Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting in Scotland  (Read 1879 times)
Laura McG
Rally attendee

« on: November 06, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

I have been reading the Treasure Act 1996 and discovered there is a tremendous difference between Scotland and England and Wales.

All I can suggest is that if anyone goes to Scotland detecting be warned, compltely different up there and different laws apply.

An example is that any coin pre 1707 must be recorded with the Treasure Trove Unit. Only 20 centuary coins and Victorian coins don't have to be recorded. If you do find a coin that has to be recorded and if it is returned to you it will also have a numbered certificate saying the Crown is not claiming it.

If something is claimed by the Crown you receive a report and photograph of your find. A panel will then assess your find and when they have decided what it is worth it if offered to museums who then have 14 days to decide if they want to buy it and accept the panels decision of the finders reward it should pay. Mostly everything is done within a year of recording your find.

So be warned. Different laws apply in Scotland and they are very strict when it comes to finds made by metal detecting, fieldwalking or simply finding an old coin or antique. If you don't have a certificate with your find nobody will buy it off you and it is illegal to sell one without a certificate.
Laura McG
Rally attendee

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »

Forgot to say.

Under Scottish Law it is a criminal offence to remove any coin or archaeological object from Scotland without a certificate.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 05:17:41 PM »

Looks fair and just in writing. Unfortunately absolutely impossible to enforce. The kind of people who wouldn't report an object aren't the types to worry if they have a certificate or not when it comes to selling it. No English or Welsh for that matter, nighthawkers have ever had a certificate. This seems the kind of woolly headed, paperwork driven exercise governments are renowned for.

The honest detectorists will go through the legal hoops and the shady characters won't.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

I'm not knocking the principles of the Scottish system. I bet it lacks a lot in implementation and end result though.
benny

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »

Going to Scotland for christmas as the in-laws live up there. Was gonna take the detector but now I'm having second thoughts.Or is that what the Scottish government are hoping for......
Laura McG
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »

Take your detector. You will find Scotland only want to record all finds to give true representation of Scotland's history.

They encourage metal detecting and this is why everything is so easy to do and they ensure things do not take forever. As you will discover they will not let museums delay matters and only give them 14 days to give a yeigh or neigh to decide if they want the find or not.

Take your detector. You will find the Scots very helpful.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »

yeah go for it Benny, you'll never know other wise,  just be updated with their laws

Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »

hi laura.
i have a brother who lives in scotland.
he.s a member of the scotland club as there is only 1 club.
he.s also a member or the r.a.r.e.club in the rhondda valleys.wales.
and he.s always found good hammered coins up there.
also some very nice artifacts.
but yes the law is different up there.
he lives in galashiells.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:22:46 PM »

The sooner everyone starts reporting their finds the better. Even the scatter of roman copper coins gives clues as to settlement and timelines. Never detected in Scotland though. Would love to give it a try.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal