Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep plodding- the sequel  (Read 2473 times)
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« on: October 25, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »

Went back to the same spot,( with Casa & melonhead - I think they've eat Aide- haven't seen him lately!!!!) for the third week running.  About 60 odd acres.

Kev insists we go to the top fields for a change - one did have tatoes on...and I was tattered in the mud, and the other had sheep..them two valley boys stayed up there a long time....worried about them!!! Wink

Anyway, just to keep the site informed and show that not every week is successful, here's my finds from the last two weeks...got them out of the car and washed them up Undecided

Plenty of grotty coppers, modern coins ,buttons, buckles etc...etc and a platinum earing with 3 large diamonds in a cluster of small diamonds...................... I wish!!!!!!!  probably from Claire's accessories
Two of the buttons were Regiment Kings Own IV, perhaps Jonola will give us a bit of info Huh

Anyway, nice views, good company.thats why the hobby is so enjoyable.
Phil...keep plodding
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »

Nice post Phil. Never say never and eventually the finds will turn up.

Regarding the ear ring, do you want me to test it with my diamond tester?

We can all be pleasantly suprised sometimes - mum did a house clearance a year ago and part of the clearance was some what looked like initially dirty large cubiczaconias stud ear rings - turned out to be two diamond studs  Shocked - each of 2 carat and set in platinum, dating to the early 1930's. They were absoultely stunning once mum had boiled them in bleach. Make sure you ventilate the room if anyone else does that - its not the healthiest practice in the World, but the results are fantastic.
Neil

You never know mate
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »

Hi Phil, With regards the military button. The Kings Own were a Northern English Infantry regt. The crown does not look to be a kings crown (1901-53) so it is either Victorian or from the 1950s. The picture is not clear to see. Is there a makers name on the back? The IV is there because they were originally numbered the 4th of Foot. I'd go for Victorian judging by the look of it.  Here is a pictur of the lads in the regiment taken in 1865. I like to put a bit of history behind the finds  Wink  If you can e mail me a hi res pic it would be great.

I loves the Military stuff
Beefy (GARETH)

WHERES DA BEEF

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »

HI FARMER (PHIL) NICE FINDS BUD WELL DONE AND KEEP YOUR FINDS COMING.................... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

Here is a Crimean War era uniform of the 4th Regiment of Foot. Proper British redcoat soldier!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:44:45 PM by Jonola (Jon) » Logged
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »

HERE YOU ARE PHIL

According to Gwen Squire's book, it is an officers button to the 4th Foot "King's Own Regiment" circa 1808. Please be careful when cleaning or you may ruin it.  Wink Very nice button.
PS: Confirmed in Parkyn also. So definitely 1808 !!!!

Nice buttons.
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 07:04:12 PM »

Thanks Jon!

If I remember, I'll bring them into work to show you....or the next time your available to come out with us.

ps...don't think you'll suffer with your hay fever now Wink

Phil
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »

Look forward to it Phil. The old hay fever is well and truly over! Lovely to find two 1808 buttons from an OFFICER no less. I'll see if I can find anyone who has the muster rolls for the regimental officers from this time and see if any lived locally for you. Worth a punt. Strange that the regiment was based in the North of England. Wonder how they found their way to South Wales? The Peninsular War was in this time frame.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:44:03 PM by Jonola (Jon) » Logged
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »

Nice find & interesting thread to read,thanks Phil & Jon.

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal