Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't spend the earth on a detector  (Read 3245 times)
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »

This weekend i was itching to use my new Sovereign GT , and whilst i was waiting for my mate to turn up , i turned it on and started to swing it about outside my caravan.

Unknown to me my son aged 9 , had picked up my CHEAP AND NASTY pinpointer and was walking around with it , he stopped, stuck it In the soft grass, he stood up and shouted at me,  i shouted back  " what do you think you are doing with that EXPENSIVE bit of kit, he came back, but but dad , its buzzing,  i when over to take a look , an lo and behold just below the surface was a shiny 10p piece , he was chuffed to bits , I WAS AMAZED.

So who wants to buy a minelab,,, i'm going to walk round with my pinpointer sticking it in the ground.....lol Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

..well done that young man ... now ask him to pick 6 numbers for saturday!!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »

How much does your son charge for a days detecting Mike ?

With the winter coming and all i could do with keeping warm in the car lol

Ragards
Phil
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:45 AM »

i can imagine one i my boys doing that, except they'd come back saying, " i stuck this in the grass over there, whats all this brown stuff on your pinpointer that smells like Sh*t?"

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 08:05:49 PM »

Many,Many years ago. I had a detector partner called Terry who was in his 70's and had a lot of land around the Brecon area but no car, so I used to take him out.

Terry, was from the Gurnos Estate in Methyr.I remember one story he told me where a bloke living not far from him bought a cheap detector to use. He went outside the front of his house to "test" it and on his first signal found a gold sovereign!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Huh Huh Huh

I've been detecting over 20 years and although I found gold, and much more, I've never found a gold coin!

There's a moral in the story somewhere.

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »

Whilst I'm thinking about it, I just had to laugh at this !!

I was talking to John Stewart (former Vice Chairperson of Cardiff Scan) a couple of years ago. He got talking to his young neighbour living next door about the hobby of metal detecting. Wanting to impress the young lad, John went inside his house and grabbed a few coins he had found on his last trip, and gave them to the lad.

The lad chuffed and went indoors to have a look at the stuff John had found, and gave the coins a clean.

The next day, the lad saw John again, and thanked him for the coins saying he was really pleased and that one of them was gold. John asked the lad to explain, which he did.

The lad then went and got the coins and showed John the coins which were now cleaned. It turned out that one HAD been a gold irish coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The moral of the story is:

a) Clean your finds
b) Don't throw anything away unless you are sure it's rubbish!

Needless to say John was gutted.

Being the gentleman that John is, he let the lad keep it!

If you don't believe it...and you know John, don't ask him about it as he'll be REALLY embarrased! Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

150aceboy
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »

Hey Mike, well done to you lad mate, sounds like he could show us all a thing or two, all the best Ace  Grin Grin Grin
kaister

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »

I had a similar one myself, out on a lazy day with a xterra 30 (the same one i just put up for sale) the missus was lying in the sun reading a book, and i got a mixed signal, dug down and found what i thought was a chrome dog chain. the one they have rounf there necks, put it in my rubbish pocket(still dont have a pouch, just very dirty pockets).
when i got home i did what i usesally do give the junk a quick sort and thro it in the bin. Then remembered something about always cleaning / checking your finds.

Turned out to be a silver albert watch chain, each link hall marked, with a makers mark form Benjamin smith of london 1807,
there were 3 t-spoons by him sold on ebay for over £6000.

i went back to the field and found the hole again after about a hour and got the rest of the bits out, theres a picture of it somewhere on the forum. it had being used as a key chain and i even found the rusty keys.

i learnt my lesson ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FINDS!!!

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.
Tinman (paul/Lisa)

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:44:45 PM »

Wow some good stories there. Reminds me of a few weeks ago, Lisa and I were sharing the detector when I had a signal  I dug the hole and lost the signal so left it , She said are you going to look for it to which I replied "junk" walked off while she started rooting around with that blydi probe only to pull out a roman bronze. I still havnt lived it down yet. In my defence i havnt been detecting for a yr

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal