Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this x of lead??  (Read 12906 times)
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 08:01:42 AM »

Thanks for that Paul  and Borderfox,   i was beginging to think i was dreaming  lol,
  couldn't find them on the net,  iv'e even   written to a couple of people that may know more than me, but i haven't had any replies on it,
 Cheers now
  Alan

mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 08:04:01 AM »

Not being an expert on military tactics  Huh and various types of munitions  Huh I would hazard a guess that John pughes explaination is definately the most plausible  Wink for a start theres to much wastage for a musket ball moulding I,m sure the method would of been perfected to produce as little wastage as possible making it very efficent are we looking at a type of grape shot  for larger bore /calibre  weapons ???to cause maximum damage to cavalery etc Just got to add Phil  that museums don,nt know it all they like to give us the impression that they do though Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 08:36:54 AM »

I have thinner ones too for the smaller balls,  iv'e got about 4 different sizes,  they are always found where musket balls are found,
 i think the  moulds may have been made in 2 clay  peices, then fixed together and moulten lead poured into the top,  then break it open to get them out when it cools,

Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »

here's a couple of mine for now,  i have got a few more somewhere

hedgehog
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »

Nice post, would be interesting to know if they are just from coastal areas, never seen one before, are they found inland?
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »

Just a question, why have the balls on the end of them if they are cannon shot they would not need the ball shape on the end to do severe damage.

Unless of course some enterprising engineer adapted the moulds to include musket shots at the end. to kill two birds in one stone, once cast the ball shapes on the ends could then be cut off and used .....two jobs in one cast.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:07:19 AM by Tafflaff (Rob) » Logged

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »

Ian, Just an Idea here. But I found a Naval Button on the same farm if you remember. Training exercises maybe?

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 12:33:34 PM »

Interesting Topic Cadzy & Eee ! Can`t wait now for a positive I`D.  Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »

I can let you know where you can find loads of the larger balls ( for the  Brown Bess, Circa, 1771 ish, Neopolenic.period) and spurs, in the spring maybe Ian if you want,

Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 07:23:10 AM »

O.k   see you at the meeting Ian,  i don't want to make it too public as i want to go back myself sometime,  i found some pre-dec silver there too,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:25:52 AM by Al-Thepastfinder ( Alan ) » Logged

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »

Heres a few of mine - majority of which were found well away from the coast.

The one site I had three off did have a real smattering of musket balls there as well.

One of them the slightly fatter one came from land around Raglan castle and we all know how much action was seen there.

I am going with the musket ball theory and that the cross was fired somehow after.

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »

Thats what I was leaning towards eventually Neil , though my only problem with that is , every one of those crosses posted up has no damage to them. Surely we'd be seeing some major flattening of at least one of the spikes.......but there again , look how many unflattened musket balls we find  Huh

Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

Some nice ones there too Neil,  the larger ones from 1771 ish and the slightly smaller ones from  the English Ciil war period,     1648 ish mate,

yeah its not often that you'll find them damaged,

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »

Nice to be able to put dates to them Al , I personally think this whole Lead cross debate is fascinating, nice to see the different ideas out there.  Wink

borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »

hi, when i said cromwells ships attacked a fort, i meant cromwells army where on board in numbers they sailed on to the river shannon to attack limerick i am not linking these musket ball holders to the navy or the sea, believe it or not, arm,y s did travel in boats remember dd  Huh the area they passed just past tralee, was renowned for wreckers,  on the beach at ballybunnion , their was a wreck full of 200year old wine bottles, they took a jcb down by night and dug up many hundreds, he also dived to one wreck, and found loads of pewter plates a great man and friend who we lost this time last year regards john

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal