Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minelab Sovereign xs 2a pro , would you buy one?  (Read 13061 times)
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« on: October 12, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »

Advice on minelab sovereign  xs 2a pro , would you buy one second hand , and any tips

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
willow tree

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »

hi i still use one great machine i have made some tidy finds with it goes down pretty deep ...drawback it s bit on the heavy side after a few hours detecting it feels like your arm is gonna fall off  Wink
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »

can you still get the waist packs , and would you recomend it

sandpiper

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »

Hi
I've been using the sov xs2 pro since 1999- Its a great machine for beaches and pasture.IT is very heavy and feels unballanced but its no problem when hipmounted .Be prepared to dig deep on beaches because it excels there.  On the beaches I use it in descriminate mode  with the  discrim control and the notch at zero,volume at almost full (watch out for your ears)and sensitivity at about 9 o clock  to 12 0 clock position (depending on beach)with a low threshhold hum.Dig any signal no matter how poor sounding  so long as theres no threshhold null. Do the minelab wiggle over a very narrow deep signals and listen for the singing sound of the signal and the threshold together -you'll get great depths.To start off as a novice with the machine set the sensitivity at 12 o clock and gradually increase it as you get use to the machine.You can use it in auto but you will loose depth.The machine cant be swung too quicky either its best to go slow and listen to the  signal and the threshold.It goes even deeper in all metal but I find it slows me up too much.To hipmount it just buy the detector cover (walborn i think )it has a belt slot in the back.For extreme weather and diving the excallibur is the same machine but fully waterproofed but you will need a special hipmount kit for it. hope this helps.. peter

you have to believe it to achieve it !!
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »

A very definite YES, I have been using Sov's for about 18 years and in my opinion and many others the XS 2A was the best model there was. I have had the GT but preferred the Elite, but out of them all the XS2 was the best. Yes all the accessories are still available.
Geoff
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »

Yes i shall agree with everyone else here, sov a good alround detector wihout the
gimmicks !

Need arms like banacle bill though  Grin to detect all day  Grin
beachboy (viv)

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »

i use a sovereign, i agree with everyone on the weight,but find it a lot better with the straight shaft,it is exellent.(viv)
zorro
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »

fantastic machine...there is a reason these machines STILL command prices over £250. get yourself a bungee harness (as little as £10 on ebay) that does away with the weight problem and means you dont need to put detector down on wet sand whilst digging, and you will dig,,,,DEEP.
I personally prefer the harness to hip mounting it, cables break down eventualy with hip mount.
agree with beachboy get a straight shaft for it if you can, alternatively use an extension to raise box slightly higher up shaft to help with balance (beachboy made mine and it helped a lot until i got the harness).
the only problem ive ever heard re: the sovereigns is about the weight issue....get a harness- sorted!
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »

I once owned a sovereign xs2a unbeatable on wet sand  Shocked but when it came to the dry sand especially when hitting a busy patch things could get very confusing the machine due to it,s very high Iron mask setting and fairly slow response was losing more than it should  Sad it good example of this is one day I used it inland on a forestry footpath without much luck  Huh went down the same footpath a couple of weeks later with my laser powermax11 and starting finding bits and bobs missed by the sovereign including some fairly large lumps of brass have since had a quattro which by you could make a cup of coffee while waiting for it to recover from a signal at present using an explorer 11 a bit faster and the ability to adjust the Iron mask will be going for something faster in the near future Wink the sovreign is the best machine I,ve used on wet sand but I would,nt use it inland especially on busy sites Wink

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
1morecoin
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »

the Sovereign xs2 a pro was my first machine, i found the Monknash Hoard with it, allways regreted selling it, probably the best allround machine on the market, i am thinking of getting a Sovereign Elite for beach and pasture use.

Steve. 
Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »

Personally I use a hip mount and a bungee with mine and it was the best thing I ever did.

As for the machine itself, probably the best all round machine money can buy, especially second hand and they hold their price well.

As for depth... it beats almost every other detector on sand and on land.
For best results, swing low and swing slow and be prepared to dig deep.

I use "discrim" for detecting and "all metal" for pinpointing. I also use a meter on mine.

Only trouble with the detector as everyone has mentioned is it's weight compared to others but with a harness or hip mount that problem is removed.

I have other detectors, a whites and a lazer, but I always revert to my trusty minelab sovereign xs2a ... undoubtably one of the best detecors ever made as anyone who has owned one will tell you.

Every Day is a Lovely Day
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »

Thanks for the advice all, got myself  a Sovereign Gt , i'm well impressed with it , took it for a short field test today , and uncovered 5x hapennies that i missed with the Garrret and the Hawkeye .
I can't wait to use it in anger now

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »

well done on getting out Mike.

glad u had an incentive, to help the recovery process!!

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »

Only half hour though, had to come home then,,,,lol

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »

My good friend and long standing detecting partner Mark uses one and some of his finds have been outstanding! He had a Vicky half sovereign at the 2 Day DW rally using it.

Having seen his finds I can't speak highly enough of it. Makes funny noises though and hates my Exploder II!

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal