Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: coin cleaning  (Read 10218 times)
Robot Rob

BRECON MDC, R.A.R.E

« on: February 01, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

Hi all,
What do you use and How do you clean your coin finds?
I have only found modern coins but i still would like to clean them up.
thanks
ROB....
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »

Hey Rob

It depends on the coin and everyonmes different. For example:

With a silver milled coin - I personally like to wash it and polish it, which I know devalues it [johnny and Mark will be going nuts at this point], but I personally like the way it looks and its not about money.

Hammered silver or denarii - sprinkled warm water {not submersed) and tooth brush only and gently at that.

Coppers Vic/Georgian etc - depending on how old they are and what they are. If I want to keep them in good nick - let them dry after finding. Hard toothbrush and a toothpick to tidy up - seems to work for me. I know a few mates who use the electrolisis system and get good result {Jaydogg explain!}.

Modern coinage - I just give it a brush and drop it off to the bank in bagged coins - job done!

I am sure other people have ideas - Don't listen to Borderfox's Cilit Bang idea though! Wink Grin

Hope that helps and welcome to the site

Neil
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:20:32 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Robot Rob

BRECON MDC, R.A.R.E

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »

Modern coinage - I just give it a brush and drop it off to the bank in bagged coins - job done!
looks like i will take them to the bank then Cheesy, more savings for the lad.
And what about other artifacts and metals?
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »

Welcome to the site, Robert. With all due respect to Neil, myself and quite a few other detectorists favour the 'spit and silver paper' method of cleaning hammered coins. This consists of rubbing the coin with some silverpaper lubricated with saliva. This produces a chemical reaction which produces a bad egg smell and results in the higher points on the coin being polished whilst the lower areas are darkened.

Coin collectors would probably be pretty horrified by this and I can't say that the value of the coin wouldn't be reduced but as Neil says money isn't everything.

It's interesting to note that coin collectors' attitude to cleaning coins is completely different to that of museums. Whereas collectors like to retain the 'patina' on a coin and clean it as little as possible, you will find most coins displayed in museums have been cleaned to the point that they look as though they've just been minted.

Geoff
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »

Hiya Robert
To be quite honest with you I normally take any modern coins I find down to the Coinmart machine at Azdas & that tends to clean them quite nicely & they even tend to turn into notes!  Wink

As for the coins I find on the beaches in Devon they tend to end up in the "Pay and Display" machine at Bigbury Bay.

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »

hi robert,  i can only tell you not to do, dont use cillett bang on old coins and while waiting  for it to work, talk to your neibour for twenty minutes,my best ever  roman serstursus, was ruined when i took it  out Undecided dont be tempted to straighten a pin on a roman fibula,  i snapped   the fibula in half trying to straighting it,  last year,  had two sat the one pin was in place, the other a very large fibula had the pin out of line, i thought yes i can bend this to the catchplate,  going well i thought, getting there, next thing crack broke the tip of Shocked will i ever learn  Cry good tip on ancient bronze get as much dirt of as poss. and then , imerse in olive oil, dry with soft tissueno time limit ten minutes to ten hours gives a great patina  regards john
jaydogg
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »

Polishing milled or hammered silver..ugh (shudder)! Wink  Yes Neil, I do prefer patinas for that authentic been used throughout the ages feel (nothing to do with money), be it on copper alloy or silver.  I only use electrolisis cleaning on copper alloy coins where the detail is obscured.  This George II was one of the better results of using electrolisis cleaning. 
scrotalbells
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:11 AM »

Anything with a green patina should be cleaned as soon and as gently as possible,[the green bit is a soft thin skin and is the early stages off "Bronze desease"]. I usually carry a small round ladies eye makeup brush [very small version of a blusherbrush, ask yer missus/girlfriend] it has hundreds of fine bristles and is very gentle,wrap a small elastic band around it about halfway up[tightly] and you have the perfect tool! Clean  asap if you cant find a puddle use spit and brush the mud along to the back of your hand [wet wipe will take care of that afterwards] once your satisfied pop it into its own little snap bag and job done! IMO even very worn soft toothbrushes are to harsh! Ian.                           
zorro
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »

best method for silver hammered is spit 'n 'foil. as mentioned above . however when cleaning no need to press heavily on coin the slightest of pressure, just enough to keep foil in contact with coin then dab now dirty spittal off with kitchen roll and restart process.
i prefer to see roman with a patina (just my preference)
earlier milled George's etc look nice with the slightest rub of clear shoe polish to finish.
please bare in mind that any cleaning can seriously diminish the value of the coin. so if in doubt make sure to check the value of the coin with a reference book such as Spinks first.
hope this helps somewhat
altinkum

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »

give em a good rub with a wire brush or sandpaper to clean the crud off then use a bit of jif cooker cleaner to shine them up. work's every time  mike

explorers, my arse
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:33:29 PM »

i'd never have thought of that method mike.....i'll give it go !....byron... Wink

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:41:01 PM »

Thanks for the tip Mike my bronze Romans look at good as they did 2.000 odd years ago all clean and tidy!

Cheers Mate  Tongue
Jonola (Jon)
Superhero Member

Quattro User

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 06:13:22 PM »

I've heard that olive oil can break down into acids that erode your coins. Don't know how true that is.
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

hi there, in  all coin books  it says that you should not clean coins, at best get an old tooth brush "soft one" a bit of warm soapy water and clean it that way  mick

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »

CILLIT BANG! and the coin is gone Embarrassed Cheesy

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal