the museum].

needless to say the council has financial problems due to a poor investment to the tune of £6m in an iceland bank

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
detectordave

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »

Handyman i know that every so often the BM puts items onto ebay to sell off. These items wold have been donated to them and they have been signed over to them to do as they want.

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
viking

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »

its a detectorists dream to find something as good as that ....  what a coin........ Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal