Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: paul the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants and the saxon hoard his veiws  (Read 7254 times)
romano-brit

« on: September 26, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

eveyone no's that he hates us all big time and heres what he had to say about the hoard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://paul-the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants.blogspot.com/2009/09/huge-anglo-saxon-gold-hoard-found.html

2011/2012 Finds

Roman silver: 2/0
Hammies: 7/1
Milled silver: 17/0
Gold artifacts: 1/0
Gold coins: 0/0
hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

Not even gonna read it RB, he does it for fun.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »

Its like this, if he was middle of the road and had no extreme views, then no one would read his blog. He knows his extreme views attract attention so he keeps providing his views.

Ever saw the simpsons halloween episode that had all the advertising boards come alive and terrorise the community of Springfield. The town then discovered if they actually  ignored the 'monsters' they would cease to exist.....well there you go, Ignore Master the vexatious blogger with incredibly itchy underpants and he'll soon disappear.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »

the one aspect of all this that concerns me, is the 5 day time lag before it was reported to the PAS. i would have thought that any reputable detectorist, would have logged the spot, and notified the authority on day 1 once the artefact had come out.
one must seriously question the lack of action over the  5 day period.

however, what is done is done. the find has been recovered, recorded and researched. it is a magnificent find. what i find very upsetting is the amount of emphasis placed on its financial value, by the press and detectorists alike.

this sends out a very irresponsible message - - that we are in this hobby to rape the land  and make money out of it. i would hope that no one on DW actually sells their stuff on fleabay or suchlike websites.

i would hope that the threads such as 'guess the value' etc, are removed in due course.

the true value of the finds and artefacts is in the research as to what the finds are, and who they belong to, and of course of what on earth was going on in that area. now that is the true value of the find

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »

Unfortunately Alan, with such a huge media interest in this find and associated speculation of the valuation, a discussion about its value would always crop up in the detecting forums. Is it a bad thing that the value is being discussed, no I dont think it is. Having artifacts that are deemed as treasure, valued is an integral part of the Treasure law of this land. We cannot avoid this law and as such should not avoid speculating about  potential value of finds.

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »

hi guys

i really do think the handling of the press questions has been badly thought out.no mention should have been made of the location, or finder. and any question as to financial value should have been deflected to 'lets wait for the valuation committe decision'

i personally feel that trying to place financial value on a find that has a greater archaeological importance actually devalues the role of detectorists. it gives off the impression that we are only in the hobby for the money.

but the press have their own agenda. they only ever report the 2 extremes of detectiong - -hordes or unexploded bombs. nothing in between rarely gets national coverage. hence the biased public perception that its an easy route to buy a detector, go on land and find a horde.

this 'belief' increases the possibility of nighthawks - and further irresponsible reporting on our hobby

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »

Yip If you're a non detectorist you'd be of the opinion that every detectorists weekend involves being blown through the air by a bomb whilsts hanging onto several gold hoards wearing a ski mask  Wink

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »

hi millsy -- thanks for your input. i hope more and more newcomers actually realise their responsibilities and how to report the finds.

it really is not a case of 'finders keepers' - the landowner has given you permission to search the land, but did he/she actually give permission to keep the finds?

rob -- there must be a lot of detectorists flying high, !!

hedgehog
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »

For goodness sake Alan, get off your high horse and take a chill pill.
No damage was done by the bloke in taking 5 days to report it , you have 2 weeks anyway.
The guess the value is for fun and nothing more.
If you found it would you donate it to the nation knowing that it is high value?
Without that detectorist it may never have been found, chewed up by the plough, who knows!
Whether it was 5 days or 5 hours it doesn't make any difference, the arkies got in there and had their day and their fun.
Archaeologists don't do anything for nothing , they are paid, detectorists spend out millions of pounds a year and get nothing back other than the pleasure of the hobby. Maybe you haven't thought about all the time and money that will be ploughed in to people world wide sponsored by governments. Archaeologists will make money out of it too!
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

THE GUY STAYED 5 SAYS BEFORE HE DECLAIRED IT Huh   I THINK I WOULD OF DONE THE SAME THO ,,, HOW LONG DO YOU ACTUALLY GET TO DECLAIRE A FIND  Huh?   I THOUGHT IT WAS 14 DAYS Huh   IM PROB  WRONG THO ,,,, JUST  SAYING  IF IT IS   14 DAYS   HE HASENT ACTUALLY BROKE THE LAW ,,,, OR  HAS HE   HuhHuh

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »

hi hedgehog

thx for your comment -- interesting reaction there. the real issue is realising from the 1st few artefacts that it was not an isolated find. after day 2 of finds, that should have sent out alarm bells that there was something special going on, and alerted the finder to their actual responsibilities.

however, what is done is done. my key points are in paras 2, 3 and 5 of my first post.

cheers

alan

hedgehog
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »

And my point includes  paragraph 4 of your first post so you will get an interesting reaction when you criticise other's posts.
It is an interesting find, the fact that it was close to the surface would suggest that it was never buried, whatever the archaeologists come up with I think I can pre-empt without even seeing the site.
The fact there is so much there and nobody returned to pick it up leads it in a certain direction. They are the spoils of battle, someone may have taken the lot, hid it quickly didn't have time to bury it , they never returned for it, that would suggest they were caught, don't own up they die, own up they die! So it has lain there gradually covered by vegetation until that guy walked over it. Great news for detecting, great news for archaeology.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 07:21:10 AM »

hi hedgehog.

the beauty of discussion forums is that everyone holds similar but slightly different points of view. Discussion and debate can only enhance the quality of understanding, giving us all an opportunity to think about our own views.

para 4,  is a view that i personally hold. The site mods obviously hold a different view as your thread still stands. I made that comment for others who read this discussion, to think about the wider implications and develop their own position, in due course.

from the rest of your post, i agree with your comments to a point, as there is a fair degree of sound and astute speculation. [as are most archaeological reports!].

happy hunting,

Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 07:40:13 AM »

As was said earlier,"legally" the finder has 14days to report so has broken No laws & had 5 "once in a lifetime" days detecting! Get on  Grin & good luck to him  Wink

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »

well if it was me i would have reported it from day one, but thats me though,whats that guy going on about, you have 14 days to report it after all, and at least he DID.
he didn't take everything from the ground as he said either, a lot was still there for them to excavate themselves,   http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/24/staffordshire-anglo-saxon-gold-find
a lot of these arquies believe that all thats in the soil belongs to them and they just hate us comming along and finding it, stepping on their toes, doing them out of the glory.
 as what was said, a lot of this stuff would never have been found if it wasn't for us, denying them the chance to see it and work on it in their lifetime, they should be thanking us,
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:53:43 AM by Al,Thepastfinder ( Alan ) » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal