Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Robbie Burns treasure hunt  (Read 1883 times)
proconsul
Proconsul

« on: September 21, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »

Somewhere in Scotland, a £10,000 gold and diamond mouse is buried, a love token seemingly hidden by Robbie Burns for his lover, ‘Clarinda’. Letters and a painting that give clues as to its whereabouts are published on a web site. The race is on to solve the bard’s cryptic billet doux and unearth the precious jewel!

According to the creators of ‘Bequest’, Robbie Burns was given the keepsake by an unnamed Scottish Earl. During a journey around Scotland he hid it for the benefit of Agnes McLehose, the subject of his unconsummated love - the ‘Clarinda’ he wrote to as her ‘Sylvander’. The letters, giving the clues as to where it was buried, were intercepted by Burns’ wife Jean, and hidden. They have recently emerged from her armoire, bought at a furniture sale.

Whether the story is fact or fantasy, the mouse is a reality. In order to find it, treasure seekers must log on to a web site www.burnsbequest.co.uk, pay a nominal £10 fee and make their deductions from the letters published there by story creator John Keiller from Cromarty, who designs web sites when he isn’t reading Burns. Alongside the letters on the web site is a painting by Ross-shire pop artist Michael Forbes. The painting also contains clues which come and go during the life of the web site.

Bequest has been put together by Joe Gibbs, co-promoter of Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival (7th & 8th August 2009), a whacky, independent festival of music and performing arts in the Highlands (Beauly, Inverness-shire), now in its sixth year. This year’s festival goers will get an advantage over other Bequest treasure hunters, as the final clues and version of the painting will be unveiled at the festival 72 hours before they appear on the web site.

“I have long been an admirer of Kit Williams’ 1970s book-based hunt for a golden hare – ‘Masquerade ‘ – and decided the current economic circumstances were auspicious to launch a web-based treasure hunt,’ said Joe Gibbs. “We decided on a Burns theme because of John’s interest in the subject and because it is one of the major themes of Homecoming Scotland.”

The jewelled mouse is in fact the work of Highland jeweller and goldsmith Susan Plowman from Achnasheen and Fortrose. The Bequest team are keen to point out that the mouse is not buried in any public or private garden or the grounds of any building. It is also accessible without threat to personal safety! 

“If you decide to start excavating your way across Scotland you will have to shoulder the responsibility if you are digging someone’s garden up,” said John Keiller. “Of course, if it’s a vegetable patch, the owner may be quite happy, but we wouldn’t bank on it.” Keiller says the puzzle could be solved by anyone over the age of 13.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:59:41 PM by admin » Logged
Malcolm.mtts

Every Day is a Lovely Day

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »

Well I know of quite a few addresses in the town of Ayr, where Burns lived, that it is not in because my relatives have dug their gardens for decades.... wah... hello.. none of them have detectors so I will take my detector with me next time I visit them to check their gardens.. just in case they missed it because it was that extra inch below where they dug.

Every Day is a Lovely Day

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal