Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a nice "true" story.  (Read 2014 times)
Stig(The)
Superhero Member

X-Terra 70 user.

« on: September 14, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »

Read this & just thought "what a great story"  Wink

It was the usual warm summer afternoon when my wife and I loaded the kids in the minivan, and headed for a local park for a short excursion. My kids love to go there to feed the ducks in the pond while I partake in my favorite hobby, metal detecting.

That day, my Dad was going to meet us there. I always enjoy the times that we go out detecting together, and he must as well, because he keeps putting up with me. When Dad showed up, we got out the detectors, and powered them up. We donned our headphones, pouches, trowels, and probes, and off we swung our way across the large inner city Park to find treasure.

We hadn’t been detecting for long (and our empty pouches proved it), when we noticed we had captured the attention of four young kids. They too, had come to the park with their Mother to enjoy the nice afternoon. From a distance, they watched as Dad and myself swung those odd sticks to and fro, only stopping to kneel down and start digging. We noticed the kids made their way to us, and stood quietly for at least a couple seconds before the usual, "Hey, Mister, what are you looking for?" popped out of one of their mouths.

When we told them we were mostly looking for money, the curiosities peaked. They followed us to each excavation, helping dig when we determined that "X" marked the spot. I think the kids had more fun helping dig in the holes than they would have, had they actually found something (which for the most part, we didn’t).

I noticed that my Dad was being followed by the oldest of the group, and he was staying right at the heels of Dads feet. Dad knelt down to dig, and his little shadow followed suit. If you could have only seen the look on that young kid’s face when Dad dug a silver ring. It was priceless! He acted as if Dad had just dug up a treasure chest full of gold and silver right there at Vander Veer Park! Needless to say, we all really enjoyed ourselves that day, but the story doesn’t quite end there.

Today, I visited my favorite Chinese restaurant for lunch with a couple fellow employees. When the waitress seated us, I recognized her as the Mother of the kids we had met at the park that day. So, out of the blue, I blurted out, "So, has your boy been bugging you for a metal detector?" She looked at me as if I was psychic, and asked, "Why yes, how did you know that?" I explained to her that it was my Dad and myself that were detecting at the park when her kids were there playing.

After she realized I was indeed one of the two guys from the park, she went on to tell me about her son’s excitement about metal detecting. Apparently, after that day, he bugged her about getting his own "money stick" until she finally gave in. His birthday present this summer was a brand new metal detector! She says he is having a ball with that thing.

Now, I don’t know about everyone else, but hearing that from her was better than any "treasure" we could have dug that day. It is really a good feeling to know that you, in less than an hour, influenced the life of a child in a positive way. I feel confident that, whatever that boy is digging up right now, he is still thinking about that coveted ring he saw that guy at Vander Veer Park dig up right in front of his eyes.

The challenge of history is to recover the past and introduce it to the present.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »

Ahhh now thats a nice story , really encapsulates the real meaning behind this great hobby.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

AHHH WHAT A NICE STORY  ITS FUNNY  HOW YOU CAN INFLUANCE PEOPLE ,,,,   I HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE  WHILST DETECTING  THE OTHER WEEK  A BUNCH OF KIDS   KEPT STOPPING  ME ASKING ,,,, ARE YOU LOOKING FOR PIRATES TREASURE Huh?   IS THERE GOLD  IN THE EARTH Huh     WHAT  DOES THIS BUTTON  DO  ,,,,,  WHAT  DOES  THAT  BUTTON  DO   HuhHuh      WHAT  DOES THAT NOISE MEAN Huh   ETC  ETC        ,,,,,,,,,,,  AFTER ABOUT  AN HOUR OF QUESTIONS  I SIMPLY  SMACKED THEM OVER THE HEAD WITH  MY  SHOVEL ,,,,,THEN THEY LEFT ,,,,,,,,,,,, SORTED  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy WAAAAAAA

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »

Lovely story!

When my middle boy was about 8 he used to come with me and I'd have trouble
avoiding his head as I dug the hole...his hand would be down there grabbing for
the coins. I used to let him keep the money we found.

He's now 23 and a couple of months ago rang me saying he wanted to go detecting.

It seems once you've got the bug it never leaves you.

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »

Millsy Your Lucky !!!!!!!!!! ....................My wife thinks I'm mad detecting. She's absolutely no interest whatsoever.

Even when I find something nice like a Hammered coin or Roman brooch she falls asleep.

Just guess I'll leave her to read her romantic novels!!  Ha ha ha ha

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal