Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin Cleaning Advice  (Read 4814 times)
150aceboy
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »

Hi folks, the coins i find on the beach are normally in a poor state Embarrassed due to corrosion. I was told to clean them in vinegar Huh, some came up clean Smiley, but i noticed on the pound coins the vinegar turned them a coppery colour Huh, whats the best way to clean your beach finds, thanks guys , Paul. Wink
detectordave

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »

When the coins have changed colour if you rub them gently with a brass brush they will come up good as new (brushes can be bought from any £1 shop) this works very well

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
150aceboy
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »

Thanks for the tip Dave, i'll pop down the £1 shop in the morning, cheers mate, Paul Wink
detectordave

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »

it works really well i have done it this way for years

IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED DO IT THE WAY THE WIFE TOLD YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE
cardiff bats (Paul)

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:28:05 PM »

i have seen some coin cleaning kits on sale on flea bay using electricity?Huh

Are these any good Huh or do they do more harm than good to the coin Huh

Civility costs nothing....Excellence even less
150aceboy
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »

Hi Cardiff bats, just made my own using an old transformer, found the instructions on the web.
Have tried it with modern coins, but care must be taken, if you leave them in to long, i found that this caused pitting to their surface.
If you do try it mate, keep checking coins every couple of minutes, cheers Ace Wink
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:26:33 AM »

You could try it out using a car battery. In any case you need two electrodes (+anode and  -cathode).
Your supposed to have a stainless steel rod for the anode but an old stainless bit of cutlery is just as good.
The cathode needs a clip or wire frame to hold the coin.

Use a glass or plastic container thats wide enough to keep anode and cathode well apart. If they touch and your using a mains device the fuse will blow.

Warm water in the container plus salt. Caustic soda or citric acid will speed things up.

Though you dare not turn your back as the process works make certain the room is well ventilated as the gases given off can start off asthma.

An alternative for beach coins is just pick up a second hand rock tumbler. Stick a handful of coins in with either grit/gravel or even just sand. Leave running for a few hours. Remove cleaned coins and let the rest carry on.
The advantage of sand is its cheap and gets finer as the coins tumble so the coins get clean and gentle polished.

With either system keep seperate metals apart as they cross contaminate each other.
150aceboy
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »

Cheers Brian, Good advice and info fella, will give this one a go mate, cheers Ace Wink
Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »

My GOD, don't use a car battery, the ampage is far too high, if you short the terminals you'll get a nasty burn or the battery can explode,
either butcher an old mobile phone charger< they output milliamperes or you can use a car battery charger (too much ampage for coins, o.k. if your using it in large iron objects).

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
150aceboy
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »

Thanks for that Salty m8, Ace Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »

I'm with Salty on that "don't use a car battery"!
But Brian has it in one a barrelling machine, I used to pop all by beach finds in it, leave for a couple of hours and hey presto spendable cash, don't use it on anything old (other than grots)
The new ultrasonic cleaners are good but once again keep an eye on them as they can strip your coin if left too long.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal