Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buckle Time - Sunday 8th February 2009.  (Read 3307 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 08, 2009, 06:12:56 PM »

I met Geoff (Admin) in the glorious VOG today, as we needed to catch up before next weeks rally, and thought we would combine it with a trip to one of my sites.

Not the best day for finds, but certainly not the worst day by a long shot!     I started with a spectacle style buckle, probably late 1600's according to ross Whiteheads book with its bar still in tact. I have a thing for old buckles, so I was pretty happy. I followed this with a nice early horse boss.

Geoff then joined in with another buckle thats probably 1700ish and a 1938 sixpence. My turn again with another spectacle buckle (minus the bar) and probably what I class as my find of the day.

Its pretty crudely made in bronze and has fixing rivets to the back. It reminds me of the metallic, decorative piece at the end of a sword or dagger sheaf. It doesn't go all the way round though, so probably doesn't qualify as a chape. Any ideas anyone?

Time was against us as I had guests coming round for the rugby (well done Wales! Cheesy) and Sunday lunch, so we headed off to meet Altinkum to have a look at the land for next weeks Rally.

The land seems fine with a nice big ploughed field and plenty of local history - all sounds very promising. Its a bit of a tricky one to find, so Admin will be knocking some signs up. The proposed parking field may be an issue if the rain comes down much more. We also calculated how many cars we could safely park on the verges if need be. Its going to be tight, so where possible can people share cars. Don't forget its members only.

Altinkum is going to have a look at the fields later in the week, lets pray for a dry spell!

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »

nice finds Neil,  i was debating whether to go out,  but it didn't look good down that way from up here,  the rain / sleet came from there soon after.
Alan

KANE (DES)

RARE,FID

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:42:59 PM »

nice one NEILsome people get all the luck lol  DES
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »

Thanks for inviting me to your farm, Neil. It certainly was a morning full of buckles. Here's my contribution to the collection. As you say, probably 18th century. Shame I grazed it with my spade, I usually manage to avoid doing that. Your 'chape' certainly looks interesting. Perhaps the 'Doc' could give an opinion?

The land Altinkum has found for our rally certainly looks interesting with an old church and a manor house nearby. I hope to see lots of you there next week. It will be nice to put faces to the avatars...

Geoff
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »

nice buckles neil and geoff. Smiley
hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »

Nice buckles , I'm usually wrong but the bronze one has lots of fixing points on it, don't think it's a buckle , more likel y to be a mount of some kind. Looks like it's a good site anyway well done for getting out .
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »

Nice finds. Your mount may be a 17th/18th century furniture fitting Neil.
James

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:05:24 AM »

nice finds lads!

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal