Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Poll
Question: What do you think is the biggest threat to our Hobby?
Nighthawkers
Not working together with the Archaeologists
Future government Legislation
Negative publicity from Media
I dont think theres any threat
Other

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll on what is the biggest threat to our Hobby ?  (Read 6230 times)
benny

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »

If you own a fishing rod it doesn't automatically make you a poacher so why should detecting be any different? The majority of places we search are never going to be funded for an archaelogical dig or probably of no real interest so any artefacts are just gonna be decimated by either farm machinery or chemicals anyway.Why not let someone with a common interest in history save them from destruction.
If there is a ban then museums will see a decrease in new artefacts on display and a lesser insight into our ancestry.
Let everyone know your a detectorist and that you don't agree with nighthawking,that way at least we might be able to stop the negative propaganda.
seeker

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »

Let everyone know your a detectorist and that you don't agree with nighthawking,that way at least we might be able to stop the negative propaganda.

i totally agree benny  :)thats what i think is the best way to safeguard our great hobby.

Terry

I WANT TO FIND MORE PULL TABS

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 11:35:50 PM »

Very good comments Benny,    I reckon that a national database with all metal detectorists that belong to clubs throughout the UK should be a member,  It wont stop the nighthawks but at least we will have an insight to how many and where the members are from,  and you must have to earn your membership via a recognised detector club,   I am willing to start this Database up if people think its a good idea,   maybe it has been tried before but failed,  any ideas let me know.
Terry
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »

The biggest threat to our hobby is (OURSELVES)  Angry the old biblical sins are still relevent today ( ENVY GREED  ETC ) when metal detectorists argue  over mainly petty matters (WHICH ) I,ve noticed a lot of these past months  Sad we don,nt need any other enemies we,re doing a grand Job ourselves Shocked rember the old trade union motto (UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL) Wink

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
seeker

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »

yes mole you are right . sure fed up with the in fighting thats going on   Angry
grow up or log off springs to mind . your not helping the hobby
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:14:38 AM by seeker » Logged

Gazza

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

i agree with a lot that as been said, its right so say that we can only blame ourselfs if metal detecting gets band.
1' if we know someone who nighthawks i think we should maybe tell them to stop.if not report them. In my own case if someone nicks my bike or car or my football it affects me and family and my fun and i'll do something about it and its  the same with my /Our hobby.
 so if your a nighthawker look out i am movin BACK TO WALES NEXT WEEK
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »

Just out of curiosity how do they do it ? I mean its pitch dark middle of the field and i pressume they would have headphones on. How would they find say a minim without struggling ? Not only that but imagine in the dark headphones on i would be tonning it. If you caught poaching (fishing) then the law has the power to take everything you have on you including your car and impound it . Plus a big fine, is the law to soft with nighthawkers?
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

Dunno how they do it to be honest. I struggle trying to find my tarhets in the broad daylight  Huh

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
kaister

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »

one of the problems seems to be lack of knowledge by the general public about what we actually do, I.e spending hours walking about and digging up ringpulls in muddy fields. The only contact they ever have with the hobby is the negative publicity from the media, ie nighthawks, The flip side of that is they think we are digging up hoards all the time and keeping it secret,,, i mean why else would we do it!

I have had people think im (not jokeing) looking for moles, trying to find underground water supplys, and digging for bones. Pretty much sums up the publics knowledge.....

the fact that its banned in many public places also says something to the public... it must be bad.

Vive the revolution!

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

It would be nice if we could educate the general public. I always chat to passers by and expalin/show what I've found as I'm sure most of us do. Al the Pasfinder put on a cracking display that prove to be very popular in Pontypridd. And Handyman Alun, recently gave a talk in Swansea which again went down a storm.

More of the above we need guys. I think its up to all of us to paint this Hobby in as positive light as possible, but I really think we need to take the 'fight' to the public instead of just bleating when we get bad press    - we need to be pro-active , rather than reactive.

kaister

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »

i would have to agree with you on that taff. but how to do it? thats he question.

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »

Well thats where  DW comes in. Its a gathering of mostly like minded people. We start thinking and come up with ideas.

kaister

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »

i had a idea last night, it may sound a bit silly, but would proberbly work. You will proberbly groan but here goes.

TV is desperate for cheap programs, hence all the reallity rubbish on at the moment due to too many channels and not enough talent.

someone with time, could contact one of the newer channels on freeview and offer to do a short series , "the life of a detectorist" or some other such name,
It could cover, machines, reasearch, the negative side of it(night hawks) and how it affects us. Follow a cuple of guys or a club round a muddy feild for hours and hours, and show Everything they dig up over a month, including all the rubbish(and show them recycling the lead) all the "Green" stuff, Fresh air, exerscise,  have interviews with the like of bill wyman. The treasue prossess, gaining permmision to get on land, they could go to a couple of club digs and rallys etc, etc. Electolosis, cleaning finds, preserving finds, collecting, reporting finds, following a item through the treasure prosses, FID, etc etc,
It would only need a small camera crew so would be extreamly cheap to produce. i bet the likes of BBC 15 would lap it up.
It would have to be well balenced
We dont want it to look to good though!!!

seeker

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »

i try to engage the general public when ever possible , any event that you think you could do a display of your finds , i find most ppol are more then willing to give you a platform to promote our hobby . the wi are one , Church events another,most villagers have a parish mag that you can wright an article for . most of the time its easyer to do as a club but we can all do our bit  Smiley as a spin off from doing any of these you can gain lots of land to search from land owners who you get to talk to , double bonus Grin Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal