Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a new Detector  (Read 24268 times)
waltonbasinman
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:49:30 AM »

Have been looking at the price of new detectors recently as I was keen to purchase a E Trac. Having read reviews and fellow users comments on different machines have still to go 100% for the E Trac. What is off interest is the varying cost of what is basically the same machine. The Explorer SE Pro is available new for as little as £799.00 with the accessories included but is offered by the more well known establishments for £1200 - £1300. How does the system work, why such a big difference. Would be interested to hear from the more business astute amongst us as to how this works. The SE Pro is probably the way to go at £799.00 as the performance is as near to the E Trac you can get and at £500.00 cheaper surely this is a bargain.
Gazza

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »

paul try looking on ebayUSA compare cost plus shipping  (my wife was in retail what sells best costs less and you sell for more doulbling
your profit
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »

You are right Gazza have just noticed I can get a new SE pro delivered to me from the states for under £700.00. Half the cost of buying from the UK. Spot on mate. Begs the question though why so expensive in the UK.
Gazza

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:13 AM »

retailed import duty plus min 75% profit and vat ,we used to had min of 100% as orderd by in mother company
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »

You are right Gazza have just noticed I can get a new SE pro delivered to me from the states for under £700.00. Half the cost of buying from the UK. Spot on mate. Begs the question though why so expensive in the UK.

While they are cheaper, as USA retailers order direct from Minelab USA, British retailers have to order from Joan Allen who put their profit on first. Remember you will have to pay VAT and import tax if ordering from the States.
Also some of the retailers in the US can't export Minelab's as it breaks their agency agreements.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:51:49 AM by Chef (Geoff) » Logged
Gazza

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »

i've ask the spanish guy who's bought his from the USA and its still cheaper inclueding import taxses and vat
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

import duty doesnt cost much as i have just bought 2 new detectors supposedly deep seeking tectors from China, thought i would give alternative manufacturers a go. paid £45 duty on top of cost.

People shouldnt be affraid of looking overseas to purchase detectors.

Like most things here in uk we pay over the top prices  Grin
kaister

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »

somebody told me that to buy the e-trac strait from the manufacture costs under £500, the rest is the dealers profit. proberbly worth haggling alot now you know how big the margins are.  Wink

I try to get hammerd at least once a week.
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:18 PM »

Although there are similarities between the SE and ET they are two different machines.

My advice is to go for the E Trac but wait 6 weeks.

The XP Deus is out mid November and sales in the Minelab range (and ET in particular) will take a big knock. Joan Allen (The UK importer/supplier) will reduce their prices to compete.
In fact, if you ring Joan Allen and tell them you have £1K cash and want an E Trac, with no extras or machine to part ex, they should do the deal!

Remember the E T originallt sold for £999 in the Uk before JA put their prices up to £1235 supposedly because of the pound dropping against the dollar. The pound has now rallied against the dollar but JA still want the increased price.

If JA won't drop to £1K, just leave you name/address and tel number and tell them to give you a ring if they change their mind. The phone will ring !!!

Don't waste your money on an SE when you can get the ET for a bit more.

The ET is a superb machine but there is a long learning curve to get to grips. Also, it is heavy with no cordless headphones.

I have the feeling that later in 2010 Minelab will bring out a new ET which will address these problems. By that time the XP Deus will be the machine all serious detectorists will want.

May be best to sit on the fence for a while.

mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »

RJM  you,ve got me puzzled by your last post Huh Huh how can you state the etrac is better than the se when you don,nt own or use either  Huh Huh then you keep mentioning that the XP Deus is to be the beginning of the end for some of the old favourites looks and preformance don,nt always go hand in hand anyone would swear it,s a ferrari it could turn out to be a bloody T FORD Grin Grin I will stand on the sideline and let all those with plenty of cash waste their money and keep mine for the bargains their getting rid of  ;)better to wait 6 to 12 months and then see what results emerge Wink Wink Grin Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
mole
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »

BUMP BUMP BUMP Grin Grin Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »

RJM  you,ve got me puzzled by your last post Huh Huh how can you state the etrac is better than the se when you don,nt own or use either  Huh Huh then you keep mentioning that the XP Deus is to be the beginning of the end for some of the old favourites looks and preformance don,nt always go hand in hand anyone would swear it,s a ferrari it could turn out to be a bloody T FORD Grin Grin I will stand on the sideline and let all those with plenty of cash waste their money and keep mine for the bargains their getting rid of  ;)better to wait 6 to 12 months and then see what results emerge Wink Wink Grin Grin

How do you know that I haven't owned, used or tried the SE or ET.

You condem me for presuming the XP Deus is going to be better than the ET. I did not !

I never mentioned that it was the beggining of the end for other machines. What I said was that there would be a rush for the XP Deus and that Minelab will want to compete, and to do so they will bring their prices down.

I also said that even now you can pick up a new ET for £1K, so it makes better sense to go for the ET if you can afford it.

I think you read too much into my post. I also said there was a learning curve with the ET as it is different to the SE.
If you don't believe me then ask Minelabs own expert, Dessie Dunne, who will confirm this.

I would also say that everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have heard users say they preferred their SE or Explorer 11.

I have used all the XP range and Minelabs. I have also had the XP Deus demonstrated to me.

I am very impressed with the Deus as I have been with their previous models. It offers two things that, at present the Minelabs do not offer: (Amongst other things)
a) Lightness
b) Cordless headphones

I hope this clarifies things. Smiley

mole
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »

Hello RJM Smiley  not a condemnation at all Wink more an observation on the subjectof the etrac and se  I may have erred on the wrong side of observation on your obvious enthusiasum for the Deus but not every so called advancement in detector technology is a step in the right direction  Sad I,ve owned many detectors like yourself and we have obviously got differant ideas when it comes to machines having used and owned a few minelabs and xps amongst others I won,nt pay the extra for an etrac  the se is not far behind in preformance and as far asthe Deus is concerned it,s basically a goldmaxx /gmaxmaxx with a couple of extra frequencys thorown in for good measure at a lot lower cost you can combine the adx250 goldmaxxpower or adx200 goldmaxx mk1 and get a not too disimilar preformance and while on the subject of desse dunn I,ve be told by people in the know he does,nt know a lot about the explorers etc , in fact he uses the factory preset programmes mr Brunn and mr HERITAGE are the ones who know what their talking about Wink I was,nt having a DIG at you personally excuse the pun But I,m  getting a bit annoyed  at the manufactures taking advantage of gulliable people with all their lastest Bull- - - - CLAIMS ( BEWARE SAME PARCEL DIFFERANT WRAPPING)  Wink  good luck  Smiley

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
hedgehog
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »

It's always good to be reminded that technology needs to take a quantum leap before a "new" detector hits the market. I think that may happen when the PI Nemesis hits the market (if it works) and then it may be worth investing , but as Mole says always wait until at least 12 months have passed by before taking a leap of faith.
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »

I would wait because there will be a small price war and I've been told from two U.S. sources that Minelab will try a spoiler to prevent sales loss. This could be a revamped detector or just a price drop. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Rayditich is pushing the new XP on just about every forum here and abroad but its one I'm going to avoid until way after the dust is settled. I've had nothing but problems with lithium ion batteries from melting my laptop to failing within a year with my Pure Dab radio and a few months with my Sony E reader. The one item I had that uses these batteries is my Olympus camera and its the only one you can swap the battery out yourself. All the others are return to dealer to have a replacement fitted. If the system is now so good why doesn't the warranty of the item cover the battery. Best you get is twelve months.
Sony (for the e reader) have suggested I don't use the USB system but buy a mains charger and use that instead.

As for Mole's "Bull" comment. Could not agree more. I've been trying out another Whites DF as the first produced nothing like the depths suggested in the U.S. and the second works to the same depth as the first (elastic tape measures ?). The Fisher75/T2 LTD's are an improvement but a few inches, not more, so whether it would be worth the loss on a trade in against a new version is doubtful.

Re the Nemesis, yet again the finished machine failed to turn up which is a repeat of what happened last year when it was supposed to be finally finished and we were going to be trying it out on various sites in North Wales. I still have hopes but I'm not going to worry or wait on it anymore.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal