Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants and the saxon hoard his veiws  (Read 7407 times)
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »

Hi Al

" lot of these arquies believe that all thats in the soil belongs to them"

i have several colleagues doing various Archy courses at uni and they all report that the lecturers promote the negative aspect of metal detecting and how future  archies should not entertain working with these 'treasure hunters'.

it may be worth trying to get a group of like minded people to visit such universities and deliver a session on the alternative view, of how detectorists can actually enhance understanding of sites.

our local archy is now asking us to hand in all pieces of worked lead found on known roman sites, for his recording purposes [it will be returned]. in due course he will be asking us for other items [which we have recorded with PAS]. 

there are some brave new archies out there who will seek out our expertise and advice, but we still have to overcome their inherent suspicion of our motives for the hobby.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »

this site is a superb report on who did what, when, timescale etc. well worth a read

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/team/

happy hunting

outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »

We all should realise our responsibiliies  Grin

If you start to detect serious gold, you should stop imediately and contact the nearest flo,

You are supposed to get a bigger payout if the arkies take over !

All this love hate bickering between  tector and arkies across all forums doesnt
do anyone any favours.

There are faults on both sides, its good news that at least in some areas of uk the arkies are working with detectorists, and that will help towards maintaining a future for the hobby.

I for one keep in touch with a museum and submit finds approx every 2-months. as i know other clubs do.

What got me about most of the media response to this unique find, the media did not stress its rarity, for the the majority its buttons and buckles and an occasional silver groat, which is far from boring. Nor did they stress the mportance of gaining permission.

There is a u.tube video out that portrays the arkies digging this gold in a very slapstick fashion, which is an example of media crass that will damage both sides
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »

i have several colleagues doing various Archy courses at uni and they all report that the lecturers promote the negative aspect of metal detecting and how future  archies should not entertain working with these 'treasure hunters'.

Interesting statement that H.M so basically student archaes are having this negativity instilled into them from the beginning, and are not being allowed to derive their own conclusions on the subject of metal detecting.

What do you think is the way forward? We do seem to be up against it dont we?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »

in some uni's the lecturing staff have been there for 30yrs or more and therefore their perception hasn't changed over the time. in other uni's  lecturers are embracing the partnership working and encouraging their students to consider using local expertise to assist their research projects.

when i talk to archy students on our local digs, they are all amazed how detectorists, volunteers and pd staff work together in harmony to help the research projects. often commenting on 'the negative portrayal of detectorists'. i can fully understand this perception as in some areas of the uk, nighthawking is rife [e.g.read comments on wantage rally!].

however, there is a balance to be had. our club, is trusted to go out and find sites, record the finds and then make sure the archy is informed  of discoveries, [after PAS].
the way fwd i'm happy to debate - will give it some thought over nxt few days.

DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »

YES A TOTALLY AGREE  AL   THE ARCHYS SHOULD BE THANKING US ,,,, AFTER ALL  ,,, IF IT WASENT FOR  US  THEY WIULD NOT HAVE HALF THE SITES THEY HAVE  ,,,, EXAMPLE IS THE HOARD  OF GOLD ,,,, IF IT WERE NOT FOR A DETECTORIST FINDING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE ,,, IT  WOULD STILL BE THERE IN THE DIRT ,,,, I THINK THE ARCHYS  SEEM TO THINK WE ARE ALL THEIVING NIGHTHAWKERS  AND  AS SUCH ,,,,, TAR EVERYONE WITH THE SAME BRUSH ,,,,, THEY DONT SEEM TO GRASP THE POINT THAT    A VAST MAJORITY OF FINDS ARE HANDED IN FOR THEM TO OBSERVE AND THAT THERE ARE ONLY A HANDFULL OF NIGHTHAWKERS THAT SPOIL THE GOOD NAME  FOR THE REST OF US   Angry Angry

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
robson (chris)

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »

i think its unfair for them to teach these newbie arkis this .i think the only way past this and to change there opinion is to invite them along to a rally to show them that all  members of dw are not just after whats there but the history to and maybe get them involved in some id ing process
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 06:53:23 AM »

yeah i'm with you Digga boy,  there are the bad eggs in every hobby and job ect,  its a darn pitty weve all got to be tared with the same brush  by the few perhaps old school arquies  that won't change their views with the times, and appreciate what the rest of us do for them,   free of charge too,
  dam,  all  that gold could have been cut to shreds soon by the plough or other machinary mate.
 and to teach the young upcoming arkies that we are bad and have nothing to do with us is realy realy bad too,
Alan

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal