Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: DetectingWales.com - Rally Number Eleven - Caerleon. The Return.  (Read 13670 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 04, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »

Today we returned to the location where we had held only our second ever Rally, on a lovely sprawling farm in Caerleon. We had a mixture of pasture and stubble available to us, and as usual the sun was shining on the righteous.

We had the normal get together and it was nice to see quite a few new faces with us. A special mention to Mr and Mrs Handyman who had travelled all the way down from Northampton. Also another chap who had made the trip from Wolverhampton. Nice to meet you guys and I hope you all had safe journeys home and enjoyed your day out.

Onto the Rally finds and I can report a shock discovery for one of our long standing members! This person has attended every Detecting Wales rally to date and never found a hammered coin on any of them! Despite having seen and photographed what must be going on for a hundred! So, you can imagine my surprise when my fourth signal of the today produced a very battered and holed hammy!  Grin But a hammy is a hammy no matter the condition in my book! Interesting hole in the middle of it - I guess its for threading string through and wearing it on your neck or wrist to stop losing them. Funny they never tried that with Cartwheel Pennies!

The next find I heard of - {well you could hardly not hear him the way he was yelling!}
was Rob with a Roman bronze coin - not sure how much detail is left - well done Rob.

Not long after I bumped into Dennis Long {see I got it right mate!} who had found a gold ring with diamonds going round the outside. A lovely little find anyone would be happy to make! We chatted about the fact that part of the hallmark has been holed, which made me think it had started life as a gold band and had the diamonds added at a later date. Legally an assayer has to produce clear and ledgible marks. Interesting find. Thats twice we have been to this farm and twice gold rings have turned up.

Heading back to the car I found Kiwi Terry was also having a good day, having found his 3rd hammered coin to date in the shape of a Lizzy - we think halfpenny.

Shortly after a new member called Iggle Piggle came through the gate with another hammered coin of a slightly older date.

Unfortunately that was it for me as I had to head home due to husband duties. Not sure what else was found as I have been busy until now. How did you all do?

Came home to a Rock Cake on my Spare Wheel - cheers Stig - lovely gesture mate and vert tasty. Send my thanks to Mrs Stig!

Until next time.
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »

More

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:34:15 PM »

A BIG HAMMERED!

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »

I know of a Cut half hammered come up also a cracking Groat , going to be put on later (A lady finder ..and her first hammered well done!) another couple of grots. Didnt hear of much milled silver come up this time though....Anyone have any?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »

Just to add to Neil's report: After he left a smattering of other hammies turned up including a lovely groat found by one of our lady members - I'm afraid I don't know her site name but she's part of the Llanelli 'gang'. It was her first ever hammered! As everyone insisted on telling her, it can only go downhill from here... Grin

Geoff
Terra (Mike)

Teknetics G2 DW and FID

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »

Having had a close look at the ring through a magnifying glass i conclude that due to the rough and uneven edge on oneside this is in fact half of a wedding band cut through the middle then altered with added diamonds and design , makes it a more interesting find, nice find well done... Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:46:54 PM by CRAZY (mike) » Logged

BETTER THE HUNTER THAN THE HUNTED
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »

Thanks for the update Neil !  Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »

WELL DONE NEIL ON ANOTHER GREAT WRITE UP  AND TO ALL THAT FOUND THE GOODIES TODAY  Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
viking

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »

who found that big hammer            d Grin Grin nice coins and that ring well done all Wink
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »

good to meet you at long last Neil. thx 4 making us both so welcome.

excellent report and well done on finding the hammy. it's the 1st of many.

we had a great trip home [home by 6!!] -- despite being 'chased' by the police -- [well they were on their way to an incident ignoring everyone who was  doing 80+]

still, a great day out, and excellent weather as well. keep up the excellent work.

mr and mrs h

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:30:24 PM »

Great report and pics Neil. I think your hammie is impossible to ID, at least from a picture. Terry's is a Lizzie penny, Second issue, 1560-61, mintmark cross and crosslets. Igglepiggle's looks like an Edward IV London mint halfpenny.
onehorseAl( Al)

FID,Explorer !! & Deus User

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »

Hi Guys,Thanks for a lovely day,great company and super weather again!I am attaching a foto of Earth24's(Linda) Groat,her firsst ever hammy! Smiley Smiley
Hope to see you all again soon.By the way she is one of the Pembroke lot! Wink Wink
Al Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:05:44 PM by onehorseAl( Al) » Logged

Let the world go away 'cos I'm Bleeping today.
farmer(phil)

You never see a farmer on a bike!

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 08:48:57 PM »

Great report again Neil.

Couldn't make it ,wasn't sure when I was back...really enjoyed the las LLantwit rally

Again the sun shone on the righteous Huh

Well done everyone on their finds!

Nice first hammy Linda, nice definition ....well done..first of many. Wink

Farmer Phil   Cool
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

WELL DONE LINDA  AND CONGRATULATIONS ON THE FIRST HAMMIE ,,,, CRACKING LOOKING GROAT  THERE ..... STILL AWAITING MY FIRST    Grin Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »

sounds like it was a great day with plenty of nice finds...well done everyone !.... Grin...byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal