Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: minelab ex 2 or SE or maybe even an Extera 70  (Read 17245 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »

Yes same here, i also use conduct (as Tony does now)  so drop your threshold tone to 1 and as you are on deep pasture up your gain to 10.
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »

paul/lisa/geoff,thanks for that, its nice to know some one else have used it,i have only tried the expl 2 four times totally different  to the sovereign,its the advice and help on this site that really gives one the boost to keep at it,again thanks
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »

I know the feeling Viv, I moved over to the Etrac in  February after 12 years using sovereigns and I nearly sent it back, but after only a couple of months it all started to fit into place, As Paul/Lisa has said, download the emulator if you haven't already done so. It wont take the place of learning in the field but it gives you an idea of how the machine responds.
any problems just shout.
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »

thanks again geoff,i agree i was of the same mind, i think we were spoilt with the sovereign a bit but has you said i'll play with,on computers i'm a chalk and slate man, my son and grandchildren are the geeks,thanks
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »

Paul & Lisa, i use settings that Neil Jones alias slow an low gave me a few years back,

i dont have gain set at 10, its too noisy and there isnt any need, i use 7, occasionally on a very undecided and quiet low tone will increase gain to 8, never or very rare,would i go higher.

Though after chrissy when sun comes out will experiment on pasture if its quiet and lacking targets try 10, if you speak to des dun, he wouldnt agree with 10 either.

I find sens set at between 24 - 27 is adequate it'll still find targets at 14" + obviously dependant on size and quality of metal.

the emulator excels because you can practice changing settings / programmes without mucking up your own, or practice before you change your own  Grin
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »

I dont put my gain at 10 ?
outlaw

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »

apologies paul,

it was chef geoff he said it in his post  Grin

i assume you agree 10 gain is far to high ?
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 09:03:26 AM »

No probs lol yeah 10 is to high 7 or 8 is about right I would say
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 09:19:11 AM »

Hi Generally I run at 8 on the gain, but when on old pasture were finds are deep then I crank it up to 10 to give me a fighting chance on faint signals, other times I just try and run it hot. The beauty of the explorer range is that you can (and should) adapt it to each site you are on. If you can usually run sens at 24-27 then you are doing well and lucky with soil conditions as I can only get 22 over here.
Gain has little effect on performance other than making all signals sound the same, so it can't be to low or to high.
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »

Gain dosnt make everything sound the same  it  amplifies the signal so the fainter signals are easier to hear, but the higher you set the gain the more it amplifies the signal but you lose the feeling of depth with it. Other than that i agree with what you say about tweeking the machine to suit your own needs. Just wondering  Jeff have you used the SEF coil with your explorer? I got to be honest I found it much better than the slimline stock coil and I still get more with a Sef than the new pro coil.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »

Sorry that s what i meant, it bring all signals up to the same level so they sound the same in volume.
Yes I have the 12x15 SEF which does do the business on pasture and the beach, I have the Pro coil as standard. I did try the 10X12 SEF on the Etrac but couldn't see it made any difference and was a bit heavier.
outlaw

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »

I've not used the sef coils on my se pro, is there any need to change to sef ?

reading on other forums, generally most see the pro coil as suffice.

Sorry if i mis read your posts. Too much gain can introduce a lot more ground noise, at the end of the day  we all are different and our ears differ too, but you are right,

one has to decide what settings work for the ground you detect on, increase gain is an option as geoff has said on faint signals

This is the beauty of the explorer range, there are a lot of options to play with  Grin
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »

I have found that the 12x15 SEF will give you an extra few inches which I find handy on Pasture. but for all around detecting the Pro coil is the best standard coil I have used on any machine.
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »

great reading from everyone,again thats what makes this site the best, people talk about their different experiences and it gives new people to the hobby the help not to give up to quickly,i was looking at the 8x6 sef coil for pinpoint and weight
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »

In my opinion the SEF beats all the other coils hands down this of course is just my opinion. The reason behind it is as follows, When I first had the SE I went through 3 slimline coils with minelab but it still kept falsing this only happened in the smart screen even if i discd everything and lowered my sense down to 15. Though in iron mask even with the screen wide open and sense at 27 it didnt happen, starnge. Anyway in the end I bought a SEF coil  and I could run that at 32 most places and none of the probs, I have the new pro coil now and its good but still cant run it as high as the SEF (tried it out with a mate) his was stable at 30 pro only 27 which is enough I know but just saying why I prefer the SEF. If I had the money I would get one next week

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal