Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reward wait after Roman coin find in Newport.  (Read 5539 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »

Reward wait after Roman coin find in Newport.

A metal detector enthusiast who discovered a treasure trove of nearly 600 Roman coins in a field is waiting to hear how much he will receive.
After four hours' digging near Newport, Brian Stephens found 587 silver denarii dating back some 2,000 years. The coins represented about two years' salary for a soldier

Fragments of a pottery container were also found nearby. The haul has been declared treasure and will be held at the National Museum Wales in Cardiff. Mr Stephens, 45, will have to share his reward with the owner of the field.

At the treasure trove hearing, Gwent coroner David Bowen described it as "a particularly significant find," and the small coins were showing little wear.

The total haul at Llanvaches eventually comprised 599 silver denarii, buried in the years around AD160.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Stephens, a metal detector enthusiast of 25 years, said he had never found anything as significant before.

"I knew what it was straight away," he said. It took about four hours to get out because the ground was so hard."

He said the coins showed various Roman leaders, including Nero and Marcus Aurelius.

"We found 587 but then we found another 12. I was a bit excited to say the least.

"I couldn't believe that had been buried for 2,000 years.

'A considerable sum'

"They were only about 4in (10cm) below. I found one and then another and then there was a whole lump of them," he added.

Edward Besly, a numismatist at the museum, said: "Llanvaches lies between the fortress of the second Augustan legion at Caerleon and the local tribal capital, Venta Silurum, at Caerwent.

"At the time, these coins would have represented about two years' wages for a legionary soldier - and would have taken much longer to save.

"Whether the life savings of a retired soldier who settled locally, or the proceeds of commerce relating to Caerleon or Caerwent, the Llanvaches find represents a considerable sum of money and is one of the largest 2nd Century silver coin hoards recorded from Roman Britain."

But Mr Stephens will have to wait to discover the value of the coins. They will be assessed by experts before he finds out how much reward he will receive.

"What happens is that the hoard will now go for valuation by an independent committee which establishes what it regards as a fair market value and that's the basis of the reward," said Mr Besley.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »

And too think that some of my family live in Newport!
599 Silver Denarii, find of a lifetime I'd say  Smiley

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »

I live in Newport! How in hell did I miss this hoard! LOL Cheesy Cheesy

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »

Smiley find of a lifetime for that chap.......dreams are made of . Smiley
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »

wow Id be happy with just a couple of them beauties

Theres be a few Hoards found inbetween Caerleon and venta I know of 2 in the llanvaches area  its a real Roman wales hot spot
I was working for Business post a few years ago in that area and in an old guide book  it said a part of the land in the inner city wall at Caerwent hadnt been excuvated due to a farmer with a really bad attutue who wouldnt allow anyone on his land.
Id love a few hours in there  lol
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »

cough   cough   Undecided

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »

The Author of the above Piece Does not approve of nighthawking and would discourage anyone from visiting listed sites and doing such a deed   lol

DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »

We all dream of a find like that ! Grin

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
Ian.B
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 05:28:59 PM »

Great!
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

Spot on Phil.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal