Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: hand probes  (Read 7213 times)
zorro
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »

at the WW rally the weekend i saw a lot of people buying the garrett hand probe (rally price £80). the Regton fella told me its the best on the market and Regton have already sold over 4000 units. it has an "in air test " of over 1 inch.
Well take a look at this baby

the Detectorpro pistol probe pulse pinpointer.....ok ok its a bit of a mouthfull ( its american as you've guessed ) but it does have an "in air test " of over 5 inches.
for sale on amazon and ebay for $170 ( £105). and as long as the youtube video isnt staged seems a far better product.
the guy has made a few youtube videos comparing other probes and it seems  to beat the lot!
anyone know or have heard of it before?
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 07:26:05 AM »

it doesnt take much to beat the whites probe.
They dont seem to last very long, before becoming eratic.

My point about the utube vid, he didnt use his explorer other than to locate a target, relied on the probe too much, it could have been rubbish.

or is there different tones for different metals on this new Garret probe ?

I've just come back from 2wks hols and the pro coil on se worked fine even on wet sand with tide coming in ( 6" arounf feet), didnt need a probe.

I
zorro
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »

i think he did use the explorer to identify it as a good target. my point about the probe was its depth of detection. been looking at a few websites in the US and it seems to do "what it says on the tin". i was just wandering if anyone here had heard of the make or if they stocked in the UK. will call JA's and Regton to find out.
zorro
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »

well struck out there! Joan Allen don't sell it, never heard of it even. and Nigel from Regton  doesn't know of any UK company that imports the probe........theres a nice little hole in the market for someone.
what about DW being the only uk sellers?
might make a few bob or two  Roll Eyes
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »

Hi Kevin, will be down your way today camping at Oxwich for a few days as the rain seems to be dropping off at last.

Anyway I was sent one of these to test when they came out and they do work as suggested but as is the norm its what they don't tell you thats important.

My example air tested to four inches on a silver Joey whichis pretty good on that size of coin. On the debit side the more power you put out the tip of the probe the more leaks sideways along the length of the pointer.
The need for two PP3 batteries means the handle is a little wide and not as comfortable as say the Garrett. I don't really like it looking like a gun even though it would be a small one !
Unless they are on a mark two version you didn't have the vibrate mode or gradiant approach audio of the Garrett. The only real plus apart from the extra depth, that I don't feel you really need, is that it can be run silently so should be the unit of choice for the nighthawks over the rather loud Garrett.
The Garrett is a little loud but you can undo the screw in the battery department, push the side switch in and withdraw the "works", pop a bit of tape over the tiny speaker and reassemble and its a lot better.

The other big drawback is that if you have a multifrequency machine you end up doing a lot of fiddling to reduce the interference from the detector that the probe is picking up. The same would apply if your trying to use a pulse machine. Vibra probes that are pulse based suffer the same problems so its not unique to the Pistol Probe.
outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »

what  other probes are available ?

There are occasions when trying to find small targets in gravel/sand etc or holes dug and out of range due to shape of holes.

i saw one proble thats connected through the explorers anybody seen or used those ?
robson (chris)

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »

as i am quite new to detecting i havent used one of these or seen any one with them is it worth getting one?
Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

Pistol probes ...

on offer on ebay "international sellers" £103.80 + £19.85 Postage

Remember that if you buy from USA or any non-eu country you will have to pay Import duty + VAT + handling charges on top of the price  ... even if sent as a gift because the price exceeds the duty free and VAT free allowances for a gift.

So the probable cost of this from the USA would be around region of £148.00 delivered.

Only items not for resale and with less than £7.00 payable on duties and VAT will be delivered without the additional costs being demanded.

Every Day is a Lovely Day
Debbie

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »

Zorro - I don't think that the Detector pro pistol probe is on sale in the UK anywhere at the moment - I understand that the probes are not Rohs compliant.
Deb
outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:59:20 PM »

well done Millsy, i noticed that too, must take him ages to dig signals, or perhaps he wasnt a detectorist, more over a salesmen Huh
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »

I WOULD OF LOVED TO WATCH HIM DIG OUT THAT AXEHEAD FROM TAFFS VIDEO  WITH  HIS CAKE SLICE ,,,,,,    HE WOULD PROBABLY  STILL BE THERE    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »

I don't know how you only get an inch "in air" with the Garrett? I've got one and mine sound off about 5 or 6 inches from metal "in air". I love the fact its loud, rugged, easy to use, compact and has a variable vibrate intensifying as you near the target.

I've had a few probes over the years and they've all broken from wear.

The worst was a Whites which I had free and sold on, still in it's box and looking like new. It was dreadful.
The Merlin and Sherlock probes were better but again they played up when damp/wet.

The Garrett probe is so good I've got two!!!

I agree with Brian. I don't like the look of that gun and all I can say is the Garrett does the business and
it's not so cumbersome.

I can't be the only one to sing its praises if they've sold over 4000 at £80 each !!!!

Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

I've got the older version of the gun, the uniprobe pocket, it's much the same exept it has the probe on a coiled lead, as apposed to it being one piece and looking like a gun.
It is really good with 6" easy on a small coin, BUT, it drives my minelab nuts unless you have the search coil about six feet away or you turn the detector off, hence i bought the Garret as a backup after having to borrow RJM'S pro pointer when my uniprobe was suffering cross talk from my minelab (yes they will freak each other out sometimes, minelabs and PI stuff dont play nicely together). There is little between them on depth IN THE GROUND, forget the air tests. i find myself using the garret as my probe of choice now.
Also there are deals to be had, i got mine for £75 including first class recorded from Detecknics, you just need to haggle.
Salty

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »

Hi Salty

Nice to see you on here with us intellectuals!

Is that a picture of you on your profile Huh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL  (only joking)

Salty (Karl) Cardiff Scan Club

Uses an E-trac and a G2

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »

The Mrs had made one of her chillies that day Grin

Never Mistake my Kindness for Weakness

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal